For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing? For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing?

Unread 06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing?

If you're more than 6months post-op, I assume most of you sisters feel life is pretty much back to normal and memories of your surgery have already begun to fade. With the benefit of that distance, what would you now say was, for you personally, the worst thing about the experience?

Was it the gas pains? The swelly belly? The long, slow recovery? Fatigue? Pain? Or something I'm not even thinking about at this point?

I have less than 3 weeks to wait now. My husband feels I should just think happy thoughts and not focus on possible problem areas. But I always deal better with any kind of trauma if I know what to expect. It's being blindsided by the unexpected that knocks me for a loop.

Many, many thanks to all the helpful and generous sisters who visit this board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Re: For post-op sisters... what was the WORST thing?

altagal,

For me, it was two things. After waking up and being put in a room, the morphine pump was NOT enough. I was in so much PAIN! I just remember laying there crying and crying. Looking back on it, I give dh a hard time because he just sat there! The nurses had to page my and were finally able to give me some toradol (sp). Once the pain was under control, I had to pee, REALLY REALLY bad. But, nothing would come out. I remembered reading on here how other sisters put a warm wash cloth down there, lean back, etc. Well, that WAS NOT working. It seemed like FOREVER before I finally peed. In reality, it was probably two hours. But, the pressure was so intense.

Honestly, those two things were the WORST for me. I was very fortunate to have had an easy recovery.

Unread 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM

For me (I am almost at 5 months now but think I can add something to this). I remember having incredible backpain after my TVH. I had no problem with peeing, it was intense backpain from where they tied my ligaments and such. My surgery was the last one for the day so I remember going in to the operating room and then not waking up until being put in my room. I am very sensitive to motion (not motion sickness but other people being around me so when I am in a hospital I take too much in and I get exhausted.) After I sort of woke up, I remember being overwhelmed by everyone being there and with the pain I needed to have hot towels placed on my back during my stay. I thought I was better off when no one was in the room and it was quiet so I could "get my bearings back". Thank goodness I was in a single room at the far end of the hall. I also had bled a lot in the surgery so my strength was almost non existent. I remember staying an extra night and actually felt like I could deal with the world again after the second night as the nurses didn't bother me during the second night (my request) unless I paged them. If I had gone home after the first night I think I would have hid in my closet to try and get the quiet time that I really needed. After that, it took me 2 weeks to get rid of the back pain (1st week on pain meds and heating pad/ 2nd week heating pad only with tylenol once in a while.) After that it was trying to not do too much and going to the gym to walk (nothing else just walk) until I was released for other stuff. One more thing that drove me crazy for the first 6 weeks. I couldnt concentrate very well so reading books for me went pretty slow. LOL! I remember having to reread a few things to make sure what I was reading made sense. Everyone is different through this, but we made it through and so will you! Just keep letting us know what you need when you need it!
Hugs to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Before my surgery...I thought pain would be an issue, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it to be. I'm not saying it was a piece of cake, but I was able to handle it. The worsed for me was being so tired. Even being two or three weeks out...take a shower...I would have to take a nap. If I did anything...had to go take a nap. I couldn't finish anything I started without having to go take a nap....and that just frustrated me to no end. And for me it wasn't a slow building tired...it was BOOM...go lay down. My hyst was my first surgery...so I didn't have a clue of what to expect. Good luck to you. Since you asked for sister 6 months out....does that make me an oldie now?
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM

Its only been 9 days for me so far but the worst thing i think is the every time i stand up i feel like i am have a baby. And to go poop is almost imposable the pain is so bad . So have a laxative on hand after you come home you will need it.So thats what i have been through so far i hope it gets better. good luck
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Getting that first BM happening was probably the worst for me, and it wasn't all THAT bad, either.
No real pain issues, fatigue was manageable (I got to pamper myself plenty - I guess that helps).
The boredom got to me - specially when everyone is working during the week and I wanted company. Being unable to work in the garden is bothering me.

Don't worry yourself with horror stories about what happened to other people. Your DH is right, think happy thoughts and deal with things if and when they come up.
Expecting all sorts of trauma is just adding stress.

Zev
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:21 PM

I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow with a LAVH and the ONLY thing that bothered me was I had a very hard time peeing after the catheter came out. So please be aware that, that can happen! As LookingforaSis said the pressure is INTENSE!!!!

Other than that nothing has been bad for me! I have been very fortunate to have an uneventful recovery so far! (knock on wood!) :bigwink:

Hope you have an uneventful recovery too!!!!!

Unread 06-30-2009, 02:29 PM

I will be 12 weeks post-op tomorrow and I have to say the worst thing was the gas pains the day after surgery. I could NOT get them to go away and they were SO painful!!!
Unread 06-30-2009, 02:48 PM

I had my TAH on June 15th and all I had difficulties with was the gas pains. It's been a little over 2 weeks and I am still having problems, not so bad but they are still there. Usually before I have to go and then during the time I go. Otherwise I am doing just fine. I only took the meds for the first week and now I take advil when I feel uncomfortable and they do the trick. My surgery day for me was unbelievable, once I woke up in recovery I did not stop talking. My family thought I had a Turbo Shot from Dunkin Donuts. I felt great and I think I was just in a "HIGH" on knowing my uterus was gone forever. No more monthly problems for me and I know all of what I have gone through is the best thing ever. I did experience itchiness and had the sweats that first day too but otherwise my after surgery days in the hospital (2 days) was fine. Good Luck!
Unread 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM

For those who've had the problems with the gas pains, were you using Gas X or anything. I was so hopeful that it would help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register