will I go through all this ?????? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will I go through all this ?????? will I go through all this ??????

Unread 05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
will I go through all this ??????

Our local hospital has a pre-surgery class that you can take. Call and ask if its available in your area.

When I went, it included a tour of the hospital (took my DH to the class with me by the way) and an explanation of what would happen and in what order. I was told about not wearing nail polish and asked what medications I was on - told which ones I needed to stop taking and how far before surgery, etc. They suggested what I should and should not bring with me, including the fact that I needed to give my jewelry to my DH to hold for me and that I could wear a walkman into surgery to help me relax.

I didn't find this website until after I was home and recovering. I would have been a total mess if I hadn't taken the class!

And, yes, if you can't get your questions - all of them!!! - answered by your doc's office... get another doc. Or at least complain to the medical board in your state about his quality of care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2005, 04:24 PM

Hi flcrevda,

I found this website a couple months ago and have been reading like crazy every since. Of course in the beginning I was more frightened about the upcomming surgery, but byt he time they scheduled my date, I was more at ease with the decision.

As with Sanguiness I to got a preparation class provided for me and Dh with my hospital. It was a godsend.

From exploring this site, I started making a list of things that I wanted to ask my doctor during Pre-Op. These ladies here thought of everything! My doctor told me that he was amazed how well informed I was when I came in for my appointment, and how I knew all the right questions to ask. Of course without hesitation I pulled out the printable flyer from Hyster Sisters that I so carefully pre printed for my visit, and he was impressed. He said he is going to recommend this site to all of his patients. He even was excited when he found out that the site headquarters is in our very own area!
Unread 05-04-2005, 05:02 PM

Dear flcrevda
its normal to be scared or nervous before any surgery- fear of the unknown when you read things in black and white, the words can be interpreted in so many ways especially if youre nervous!I know if i read something written by a dr that mentions 'some discomfort ' i dont trust them, i interpret those words as 'agony'!! but in this case i was wrong. i had a tvh with posterior repairs. from straight after surgery the only discomfort relating to the surgery was mild period pain. i was more uncomfortable during my monthlies and im a sook when it comes to pain. the gas and a tendency to constipation can be controlled with gas x, apple juice. stool softeners, chocolate covered licorice logs(my choice) toilet time may be uncomfortable at first just as the motion is passing along near the area of surgery but you just relax and do a bit of panting as you would through very early stage contractions. its only a minute out of your day you should be pleasantly surprised with the rest of your day! The toilet troubles get better each week. for me week 3 was good and week 4 ive only needed gas x once. Im still not drinking any fizzy drink and keep drinks at room temperature because cold against warm tummy fluids create gas. Lots of good info regarding all this in a number of posts just take stool softeners walk and drink lots of fluids. i had to stay away from brown rice and brown bread for half an hour the next day i was so inflated with gas if someone had of opened the door i would have floated away- but then the gas x worked God bless - Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 02:03 AM

Doea anyone know if gas x or similar is available in the UK?

thanks
Unread 05-05-2005, 04:16 AM

I too have recently found this site. It has answered alot of questions for me. But then I think "ignorance is bliss".

I have quickly come to realise what a major operation it is and I am very quickly winding my self up. To the point that I am snapping more than usual and my leg shakes have stepped up a gear (its the only part of me that shows nerves).

My minds racing and going in circles. We have a very stressful household at the best of times - stepdaugther is a self harmer when things get to her and stepson is ADHD, ASD and a fire starter. What will the change do to him? How will my youngest cope with me away from home? How will my partner cope without me to back him up? And on and on and on.......

I think I might have to see my GP and ask him for something to calm me down.

choccie

PS I think Windeze will be something similar
Unread 05-05-2005, 07:28 AM
Gas-x

Gas-x is just an over the counter simithecone type tablet. Wind-eze sounds like it does the same job! Tell your pharmacist what you need it for and he/she will show you the appropriate ones. They shouldnt be expensive... get some stool softeners too not laxatives. All the best and God bless
Linda B
msbutton have you got family or friends to support you and hubby? Is your son on some sort of medication to help his situation. When you come home will hubby be there during the day? Not so much for coping with your physical recovery which is
manageable but you need someone there so you dont become overwhelmed by your childrens probs. even just someone from community help to pop tn to see how all are fareing can at least break the tension a bit maybe?
Unread 05-05-2005, 05:53 PM

Another name for Symethicone (Gas medicine) is "Mylicon" (like we give our babies for gas). We give it to the C section patients at the hospital all the time. They take one chewable 80 mg. tablet every 6 hours or so for gas. It seems to help. Walking is essential for helping the gas to pass (short trips around the hospital rooms or better yet, down the hall or around your house when you get home Or out to the mailbox, anywhere, just WALK.. Prune juice works excellently too! Cold and if you can't stand it mix it with cola or Dr. Pepper and ice. OR if you like it WARM prune juice works wonders. So does prunes right out of the box, or dried apricots. Hot tea is good too (Hot liquids in general are good for the gas).. Kathie
Unread 05-06-2005, 01:13 AM

thanks for all those wind tips!!
Will be stockpiling my prune juice now and seeing what drugs I can get in the UK.
Unread 05-06-2005, 04:07 AM

Well BEst of Luck to you.. Don't stress too much over it. Oh, yea, and continue to drink LOTS of water too. Try to get in 6 to 8 8 oz. glasses a day, Just sip it all day long.. SO VERY good for healing and to prevent constipation!! Berries in some good grain cereal in the morning is wonderful (Like Strawberries and/or blueberries.. YUMM Kathie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register