Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Thread Tools
  #41  
Unread 06-15-2021, 02:45 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

  Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkoshjen View Post
My hysto was last Thursday, so I'm just a few days out. Gas pain is gone, dry mouth and sore throat gone, bleeding gone. And had my first BM, yay!

My biggest thing is the soreness from the incisions. Hurts to get up from a sitting position and down when standing. Doesn't really hurt much when I'm not moving.

When I am walking around, I bring a pillow or hold my abdomen with my hand. Coughing hurts like heck, luckily it doesn't happen too often. How long before the incisions get better?
Jen,

There isn’t really a set time for healing, it’s unique to each person. Incisions heal in stages and as they go through the different phases, you may experience changes in sensations but it will remain tender for some time. Even after the surface of the skin has closed, the inner layers of tissue that were cut are still healing and nerves knitting back together. It’s common to feel soreness for a few weeks, you may have experienced bruising, the areas near or between incisions can feel numb, tingly, or prickly. Sometimes there is even drainage (more often the umbilicus incision can be more prone to drainage and weeping). However, if there is increasing redness and swelling, warm to the touch or has a foul odor with drainage-get it checked out.

Here is a helpful article about using different Body Mechanics after your surgery.

Hooray for BM’s

So glad to hear the early discomforts are behind you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #42  
Unread 06-15-2021, 05:08 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Hello ladies, just wanted to check in with my healing process. Today I actually feel good. I took a shower and didn't need a nap afterwards. Yay! My incision area is quite itchy, guess that's part of the healing. My bowels are good however I may have went overboard with the peppermint senna tea and or stool softeners. I take one stool softener a day and a cup of tea. I have excruciating gas pains on my left side anytime I eat something. When the gas is released I feel so much better, until the next time I eat. Even sucking a piece of candy produces pains. Is this a problem of my own making?? Just so scared to strain having a bm...I had really bad constipation before surgery.
  #43  
Unread 06-15-2021, 05:41 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Phew, I just got home from getting my staples out. I really was carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey -- I had 30 staples removed from a 20 cm / 8 inch incision! That was seriously nerve wracking but at least it's over. I'm a lot more comfortable now, those staples were getting really irritating and pinching, and the holes were red and inflamed. The scar itself looks just fine though.

Five more weeks until I can take a bath and start lifting again . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #44  
Unread 06-15-2021, 10:41 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

  Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluRose View Post
Hello ladies, just wanted to check in with my healing process. Today I actually feel good. I took a shower and didn't need a nap afterwards. Yay! My incision area is quite itchy, guess that's part of the healing. My bowels are good however I may have went overboard with the peppermint senna tea and or stool softeners. I take one stool softener a day and a cup of tea. I have excruciating gas pains on my left side anytime I eat something. When the gas is released I feel so much better, until the next time I eat. Even sucking a piece of candy produces pains. Is this a problem of my own making?? Just so scared to strain having a bm...I had really bad constipation before surgery.

Dear sister, you may want to nix the senna first. Stool softeners are gentle enough on your sleepy bowels, but senna is a laxative and laxatives are too strong unless directed by your doctor. Gas is one of the side effects. Other sources of gas post surgery can include cruciferous vegetables (kale, cabbage, broccoli), beans, onions, garlic, artificial sweeteners, and some fruit sugars like plums (yep, good for constipation, but can cause gas) pears, and cherries to name a few. Once your insides settle back down you should be able to resume your normal diet, in a week or so.

I agree with no straining for bowel movements, it’s not good for the healing of the vaginal cuff and well, pain.

Lots of water, walking, and fiber are your best friends for easier elimination. Magnesium is also helpful by drawing water back into the stool to make it pass easier. Sources include dark chocolate, almonds, and dark leafy greens. My doctor suggested a magnesium supplement to help move my bowels. It was gentle and reliable. Something you might consider asking your doc.

Though it’s very uncomfortable, the discomfort should pass soon. Despite everything we try to help move things along, sometimes time is the only solution. Though it may be several weeks of managing your bowels or longer if you battle frequent constipation, now is the perfect time to make some new habits that will help combat future constipation.

As for the itchiness, really the only thing you can put on itchy incisions is an ice pack. It will help dull that insanely itchy itchiness.

I hope you get relief soon.
.

  #45  
Unread 06-16-2021, 04:39 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Good morning sisters
Yesterday marked one week post op. I went to see my doctor. I had been noticing some bladder pain, especially when emptying it. She said I have leukocytes in my pee and suspects bladder infection.
My pathology came back with adenocarcinoma in my uterus. This was definitely the right choice.
The infection part has me kinda nervous ans it’s made my pain level overall spike again but otherwise I’m doing ok.
  #46  
Unread 06-16-2021, 05:51 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Hello all,

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on 6/7 and so far I am doing very well. The surgery was successful and at my post-op appt. I learned my uterus weighed 1,088 grams and I had too many fibroid tumors to count. This news made me feel much better about the decision to have the hysterectomy. My largest fibroid tumor was stuck to a bunch of scar tissue and it somehow impacted by bladder, which they scoped during the procedure and the bladder was fine, thank god.

Overall the procedure wasn't bad and my large incision appears to be healing nicely. The first night my catheter was kinked and that was extremely painful, but after that, the pain level was bearable.

I have been good about getting walks in, but I was wondering, at this stage (1 week post-op) how much should I be walking? How much should we push ourselves to get steps in?
  #47  
Unread 06-16-2021, 07:44 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

  Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaTLC1228 View Post
Hello all,

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy on 6/7 and so far I am doing very well. The surgery was successful and at my post-op appt. I learned my uterus weighed 1,088 grams and I had too many fibroid tumors to count. This news made me feel much better about the decision to have the hysterectomy. My largest fibroid tumor was stuck to a bunch of scar tissue and it somehow impacted by bladder, which they scoped during the procedure and the bladder was fine, thank god.

Overall the procedure wasn't bad and my large incision appears to be healing nicely. The first night my catheter was kinked and that was extremely painful, but after that, the pain level was bearable.

I have been good about getting walks in, but I was wondering, at this stage (1 week post-op) how much should I be walking? How much should we push ourselves to get steps in?

Tessa,

We’re so glad you joined us!
That’s wonderful news that your recovery is going well.

As far as walking, hysterectomy recovery is not a time to push yourself, not like sports training. Walk as you are able, and increase gradually, every 2-3 days how long and far you go. Your body will tell you if you over do. If you think you are doing too much or pushing too far, you probably are. A good goal is 15 - 20 minutes a day. You may need to break that into three 5 minute walks or more, as you are able. Working your way up to a 15 minute walk. Once you reach that, don’t stop, continue to increase little by little. For a gal who is used to walking 3-5 miles a day, they will be walking longer sooner than someone who walked less prior to surgery.


  #48  
Unread 06-16-2021, 07:50 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

  Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
Good morning sisters
Yesterday marked one week post op. I went to see my doctor. I had been noticing some bladder pain, especially when emptying it. She said I have leukocytes in my pee and suspects bladder infection.
My pathology came back with adenocarcinoma in my uterus. This was definitely the right choice.
The infection part has me kinda nervous ans it’s made my pain level overall spike again but otherwise I’m doing ok.
GoneFishin
It can be hard to tell the difference between bladder discomfort after surgery and the very common occurrence of UTI.
Hopefully that discomfort will now resolve with the antibiotics.

  #49  
Unread 06-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

I feel emotionally strange today. I'm 5 days post op.
I got my radiology results back yesterday, I DID have adenomyosis and uterine fibroids. I know I had been taking a leap of faith by having this type of surgery, after all, there was no guarantee that's what I had. It was "suspected" but they made it very clear to me that they couldn't be definite on that until I had my hysterectomy.
Now it's been confirmed that I did have adenomyosis, it's made me feel validated and relieved. Not because something was wrong, but because there was a name for what I had going on, it wasn't all in my head, it wasn't just regular menstruation, it wasn't something I could just tell myself to "suck it up" and this surgery wasn't all in vain. I didn't realize how much I felt like I was faking it all until I had conformation of what it actually was. Like many women have it far worse than I've ever had it, that I shouldn't complain about my periods (my aunt died of cervical cancer when I was 11, so that mindset probably comes from that experience.)
It's strange the way we beat ourselves up for things we cannot control.
Anyway, thanks if you've read this. I feel I needed to vent that out and that you ladies would probably understand it.
  #50  
Unread 06-16-2021, 04:06 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jun 07-Jun 13,2021

Hi had my op 8/06 and seem to be recovering slowly but sufficiently! First second and third BM was awful and worse than it was PN!
Today was first day I haven’t needed a midday nap..
I was worried about bladder as up to today I felt no sensation to pass urine but today I actually have felt some so hopefully all slowly recovering.
Only concern now is today I passed a pea sized clot where up to now I had no pv loss so wondering if anyone had this happen? Is it a sign of doing too much? I had total hysterectomy.
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

October 16,2021

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  



Advertisement


Advertisement