Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital? Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital?

Unread 03-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital?

Hi all. I'm scheduled for a laproscopic hysterectomy, and I'm fully expecting to go home a few hours afterward. But it seems like everything I'm reading here is that everyone stays overnight. Anyone else go home? I am adamantly opposed to staying at the hospital overnight. Last time was after my c-section, and I was chomping at the bit to leave the very next morning! (They made me stay 48 hours.)

Also, will it be okay for me to be alone at home that night? I will have no one with me during the surgery, and am just going to call a friend to pick me up when I am released. I don't have plans to have anyone stay with me. My 6-year-old son will be with his dad that night.

Thanks!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Re: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital?

My doc said he has patients leave the evening of the procedure. I live 2.5 hours from the hospital, so he is having me stay overnight.

I was pretty out of it last year after my lap, if you could have someone stay with you it would be better. I had to have my husband help me to the restroom (the drugs really did a number on me, I was out of it) until they wore off.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM

Were you out of it because of the anesthesia? (I have never been put under before!) Or the pain meds? I didn't take any pain meds for my c-section--just Tylenol--so I wasn't planning to take any this time either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM

I went into surgery at 9:15. Was out at 11:15. In my room at 2pm and was home by 7:30 that same night. My Dr told me it was up to me if I wanted to stay or go home and I chose come home. He said that was fine as long as I could pee, hold food down, blood pressure stayed good, etc. I said well as long as it was my choice. But I was fine, I peed a few times and eat some dinner they brought to the room.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Yes the anesthesia did a number on me. I was already out of it and the nurse made me take a pain pill before the ride home. I wasn't planning to use them either (I avoided them after Csection as well), but you know what it hurt!

Not nearly as bad as the csection did, but I was surprised. They used a laser on the endo, and did the Novasure. So the cramping/burning was bad for me. I didn't have a baby to feed, so I took the meds.

This was my first time being put under. DH laughed at me because I couldn't put my own underwear on. Then when we got home I was starving, I wanted pudding (your throat will be sore), he said every time I took a bite I would make mmmm sounds and my eyebrows would raise. It was the best pudding ever!

Just be prepared, you might think you will be ok to get around by yourself at night, but I was not.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I went home. I was not given the option to stay overnight and did not need to.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Thanks, ladies. My surgery is at 3pm, so now I'm questioning whether i'll be able to go home. I have my pre-op appt with my doctor next week, so I'll confirm with her. I really REALLY do not want to stay at the hospital. I'll also ask about being alone that first night. I don't really have anyone who could stay with me without it being a huge inconvenience for them.
Unread 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM

I'm sorry if I added to your anxiety . I wasn't prepared for how I felt after surgery.
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM

my dr is going to keep me 3 days after my surgery since i live alone and have no support
Unread 03-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Stephanie--No worries! You didn't at all. I just want to be prepared ahead of time, though the Kaiser website says the I will not have to stay overnight post-op. I'm pretty optimistic about the surgery and my recovery...I'm in really good physical shape--I do Krav Maga and MMA conditioning--so I am hoping that will serve me well. :-)

Cali--Yikes! Three nights? I live alone too (well, me and my 6-year-old!), but my doctor never said anything like that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register