Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Unread 06-18-2021, 12:19 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Dear sisters,
I’m sorry to hear so many of you are suffereing from constipation..
When the bowels slow down or stop moving for a few days some constipation may be expected. Factor in anesthesia, decreased time spent resting and pain medicine, it can compound the problem. You may have had endo excision on your bowels, you may have had a very large space left from uterus with fibroids where bowels are taking up now, not to mention the trauma of surgery.

It’s best to avoid straining. It puts pressure on the healing vaginal cuff tissue and pelvic floor, similar to lifting, pushing or pulling.

Here is a novel about combatting pooping painful rocks.
Sorry!

LAXATIVES vs STOOL SOFTENER vs FIBER

Stimulant, lubricant or saline action to evacuate stool faster, easier or both. I encourage you to do your own research and talk with your doctor.

#1 Tip, use a short stool so you can raise you knees while seated on the throne. This position eliminates an extra ‘kink in the pipes’ and lets the poop exit easier, mechanically speaking. Human anatomy is designed to squat while eliminating. A sling closes off the rectum while standing, squatting releases that sling to allow a BM to exit. The closer you are to full squat, the better.

Traditional Laxatives sold over the counter, contain a stimulant that cause the intestines to increase the the wave like motions of the digestive tract that move food along, found in senna, and products like dulcolax, fleet, correctol. These are too strong for your bowels after surgery and are potentially harmful. Don’t use these unless specifically directed by your doctor such as with risk of impaction.

There are other products like mineral oil and aloe vera gel, enemas or suppositories (don’t unless specifically instructed to do so by your doctor). Again, do your own research and get permission.

Commonly recommended are stool softeners, working through emollient or saline action. Drawing in more fats and/or water into the stool to make it easier to pass. They do not make you go faster, just easier. Stool softeners work to prevent constipation, but they won’t treat an already hard stool that has been sitting in your colon for several days. Ducosate sodium is the main ingredient in OTC stool softeners like Colace, or polyethylene glycol in Miralax.

The most natural way to prevent constipation is with FIBER.

There are fiber containing products that bulk up your poop, make it fluffier and more able to hold water, which then enables it to pass easier. These products will not effect the hard stool sitting in your colon, but with regular use, help form stool that are easier to pass. Psyllium husk in Metamucil, methylcellulose in Citracel.

Making strategic, fiber rich food choices are the BEST way to combat trying to poop painful rocks.

Lots of green vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, leafy greens, fruits with the skin, like apple, pear, berries), whole grains (oats are great) nuts and legumes, however some of the highest fiber containing foods are also gas producing. So make careful selections until the gas has passed (hopefully by now).

Strategy is key here. In my experience, eating a salad for lunch might be a good start, but incorporating fiber through out the day was really helpful. Any breads, pasta, crackers, white rice, white potatoes, heavy proteins and fat, all those foods are quick to make rocks and the meat and fats can make slow moving pasty poop... But if you eat balanced fiber with your starch, meat and fats, you can prevent future painful bowel movements.
Parsley sprinkled on spaghetti doesn’t count, but equal amounts salad and pasta do! Eating cake with frosting, pair with a close ratio of fresh berries or fruit.
Pizza? Eat with an equal amount of salad or so loaded with veggies you can’t see the cheese.

I left out dairy. It causes me lots of digestion distress so I’ve cut it out of my diet. It has no fiber and doesn’t contribute to smooth moves. Cheese can be constipating for some or have the opposite effect on others. It’s just always a good choice to balance fiber with non fiber.

Regardless of the product or food choices, if you aren’t drinking WATER, WATER, and MORE WATER, you will still have difficulty.

My own doctor recommended taking a magnesium supplement. There are many choices from powders, to gummies to pills. Also found in foods like DARK CHOCOLATE, almonds and dark leafy greens. I took a low dose pill form with a tall glass of water every night before bed and woke up to a bowel movement that I didn’t even need to push. It evacuated completely, all on its own. This was after about a week and a half of very slow, infrequent, movements that left me quite uncomfortable. Those first two weeks were measured my whether I had a BM that day or not. I continued to manage my bowels with fiber, water and magnesium for the full 12 weeks I was under my doctors care. My first experience e with constipation after the initial early part of recovery resulted in some vaginal discomfort the rest of the day. That was my body telling me to pay attention to how I eat.

Last but not least is walking. Walking increases bowel motility naturally and safely.

I’m hopeful you will overcome this obstacle.
Wishing you ladies the smoothest moves!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2021, 07:29 PM

Hi Everyone.

My surgery was June 10th, and I'm settling in and adjusting to life after surgery. I feel good most days unless I stand a lot. Standing causes some pain. I'm feeling pretty good overall. Should I still be having some pain a week later?

Prayers for all of you. I'm so excited to be part of this community.
Unread 06-18-2021, 07:37 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaM1980 View Post
You're definitely not alone! We're here for each other through the good, the bad and the ugly. I hope your day goes well!
Thankyou for replies and advice everyone..
As you say it’s the one thing I wasn’t prepared for and nice to know it wasn’t just me.,, Dr had given me stool softeners but it was obviously the bit in bowel before I started them that was problem! All sorted now and coffee did help! New problem today was on waking I felt I was hit by a bus so stayed in bed and went back off to sleep till midday so really need to get my head around the LONG recovery and slow it down more. It’s the question of do I cut pain relief down so I aren’t over doing it or keep on top of pain and then feel frustrated as I feel I could do more? Just feel a bit of a fraud occasionally as everyone says … you don’t look like you just had an op but definitely feel like it myself most of the time!
Unread 06-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Internal Ache

As the pain from external incisions slowly lessens I'm noticing I feel internally weird and uncomfortable, sore, sometimes pain in my pelvic region. Is this normal??? I'm nervous and scared.
Unread 06-19-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taragarland12 View Post
Hi Everyone.

My surgery was June 10th, and I'm settling in and adjusting to life after surgery. I feel good most days unless I stand a lot. Standing causes some pain. I'm feeling pretty good overall. Should I still be having some pain a week later?

Prayers for all of you. I'm so excited to be part of this community.

HelloTara,

So glad you have joined us! Pain and discomfort are a part of the healing process that happens in stages. You just had organs removed, multiple connective tissues cut, a new supportive structure created at the top of your vagina and an artery and other blood vessels cut and cauterized, not to mention multiple stitches. Healing takes weeks to months. The vagina cuff heals slowly because of the moist environment. At 11 weeks post op, I still had unhealed tissue at the cuff. You may find as discomfort fades in one area, new aches and pains arise in a different area.

Take it easy, give yourself time to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls1 View Post
Thankyou for replies and advice everyone..
As you say it’s the one thing I wasn’t prepared for and nice to know it wasn’t just me.,, Dr had given me stool softeners but it was obviously the bit in bowel before I started them that was problem! All sorted now and coffee did help! New problem today was on waking I felt I was hit by a bus so stayed in bed and went back off to sleep till midday so really need to get my head around the LONG recovery and slow it down more. It’s the question of do I cut pain relief down so I aren’t over doing it or keep on top of pain and then feel frustrated as I feel I could do more? Just feel a bit of a fraud occasionally as everyone says … you don’t look like you just had an op but definitely feel like it myself most of the time!

cls, Glad to hear you are now enjoying smoother moves!
Hitting the wall of fatigue after being thrown into surgical menopause is no stroll through the park. Wether you are using hormone replacement or not, the sudden imbalance of hormones may cause a variety of difficult symptoms until your body adjusts and adapts.

DO NOT LET OTHERS SHAME, DISCOUNT OR OTHERWISE, your recovery. It can be helpful for them to watch a YouTube video of a hysterectomy surgery, since they “can’t see” what you are healing from. I’m so sorry you are experiencing a lack of compassion and understanding from others. It’s a good thing you joined us,
:grouphug: because we do know and understand.

You may find additional support in the Menopause Forum or No Uterus, No Ovaries, No HRT Forum

Also a helpful article:
5 Interesting Facts About Surgical Menopause

Even if you have decided against HRT, there are other options to help you manage symptoms, be sure to keep in touch with your doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Bunny View Post
As the pain from external incisions slowly lessens I'm noticing I feel internally weird and uncomfortable, sore, sometimes pain in my pelvic region. Is this normal??? I'm nervous and scared.

Jen,
Try to relax, breathe. You will definitely find healing and recovery comes in stages. And with those stages is are different discomforts. I didn’t start spotting until day 8, it was about the 2-3 week mark that I started having cramps, zaps, zings and twinges and true swelly belly didn’t occur for me until week 6 when I resumed many of my normal activities. As you start doing more, it’s common to start feeling ‘more’.

It’s good to cut back on the pain medicine if you are able with a goal to be functional, and relatively comfortable, not necessarily elimination of all sensations. Some women don’t take any or need any additional pain relief, some need it initially and some need it for a week or two. Though we all have shared experiences, it’s really true that we shouldn’t compare our recovery to someone else’s, since each of our bodies are so unique.

That said if you are having increasing, debilitating pain, you should discuss it with your doctor. Here’s some helpful info on Communicating Pain with your Doctor.

Unread 06-19-2021, 05:19 PM

[quote=RLanae;1527841187]Home, and starting my recovery. So happy to be on the other side of this procedure! Already feeling more like myself than the first few hours.

To all my hystersisters, especially those who share my surgery date (6/8), hoping a speedy recovery to us all!

Just found this website today and feel so encouraged! I’m a 6/8 hyster!
Unread 06-20-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLanae View Post
Home, and starting my recovery. So happy to be on the other side of this procedure! Already feeling more like myself than the first few hours.

To all my hystersisters, especially those who share my surgery date (6/8), hoping a speedy recovery to us all!
Thank you mines was 6/7. Going for post op follow up 6/22
Unread 06-20-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFaith View Post
Home, and starting my recovery. So happy to be on the other side of this procedure!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent469 View Post
Thank you mines was 6/7. Going for post op follow up 6/22
:
Hello, Hello - So glad you joined us FAITHand CRESCENT!
Welcome to your support thread. This your place to share, ask and vent… alongside sisters who had their surgery the same week as you.
Please don’t be shy, introduce yourself and share your experience to encourage and be encouraged.
Unread 06-20-2021, 11:00 PM

Hello ladies, my recovery is coming along fine. I have a question about walking. I can't seem to walk upright. I try to be aware of it and straighten up but it doesn't feel comfortable yet. How long does this stage last? I had 5 holes and one small cut below my belly button. I know each person is different, I'm just trying to figure out if I am in the range of normalcy or will I ever walk normal again?
Unread 06-21-2021, 06:50 PM

Hope today finds you ladies continuing to heal well.

I had a brilliant (in my opinion) inspiration and thought I would share it with you in case it would ease some discomfort.

In surgery, some of my pubic hair was shaved/trimmed and it is very prickly in some areas. So, I was inspired to put a little bit of petroleum jelly (tube from when I did the fleet enema prior to surgery) in the creases where the legs and pubic area join(no where near the urethra or anyplace surgical—and absolutely do not put anything in the vagina!). It helped me from not feeling like I have a porcupine between my legs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register