Please help - what does this mean? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help - what does this mean? Please help - what does this mean?

Unread 03-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Please help - what does this mean?

Just got my pathology report back and it said that my endo cancer was invasive (what does that mean???) into my uterine muscle and wall 1/3 way - also 4 of 30 lymph nodes biopsied came back positive. Does this mean I have lymphona? Has anyone has this? Was numb when talking to nurse so I couldnt' think of one question. See the DD on friday, but any help from you guys would be wonderful.
Had a TAH/BSO on 3/7. Was diag. grade 1 endo cancer then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Hi

I can clear up one little bit for you , about lymphoma

Your cancer was found in some of your lymph nodes - this isn't the same as lymphoma. It just means some cancer cells "escaped" from the uterus, and found their way (probably via your lymphatic system) into your lymph nodes. Lymphoma is quite a bit different, in terms of which cells are cancerous, how it spreads, etc.

Now, I'm not entirely sure about this, but I *think* your staging would be stage III, meaning the cancer had invaded into the uterine wall, and had been found in some lymph nodes.

Although I've worked in the medical field, I'm not a doctor, and I'm not really keen on giving too much "staging" info - honestly, the best thing to do is call your doc tomorrow and talk with him before your appt. That way, you can go online and research everything before you see him, and you'll be much better informed about your treatment options, if in fact you need further treatment.

Many s and best wishes,

Tess
Unread 03-19-2003, 06:43 PM

My TAH/BSO was one day before yours. One of my lymph nodes came back positive; the other two came back negative. What my doctor said was that this meant that the cancer had escaped and could be carried by my bloodstream to other organs. The treatment for this microscopic cancer in the lymph nodes is the same that I will undergo for the ovarian cancer.

I've been reading a book (Bald in the Land of Big Hair) by a girl who had lymphoma, and it sounds very different than what you have.

Your doctor is the best person to speak with. Frankly, it's suprising that he or she wouldn't have given you the results of your pathology so you could ask questions, or he/she could explain it to you at that time. I'm surprised that the nurse gave you the results without any explanation.

I hope everything will be fine. My mom, a retired nurse who is sitting behind me right now, said that the "invasiveness into your uterine wall" has been removed by the TAH. Further treatment is up to your doctor.

s for you! I hope everything turns out fine! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2003, 07:08 PM

Hi,

Invasive means that the cancer has spread from the endometrium, the lining of the uterus, to the myometrium, the muscle of the uterus. My own cancer extended up to 75% of the way into the muscle layer.

You do not have lymphoma, rather you have endometrial cancer that has spread from the uterus to the adjacent lymph nodes. For example, in some patients the cancer may spread to distant organs, such as the lungs, but they do not have lung cancer, they have endometrail cancer that has metastisized (spread) to their lungs.

My preoperative diagnosis was that I had a large fibroid. It was not until my uterus was removed that we realized that the "fibroid" was actually cancer. Because of this, my lymph nodes were not sampled. However, because of the extent of the cancer, I would have to undergo radiation therapy.

Have your doctors discussed radiation therapy with you yet? If you do have to have radiation, it really is not that bad. Take deep breaths and try to relax as much as possible and be sure to ask your doctor any questions that you have and keep asking until you understand his answers.

Jan
Unread 03-19-2003, 07:10 PM

(((gucu)))

What a shock this must be for you! These pathology reports can be so overwhelming at times. The girls are right, though. The best person for you to talk to is your doctor. Is your doctor a gynecologic oncologist? They really are the experts when it comes to female cancers, and they know all about the most current treatment options and techniques.

Since some of your lymph nodes came back positive, there's a chance your doctor may send you off to have an MRI or CT scan, just to make sure there are no other organs involved. The more information your doctor has, the better s/he can come up with an appropriate treatment program for you.

I found a website that discusses some things about endometrial cancer. You might like to look at it a little--it might help you come up with some appropriate questions to ask your doctor. Make sure to take someone with you when you go. It's always SO helpful to have a second set of ears listening to the information. Write your questions down. And write down the answers so you can review them later. And if you forget something, don't fret--you can always call back again. Here's the link to that website:

Link to Women's Cancer Network

Good luck, Gucu! Please let us know how your appointment goes! I will be keeping you in 'er!
Unread 03-20-2003, 03:32 AM

You might find these links re staging of endometrial cancer helpful:-

http://www.wccenter.com/uterus.html

http://www.cancerfacts.com/GeneralCo...osis.asp?CB=11

http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/cancer.go...4.html#REF_111

Sending you my very best wishes,

Chris.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register