Lupren | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Lupren

I had a 3 mo. dose of Lupren injected the beginning of July to stop my periods & build up my iron. Has anyone experienced this "instant menopause"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Lupren

I had my 3 mo. shot of Lupron (to shrink fibroids prior to surgery) on April 30. I had a light period two weeks after the injection. I was prescribed norethindrone acetate to help counteract hot flashes, etc. I still had a few minor hot flashes, but nothing to write home about. No other symptoms during the 3 mos.

HOWEVER, I am currently at the three month point and suddenly I am having fierce cramping. I haven't had menstrual cramps in years and years, and I was totally taken by surprise to suddenly start experiencing pelvic pain. I can only assume that it has something to do with the ovaries "waking back up" and the hormones doing strange things. I am toughing it out with Tylenol until my surgery one week from today. Over all I did not have a bad Lupron experience.

Good luck to you!
Unread 07-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Lupren

LittleJudy,

I too had lupron. I had (3)-monthly shots to shrink my fibroids for surgery also. I did not have the add-back that Shovell mentioned.

I had the instant-chemical menopause also. My periods stopped and I had hot flashes and night sweats. They were more inconvenient then anything. I learned to live with them by layering my clothes and drinking lots of water. What kept me going was knowing the shots were getting me to my surgery.

One consolation is we get to see what menopause looks like. From what I have read on forums, the chemical is a lot worse then the natural...so if we can live with this, we will get through the real deal!!

Good Luck. I was very pleased with my lupron results. Some ladies react differently to it and it DID get me to my LSH!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Lupren

I, too, had a three-month shot of Lupron - on May 6. Started a period about four days later that was very heavy and lasted about ten days. (Dr. office said this was based on when in my cycle I had the shot.) At the end of the bleeding, the hot flashes started - and they were intense but nothing I couldn't live with. Also, some moodiness.

Overall, the Lupron was a postive experience for me. It worked the way it was supposed and my blood count rose to 13 from 6.7 (and continued to rise as just before surgery it was 14).

My SAH was this past Tuesday (7/27) and the Lupron was a blessing to get me here.

I hope it works as well for you - Good Luck!!
Unread 07-29-2004, 05:18 PM
positive experience

Lupron worked quite well for me. I had fibroids and endometriosis and the lupron worked well with "shrinking " my uterus as well as allowing me 3 months to work on my iron levels before surgery.

My surgery was 5- 24-04 and I'm doing great. Lots of negative stuff about lupron but lots of positive results.
Unread 07-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Lupren

Did (3) monthy shots of Lupron. The down side for me is that my BP is up where as before, it was fine. I have no energy and I'm moody.

The up side, I don't have pain all the time. The 22wk size fibroids' growth was haulted. No more Aunt Flo either.

The pros and cons for me worked out pretty even. When I went for my pre-op, my BP was up at first but, by the time they did the ekg, it was in normal range. So, stress is more likely the reason and Lupron has made me more sensative to stress such as the surgery coming up. I'm tired because this thing is zapping my energy and again Lupron has played a part in how much energy there is. My moods are based on sudden menopause brought on by Lupron.

What I'm saying is that, while you are on Lupron, you may react differently then you normally do to things. But for me, I feel I did the right thing.

Good luck
Unread 07-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Lupren

I was very pleased with the end result of my lupron injections, without them I wouldn't have been able to have a LSH. I only had two injections. The first shot had very little effect on me and I began bleeding again after two weeks. The second shot a month later did affect me. I had hot flashes and night sweats, my libido went out the window and I started seeing some small changes in my skin and hair. But overall for some reason I felt really good physically and mentally while on the lupron. It worked for me. One thing about Lupron is that sometimes your ovaries won't wake up again from it, but I think that's something that happens in women who are in their 50's and close to menopause anyway. Good luck!
Unread 07-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Lupron

My situation was a little different. I had 6 months worth of Lupron shots, 1 shot every thirty days and I had them after having my left ovary and tube removed due to the endo. I had hot flashes and night sweats. I am a very mild tempered person, but I was either really happy or completely hacked off all the time. I was definately happy to finish the shots.
It took me about 3 months to get my cycle going correctly again. But I really never did completely stop bleeding thru the shots.

Good luck to you
Unread 07-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Lupron

I have been on lupron since Nov, taking monthly injections. The first time I had a hot flash I didn’t know what it was. I really thought that it was the sweater and the heat from the office. But once I realized what it was I just simply stepped out the back door until it was gone.

My pro’s and cons with lupron are:

Con’s:

Night sweat, hot flashes, nausea, water retention and weight gain

Pro’s:
No period

*punch*By the way my husband doesn’t understand the weight gain, so I get grief about it.

Poo bear
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Lupren

I was given a shot of Lupron in 1999 prior to the major myomectomy to shrink 19 fibroids.

Well, I had seriously hot hot hot flashes, night sweats, my hair fell out in clumps, and I was quite moody.
The fibroids shrank, though.

My surgeon wanted to give it to me again prior to this surgery (SAH) and I said "absolutely not". I felt dreadful on it. And, I'd like to keep my hair!

Not everyone has a poor reaction.

MM

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register