Looking for opinions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Looking for opinions Looking for opinions

Unread 01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Looking for opinions

Last June I had a tubal ligation and ablation done. I had, for a couple years, been having random spotting. There was never a day I could feel comfortable that I would not have any bleeding. I was told after the ablation I would likely never have a period again. After the procedure my doctor told my I have adenomyosis and he wasn't sure my periods would stop but thought they would be better. I went 2 cycles that were normal, then had 2 that were off, once only 9 days in between, then 2 normal again. However right now I have spotting every day, and assuming this is my period it would be 18 days since my last cycle and I am on day 10 of spotting. I rarely have heavy bleeding, even before the ablation. I also often feel a burning stabbing pain in the area of my left ovary at times. My doctor suggests a hysterectomy. I am scared to take that step and feel like maybe there is an alternative.
Does anyone have a similar experience? My doctor keeps saying "for heavy bleeding" but it's not heavy, its just enough to need to wear something everyday, EVERY day of my life just in case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Re: Looking for opinions

You might ask your doctor how he arrived at his adenomyosis diagnosis. You might ask your doctor an MRI. Supposedly it's the best way to diagnose adenomyosis (the only for-sure way is post-hysterectomy lab analysis of the uterine tissue). An MRI will also give a nice visual in case there is anything else going on that might be contributing to your symptoms.

You might consider using a period tracker app or spreadsheet to track your symptoms. Often I get a stabbing pain around the time of ovulation, but it goes away within a day and is not so bad to need medication or anything. I used to think it was gas, but then I realized it was happening near the time I should be ovulating. Tracking your symptoms, including the spotting, will help you have a productive conversation with your doctor.

It's always a good idea to get a second opinion, especially when you're conflicted about the recommendation. Hopefully you will get the advice you need to chart a path forward. Good luck!
Unread 01-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Looking for opinions

If it were me I would ask for an ultrasound or MRI because fibroids can grow very large after ablation. I know you did not mention having fibroids however I didn't know I had them for 3 years. An ultrasound or MRI would determine if you do. I mention this because their presence would explain the weeping uterus. UAE or UFE would stop their growth and the bleeding would stop immediately if you discover you do. Personally I would request it for adeno but there is not a lot of info about this. Basically UAE / UFE limits blood to the uterus or to the fibroid and excess bleeding stops. Interventional Radiology has been used to control bleeding in surgery since the 1940's and for the last 20 years or so has been used for uterine disorders. It might be something to investigate. Are you by chance taking hormones? Their use could explain the continuous bleeding too. I think an adeno diagnosis can only be determined under the microscope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angee:) View Post
Last June I had a tubal ligation and ablation done. I had, for a couple years, been having random spotting. There was never a day I could feel comfortable that I would not have any bleeding. I was told after the ablation I would likely never have a period again. After the procedure my doctor told my I have adenomyosis and he wasn't sure my periods would stop but thought they would be better. I went 2 cycles that were normal, then had 2 that were off, once only 9 days in between, then 2 normal again. However right now I have spotting every day, and assuming this is my period it would be 18 days since my last cycle and I am on day 10 of spotting. I rarely have heavy bleeding, even before the ablation. I also often feel a burning stabbing pain in the area of my left ovary at times. My doctor suggests a hysterectomy. I am scared to take that step and feel like maybe there is an alternative.
Does anyone have a similar experience? My doctor keeps saying "for heavy bleeding" but it's not heavy, its just enough to need to wear something everyday, EVERY day of my life just in case

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register