Pre-Op appt. - what to expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op appt. - what to expect? Pre-Op appt. - what to expect?

Unread 09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Pre-Op appt. - what to expect?

Hi Ladies, I have my pre-op appt this friday, in the morning. At first I thought i would just bring my list of questions (long list!), and the Dr. and I would talk about my up-coming surgery on 10/7, but now I think maybe they will do blood tests?

I have no idea what they will do aside from answer my questions. Can anyone tell me what to expect? How long I'd be there? etc.

Thank you all in advance. (p.s. - the nerves are lessening and I am now finding peace with the inevitable operation, realizing living the way I have been these last few months is not something i want to continue, and thankful I won't have to.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Re: Pre-Op appt. - what to expect?

I had my pre-op yesterday and they did take blood and also did an EKG (quick and painless). I had a few questions, but they answered them all swiftly. I had to talk with the Financial Counselor too.

I was actually in there about 45 minutes.
Unread 09-29-2010, 09:07 AM

Pre-op appointments can vary quite a bit depending on the type of surgery, the personal health and age of the person and the doctor.

My pre-op started at my dr's office with questions and answers. Then I watched a short video about my surgery (tah/bso ). After that I went to the hospital to pre-register. Lots more questions, blood work, a urinalysis, chest x-rays, and an EKG. The EKG was because I was in my 50's. I met my anesthesiologist and received my "nothing after midnight" orders. It was a kind of long but not really bad day.

Best wishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM

hmmm, so it could be short or long! I am 47, getting a SAH. well I guess I'll wait and see - I would actually like a long appt. - I figure the more they do the better prepared we will all be!
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM

My pre-op is 10/6, LVAH on 10/7. I am trying to think past and am wondering if any of you can recommend a source of fiber. I read that pain meds can cause constipation and I want to get everything BEFORE surgery...kind of my own "pre-op". Also, are the belly bands a good investment? Thanks sisters!!!
Unread 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM

My pre-opt was 4hr.s long. I met with a nurse and went over my general health. Then I met with another general pac. Dr. and went over my physical health as well as a few questions on my emotional health. I had blood work taken. I also had my heart and lungs listened to, but didn't have to do a chest x-ray. Then I met with my oncologists intern, and went over the details of the bowel prep, and the general questions about post-op care. Next, I met with my oncologist and I asked a 101 questions about everything!! I also met with the hospitals surgery dept. and finished signing papers agreeing to the surgery. It was a long apt.!! but necessary.

Good luck with the pre-opt. apt and your upcoming surgery!!
Unread 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM

My preop was fairly quick (9-11:30). Dr. answered most questions before the appointment. Mine consisted of a blood test, EKG, & sonogram. The Dr. figured I had a fibroid, so ordered the sonogram. They went over all the preop instructions, but I had already talked to the Dr about some of them, such as bowel prep.

My Dr didn't require a prep, but said it would be easier on me if I did one. I enjoyed lunch, then ate a light supper, then a couple of hours later, drank a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. After surgery, I kept my meals light, & ate stuff that wasn't notorious for causing gas or producing a lot of excrement. About 4 days after surgery, I figured it was about time to get things moving, so I started taking Colace once a day. Some of my meals during this time frame included Grape Nuts cereal, stew, & fruit. I ate baked fish & stuff for protein, but nothing high protein because it causes gas.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register