Day 9 post hysterectomy with Bloated tight stomach | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day 9 post hysterectomy with Bloated tight stomach Day 9 post hysterectomy with Bloated tight stomach

Unread 08-04-2021, 06:02 PM
Day 9 post hysterectomy with Bloated tight stomach

Hello I am on day 9 from a laparoscopic robotic assist. total hysterectomy (left the ovaries). I am feeling ok but my stomach is still so swollen at times and so tight it hurts. I walk as much as I can around the house or the backyard. Today I made a simple breakfast but that took a lot out of me. Is there any tips I can do to get this swelling down. Maybe certain foods or cold compresses? I do take gas x and stool softeners but it's not doing too much half the time. I have a binder which helps at times but sometimes I just rip that off to get relief. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2021, 12:50 AM
Re: Day 9 with Bloated tight stomach

In my Recovery thread, others suggest icing the area and some found a binder helped. Neither of those helped me.
Mine is worse in the afternoon/evening. I am at 3 weeks today and it has improved a bit.
Having regular BM definitely helps. I’m using flaxseed and chia seeds every morning with lots of water to help with that.
Walking a bit then resting with my feet up in a reclined position helps a bit.
Unread 08-05-2021, 03:47 AM
Day 9 post hysterectomy with Bloated tight stomach

When it comes to beating the bloat, what you exclude from your diet matters just as much as what you include; the biggest culprits are fermentable carbohydrates from legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, apples, pears, plums and prunes, apricots, cherries, peaches, nectarines, and sweeteners ending in itol. As for what you do eat, the #1 recommendation to beat the bloat is to make sure your diet includes 25-35 grams of fiber per day from a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, but if your intake is nowhere near that, be sure to increase it slowly, because too much too soon can cause bloating; another top pick is magnesium from dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and almonds. Also keep in mind that these foods, along with the stool softeners, work best when accompanied by enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow. Starting your day with a hot cup of peppermint tea or a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, and squatting on the throne after every meal to stimulate the gastro-colic reflex - you can look that one up - can also help to give your bowels an extra kick. As for our old friend Swelly Belly that's a normal inflammatory response to the surgery, like when you sprain your ankle and the traumatized tissues become inflamed and swollen, and that will go when it's good and ready to go. Best wishes for moving past this stage soon, and for continued health and healing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2021, 05:21 AM
Re: Day 9 with Bloated tight stomach

I think it's more swelly belly than digestive. You're not even 2 weeks out from major surgery where ligaments, blood vessels and connective tissue was cut as well as organs removed. Whatever was bleeding was cauterized or stitched. Lots of internal trauma with inflammation, and with inflammation comes fluids and swelling. That can be with us for several weeks - 8 weeks for me, I've read 3 months for others. Sometimes having only a few small incisions belie what went on inside! What many of us don't realize is how much we use our core for simple tasks like standing and walking, so too much walking can make the swelling worse. Ibuprofen, an ice pack and resting are good bets for lessening it.

As far as making breakfast and getting wiped out, that tracks as well. I had the opportunity to go to a Hysterectomy Prep class at the hospital, lead by a gyn nurse who'd had the procedure. She recalled getting up, having breakfast, showering, folding a few clothes and crashing for a nap. Your body is using all of its resources in healing, leaving little energy for much else. This is one time to obey that impulse to rest, nap, whatever you need to heal. Healing is your #1 priority, and the pace is set by your body rather than some timeline on a piece of paper or in your head. You can't make it happen faster by doing more!

You joined us pre-op and posted a question earlier, but I'm not sure you've tapped into some of our resources here. These can help guide you through these first few weeks and help you know what to expect:I'd also like to invite you to connect with your Recovery Thread for women who had surgery the same week as you at Recovery Progress Reports for July 26-Aug 01. Recovery Threads are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, encouraging others, and keeping one another company.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register