Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 10,2018 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 10,2018 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 10,2018

Unread 06-04-2018, 04:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 10,2018

If your hysterectomy was between Jun 04-Jun 10,2018 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your hysterectomy recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns instead of including the question in your update! There is information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here? or you can use this link: Post a New Topic in the Post-Op forum.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

We hope you are recovering well with plenty of rest and water and a bit of walking. Don't forget to pamper the princess!

How to use the Recovery Progress Reports thread:

• 1. This thread is for the purpose of sharing updates on your recovery as you heal from your hysterectomy.

• 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress and to share encouragement with your surgery week Sisters.

• 3. Remember to start a new thread on the Post-Op message board to ask your questions.

• 4. The Progress Report threads now begin in our special forum for all Hysterectomy Recovery Reports and will remain there for you to always find your discussion.
  • 5. Remember all the love and support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of women helping women!
  • 6. You can also share support and experiences with post-op members in all phases of recovery in the Post-Op Hysterectomy Support forum by replying on the new threads they create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2018, 09:24 AM

to your Recovery Progress Report Thread! 

This thread is safe place where you can compare experiences, share progress, vent frustrations and ask questions throughout your recovery. There are no silly questions, and there is no such thing as TMI when discussing your recovery. This is a new experience for everyone here.

Kindness, caring and understanding will make this thread an invaluable tool in your recovery. One of the most important aspects of this thread is to remind you that you are not alone. We are all taking this journey together

I am your SunshineSister and here to share my personal experiences and the things I have learned from other sisters. I have suffered severe bleeding and cramps since I was 16 years old. I tried Mirena and ablation, but neither helped long term. I finally had my LAVH on 1/23/18 with tubes and cervix removed as well. Pathology of my uterus discovered adenomyosis. My surgery was uneventful and without complications; however, it was still was a long recovery measured in weeks and months, not days.

Recovery is different for everyone. There are many types of hysterectomies and some sisters may have additional work done. It is very important Not to Compare Your Recovery to Others’. However, despite these differences, there are many similarities to share. Initial recovery may take 6-12 weeks, and complete healing can be up to a year. You know your own body, listen to it. It will definitely tell you when you’ve done Too Much Too Soon

Please complete the member survey, which will show your surgery type on your profile. This is incredibly helpful, as answers to certain questions depend on this. Also, please take the time to fill out some details about yourself and your location. 

-Follow your doctor’s orders orders and restrictions.

-Accept help from family and friends; you just had MAJOR SURGERY!

-Drink lots of water and eat healthy, tummy friendly foods.

-Rest, Rest, Rest and Rest

-Walk a little each day, no hills, running, jumping or skipping. This is essential to preventing Blood Clots and alleviating gas pain.

-No lifting, pulling, pushing or bending

-Remember your breathing exercises. They can really help to expel the anesthesia from your lungs.

-This site has many great Hysterectomy Recovery Articles, so explore those while doing some of that resting.

As you begin your healing journey remember you just had MAJOR SURGERY! Recovery is measured in weeks, not days. You only have ONE CHANCE to heal the right way. Listen to your body and take care of you. This is your main task for the next few weeks. I am here to help, along with all of your new sisters.

Unread 06-05-2018, 04:20 PM
36 hours post and doing great!

hi y'all. had a full laparoscopic hyster. ovaries stayed. fallopian tubes gone. and a posterior repair. released the next day. 4 incisions rather than 3 bc my uterus mass was larger than expected and more fibroids found. but all vital signs excellent so here I am! hardest part was dealing with the C02 gas. beneath the skin felt and sounded ike rice krispiies! the pain shot all the way to my shoulder and neck. patience is key... lots of water.... walking... I found putting my arms up over my head in bed helped to move the gas around. had a long uber ride back from the hospital. that was rough. overall doing amazingly well but I'm well aware of how important rest is as well doing a little at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2018, 09:43 PM
1 1/2 days Post Op. Feeling Great!

Hi ladies! I'm writing this as I'm still lying in the hospital, but I wanted to share my experience. Yesterday I was a nervous wreck prior to surgery. But all the staff were great and had me laughing and it helped relax me.The anesthesiologist came and talked to me and then ordered some anxiety meds to help with nerves. My surgeon came to check on me and we chatted until the OR was clear to go in. I remember meeting a bunch of people in the OR and having me scoot myself from one bed to the operating table. They have me an oxygen mask and then...lights out. Lol!

The next thing I know I woke up in recovery. Not to frighten anyone, since all women are different, I woke up in excruciating pain. They hadn't continued my pain meds until I woke up to see what my pain levels were. So I remember moaning loudly in pain, begging for meds. Finally the pain started to subside and they took me up to my room. I have my own room with a nice ocean view!
So last night was good. They had me on a PCA morphine drip which totally helped my pain. They gave me water, Ginger ale and I ate some crackers.No nausea so that was good. And they didn't bother me too much so I got a bit of rest.
Today has been good. My surgeon, who'd also my gynecologist, came in and told me that my surgery went very well, though I had alot of endometrial scarring that she also found on my colon. She told me that this could finally explain my GI bleed that I had several years ago that resulted in a blood transfusion. Anyways, I had minimal bleeding and she said I did extremely well.
They finally took the catheter out and I've been walking the ward and going to the bathroom on my own. I'm able to shower and am surprised at how little pain I'm feeling. Dont get me wrong, I feel some but it's not nearly as bad as anticipated. Tomorrow I should be released and I'm looking forward to my own bed. I have very light spotting and my incision looks good, no leaking. So far my experience has been good. All those nerves for what ?So all is well and I'm hoping the rest of my recovery goes well. Oh, and so far no menopause symptoms, but I'm sure they will come soon lol.
Unread 06-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Several of you have had your surgeries already. I hope you’re all healing well

Here are some good reads for early recovery

Do This Not That: Hysterectomy Recovery

Getting in and out of Bed after Hysterectomy

Incision Care After Hysterectomy

3 Ways to Get Some Sleep after Hysterectomy

Body Mechanics During Recovery

Having a bowel movement will be one of your biggest challenges. If you’re like I was, you’ll send out texts informing your husband and closest friends of this monumental achievement

10 Foods to Get Your Bowels Moving after Hysterectomy

And let’s not forget the pesky gas situation going on for laparoscopic ladies!

CO2 Gas Pain After Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Gas Gas Gas After Hysterectomy

Please post when you’re able and let us know how you’re doing.

Unread 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 04-Jun 10,2018

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy yesterday, removing everything but the ovaries. I wasn't nervous at all until I got in the car with my mom and aunt to head to the hospital, but everything went smoothly. I answered a lot of questions, signed a lot of forms, gave blood and urine samples... I was really curious about the drug that would make me forget - I remember being wheeled into the OR, where lots of people were getting ready. I may have been answering questions. The next thing I remember is waking up and being told I was in recovery. I lay there for a while, repositioning my legs now and then and eating ice chips in between dozing off. I was told it went very well, and as soon as a bed was ready, I was taken up to the third floor. My mom went with me and talked to the nurse a bit, then left for the night. At that point I was pretty painful (I gave it a 5/10, though I tend to downplay things). I was (and still am) on an ONQ pump delivering bupivicaine very slowly.

I was just a bit too late for dinner service, so the nurse brought me some jello, a cup of (very hot) chicken broth, and a popsicle. Then I asked her to help me get up and try to walk. I didn't quite feel up to it yet, but I wanted to try. Getting up was the hard part, but then I kept up a steady shuffle out the door and down the hall, and then back. My ONQ pump injection site started to bleed, but the incision itself was fine, so the nurse cleaned me up a bit and put some gauze over it - it didn't start bleeding again. After that I went to sleep for a few hours before being woken up every few hours for meds, blood draws, and listening to a new roommate being brought in.

In the morning I got a bland, solid breakfast - eggs, toast, fruit, juice, milk, and some coffee and grits that I didn't want. It was good to eat, though! After that my family came to visit briefly. At that point (around 9:30) I thought I'd be out by 2 in the afternoon, but then my doctor arrived and got the nurse to take out my urinary catheter (that, and tape being removed from my skin, were the worst parts by far). I was able to urinate on my own (a little slow the first time, with some old discharge), so I was pretty much discharged on the spot.

After coming home, I sat up and had a sandwich, then lay down for a while, getting up now and then to go to the bathroom. I've had no trouble urinating, though I haven't had a bowel movement yet (but I didn't eat anything solid yesterday, so I'm not concerned at this point). I'm drinking lots of water and tea. I've had a little gas, but it passes easily and mostly painlessly (rolling gently from side to side helped at first). Getting up and down is the hard part, but it's not impossible. My doctor and nurses were all impressed with how well I'm doing, and I hope that continues! I have my post-op appointment next Tuesday, and may be cleared to drive at that point. We'll see. When I lie still, I feel just fine, but movement brings some pain. All in all, though, I'm pleased so far and looking forward to being able to move easily again!

I hope the rest of you are doing well! It'll get better!
Unread 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicalex View Post
hi y'all. had a full laparoscopic hyster. ovaries stayed. fallopian tubes gone. and a posterior repair. released the next day. 4 incisions rather than 3 bc my uterus mass was larger than expected and more fibroids found. but all vital signs excellent so here I am! hardest part was dealing with the C02 gas. beneath the skin felt and sounded ike rice krispiies! the pain shot all the way to my shoulder and neck. patience is key... lots of water.... walking... I found putting my arms up over my head in bed helped to move the gas around. had a long uber ride back from the hospital. that was rough. overall doing amazingly well but I'm well aware of how important rest is as well doing a little at a time.
I'm finding the gas to be seriously annoying. It's more painful then my incision. And now that I'm home from the hospital, I'm having a gmhard time with my binder and the cloth they have over my incision. It doesn't want to stay in place anyone who'd had TAH, did you wear a binder or no?
Unread 06-06-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish17 View Post
I'm finding the gas to be seriously annoying. It's more painful then my incision. And now that I'm home from the hospital, I'm having a gmhard time with my binder and the cloth they have over my incision. It doesn't want to stay in place anyone who'd had TAH, did you wear a binder or no?
no binder for me though I had a laparoscopic. I read it's totally a personal choice. no right or wrong. no advantage or disadvantage. but I'm letting my inflamed belly hang out. between the gas and the constipation there's no point and no position is entirely comfortable. the gas was brutal. I tried to massage it around... lots of deep breaths helps... walking... but farting moves it out the fastest.
Unread 06-06-2018, 08:37 PM

i am 2 days post op. I have had some pain in the lower abdomen. I feel like i could do more around the house but scared i will end up in nothing but pain
Unread 06-06-2018, 08:39 PM

[quote=nicalex;1527480433]no binder for me though I had a laparoscopic. I read it's totally a personal choice. no right or wrong. no advantage or disadvantage. but I'm letting my inflamed belly hang out. between the gas and the constipation there's no point and no position is entirely comfortable. the gas was brutal. I tried to massage it around... lots of deep breaths helps... walking... but farting moves it out the fastest.[/QU
I hate the constipation i have tried walking changing position, also taking stool softners. I just dont want to strain

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register