Pre-Op Support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Support Pre-Op Support

Unread 12-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Pre-Op Support

Good morning all. I just found out a week ago that I will be having a hysterectomy. The only hold up now is my cycle. After I have it, I will be scheduled. In several of the posts I noticed that the term "12 weeks" was referenced - what does this mean? My doctor said my utereus was abnormally sized. He did not reference anything as "weeks" though.

He also said (like several of you mentioned) that he won't know if he can do the TVH until he gets in there and I may wake up with an incision.

On the ovary decision - at first I told him to just take everything, but now, I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to go through the hormones and menopause just yet. I'm only 44. Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Right now, I'm sleepless in Texas due to pain from the fibroids.

Good luck to all of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Pre-Op Support

My doc told me that my uterus was the size of a 12 to 16 week pregnancy and 'boggy'. It helps give a mental picture of how big it really is. The normal uterus is about the size of your fist so enlargement can be measured from that.

If the uterus is too large, they will have to take it abdominally. If you can keep the ovaries, then do so! I thought I would be able to keep both, but when the doc got in there she found the left was cystic and bleeding. I am sooooo glad I do not have to take HRT - hormones - or have had to deal with surgical induced menopause. - I am 36

One thing to look forward to is no pain! I am feeling so good after surgery! I, like you, would be up with pain.

Good Luck
Unread 12-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Pre-Op Support

Hi there

I can't help with the "size" question but I had my TAH (plus removal of ovaries) at 39 - last year June.

I did battle a bit with HRT - but thanks to a great GP and a pharmacist in the States (who I corresponded with via e-mail) (I live in South Africa) - all is 100% and in fact I feel better now than I ever did before.

Obviously we are all individuals, but I thought a happy story would help you balance your thoughts.

Feel free to mail me with anything else I could help you with.

Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Pre-Op Support

The "12 weeks" refers to the size of the uterus, as compared to what it would be if you were pregnant. For example, my uterus was sized at 18 weeks - about the size of a woman between 4 and 5 months pregnant. The culprit was a fibroid 12 cm across (that's about 5 inches, the size of a large grapefruit) plus a bunch of smaller ones.

The reason the estimate the size is because there's a very general rule of thumb (I read in two different places) that if a woman's uterus is more than 14 weeks due to fibroids, the recommendation is that it be removed.

I had just turned 47 when I had my surgery 2 months ago. I had them take it all, because I didn't want the worry about cancer. I am on a wonderful estrogen replacement patch called Climara which comes in six different doses, so you can wean yourself off gradually. I only intend to be on it for a year or two and then have menopause and so on behind me.

You're a bit younger, so you are farther away from natural menopause than I was. If you read and study and your family history doesn't concern you the way mine did and you feel well informed, you may well decide to keep your ovaries. Do what's best for you!

Best wishes..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register