Endometrial Cancer: A Victory Story from Endometrial Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN > Cancer: Stories of Courage

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Victory Story from Endometrial Cancer A Victory Story from Endometrial Cancer

Unread 04-20-2021, 05:27 PM
A Victory Story from Endometrial Cancer

I felt like it was time to revisit the Hyster Sisters to give an update.

One year ago tomorrow, I had my very scary surgery for a radical hysterectomy. I am emotional about it, because it was such a ****ty time to get cancer. Covid took away support systems, and I was really forced to put on my big girl pants.

I had Endometrial Adenocarcinoma stage II, grade IIIC1. The tumor was 7.5 cm, and I had a 9 cm fibroid near my cervix too. The cancer had spread to the right fallopian tube, both ovaries (right ovary nothing but tumor), cervical stroma involved, 2 lymph nodes, and suspicious cells in the pelvic wash, as well as more than 50% myometrial invasion.

My hysterectomy was DaVinci robotic, and was soooo much easier to recover from than I expected. The worst pain I had (seriously) was the shoulder pain that comes from the gas they pump into you to open up the cavities for organ removal. That gas travels up a nerve and lands in your shoulders. I described it like sciatica in the shoulders.

One month after surgery, I started chemo. (Taxol/Carbo). I fared really well through that, as I eat super healthy, and am just plain stubborn. My bloodwork stayed in normal range throughout my treatment. I really worked for that!! I did everything I normally would last summer, just watched my sun time while I gardened and mowed the lawn. I also really embraced chemo. I was a dork who looked forward to my chemo days. They put my head back in the game and made me focus on my one job: beat this cancer and survive to find a better day!!

During my diagnosis and treatments, things were pretty terrible between my husband and I. He just couldn't be the guy I needed, nor could he even be faithful. He left (by mutual agreement) after my third chemo. I knew he was seeing someone. Sure enough, 3 weeks after he moved out, there's a picture of him and his new girlfriend on Facebook. They started living together almost immediately.

Not gonna lie, ladies. It was a bitter time. But his departure was so necessary. And while I questioned God's timing at the time, I see it all really clearly now that I am 10 months out from his betrayal. I am including this part of my story for a reason! Cancer comes to wake us up-it's God's way of kicking us in the ***. The stuff I was putting up with from this narcissist was most of the reason I got cancer. I am not blaming HIM, I am blaming my inability to deal with his hurtful actions. Stress. Major player in cancer.

In the 10 months since he left, I have embraced the pain and betrayal, and held it in my hands, studied it, hurt through it, and am getting to the other side of it. I am still his office manager, but after the divorce is final this next Monday, I will be quitting. I am almost done getting my health coaching certificate, and am going to be devoting my glorious abilities to helping people get their health back. I have a new purpose that is so much more important than being someone's doormat.

The biggest idea I want to impart to those just starting the cancer journey is to embrace this opportunity. I have worked with a functional MD for a few years now for my autoimmune disease. When we had an emergency meeting after my cancer diagnosis, she told me I needed to get to a place where I was thankful for the cancer. I can for sure tell you that I thought she was CRAZY! But, yep....somewhere last autumn I got very grateful for what cancer has done for me.

Kort Davies suggests that we make a list of 100 ways cancer has served us. If you flip your thinking, you flip your life, and where you will land after you finish your treatments, surgeries, and worrying.

There's life on the other side! I know how scary the beginning is. Get geared up to be the warrior you are, and go slay it. Be thankful your body gave you the heads up to address this cancer. Remember, our bodies haven't betrayed us. They are working all the time to heal us, and help us do the right thing.

I am honestly a better person having been through the most difficult year of my adult life. I wish all of you a positive outlook, and a brave spirit as you heal and find a new way to live. A better way to live.

Here's to one year out of surgery, 6 months out of cancer, and to the best that's yet to come!

(If you made it to the end of my long-winded story, thank you for reading)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2021, 11:52 AM
A Victory Story from Endometrial Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Wun View Post
I felt like it was time to revisit the Hyster Sisters to give an update.

One year ago tomorrow, I had my very scary surgery for a radical hysterectomy. I am emotional about it, because it was such a ****ty time to get cancer. Covid took away support systems, and I was really forced to put on my big girl pants.

I had Endometrial Adenocarcinoma stage II, grade IIIC1. The tumor was 7.5 cm, and I had a 9 cm fibroid near my cervix too. The cancer had spread to the right fallopian tube, both ovaries (right ovary nothing but tumor), cervical stroma involved, 2 lymph nodes, and suspicious cells in the pelvic wash, as well as more than 50% myometrial invasion.

My hysterectomy was DaVinci robotic, and was soooo much easier to recover from than I expected. The worst pain I had (seriously) was the shoulder pain that comes from the gas they pump into you to open up the cavities for organ removal. That gas travels up a nerve and lands in your shoulders. I described it like sciatica in the shoulders.

One month after surgery, I started chemo. (Taxol/Carbo). I fared really well through that, as I eat super healthy, and am just plain stubborn. My bloodwork stayed in normal range throughout my treatment. I really worked for that!! I did everything I normally would last summer, just watched my sun time while I gardened and mowed the lawn. I also really embraced chemo. I was a dork who looked forward to my chemo days. They put my head back in the game and made me focus on my one job: beat this cancer and survive to find a better day!!

During my diagnosis and treatments, things were pretty terrible between my husband and I. He just couldn't be the guy I needed, nor could he even be faithful. He left (by mutual agreement) after my third chemo. I knew he was seeing someone. Sure enough, 3 weeks after he moved out, there's a picture of him and his new girlfriend on Facebook. They started living together almost immediately.

Not gonna lie, ladies. It was a bitter time. But his departure was so necessary. And while I questioned God's timing at the time, I see it all really clearly now that I am 10 months out from his betrayal. I am including this part of my story for a reason! Cancer comes to wake us up-it's God's way of kicking us in the ***. The stuff I was putting up with from this narcissist was most of the reason I got cancer. I am not blaming HIM, I am blaming my inability to deal with his hurtful actions. Stress. Major player in cancer.

In the 10 months since he left, I have embraced the pain and betrayal, and held it in my hands, studied it, hurt through it, and am getting to the other side of it. I am still his office manager, but after the divorce is final this next Monday, I will be quitting. I am almost done getting my health coaching certificate, and am going to be devoting my glorious abilities to helping people get their health back. I have a new purpose that is so much more important than being someone's doormat.

The biggest idea I want to impart to those just starting the cancer journey is to embrace this opportunity. I have worked with a functional MD for a few years now for my autoimmune disease. When we had an emergency meeting after my cancer diagnosis, she told me I needed to get to a place where I was thankful for the cancer. I can for sure tell you that I thought she was CRAZY! But, yep....somewhere last autumn I got very grateful for what cancer has done for me.

Kort Davies suggests that we make a list of 100 ways cancer has served us. If you flip your thinking, you flip your life, and where you will land after you finish your treatments, surgeries, and worrying.

There's life on the other side! I know how scary the beginning is. Get geared up to be the warrior you are, and go slay it. Be thankful your body gave you the heads up to address this cancer. Remember, our bodies haven't betrayed us. They are working all the time to heal us, and help us do the right thing.

I am honestly a better person having been through the most difficult year of my adult life. I wish all of you a positive outlook, and a brave spirit as you heal and find a new way to live. A better way to live.

Here's to one year out of surgery, 6 months out of cancer, and to the best that's yet to come!

(If you made it to the end of my long-winded story, thank you for reading)!
Thank you for sharing. Your strength is inspirational, and your attitute is sensational.
You go, girl!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register