Scheduled TLH Just got period today-TLH in 5 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got period today-TLH in 5 days Just got period today-TLH in 5 days

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Just got period today-TLH in 5 days

Ugh....was spotting for a week and at my pre-op appointment was told to call if my period got heavier. Well, it did. I've already been rescheduled once since they decided my uterus was too big for TVH or LAVH and they needed a second surgeon.

I'm worried this could delay me again. My surgeon prefers not to operate on someone that is really heavily bleeding. They said they can give me something to stop my period. Wouldn't that Increase clot risks, too? I've never had surgery before and I'm scared to pieces.

Any words of advice or anyone that went through the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Re: Just got period today-TLH in 5 days

I got my period the day before my TLH and it was not a problem at all. From what I've read here, many sisters have also gone through their surgery while having their period. When I arrived to the hospital, I changed into obstetrical panties and used the pads they gave me. I did lose a lot of blood during the surgery, but I was given a drug to deal with that.
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:14 PM

Hi Melanie36 -

Being scared is normal with this surgery - you are not alone.

I can see where your period is a concern, especially if your doctor said that he does not like to operate if it is very heavy. I have read that it is a non issue for many doctors, but have also read those that prefer not to operate.

I would talk to your doctor about your concerns on taking the meds that will stop your period. You can also talk to him at that time to see if your period is heavy enough for him not to operate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2013, 06:08 AM

My surgeon would have operated even with a period .....just as well as I seemed to be bleeding more times than not

I also took tablets to stop bleeding with every period (transexamic acid). They take 24hours to start having effect and I still bled for a week, but just not as heavy. I was also taking mefenemic acid as pain relief and that also lightens bleeding from what I've been told.

I did have a TAH though which may have influenced my surgeon being willing to do my surgery whether I was bleeding or not.

Hope your op goes well x
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Thanks all. My surgeon was on vacation Friday, and the on call Dr. wasn't sure what to do....so he prescribed Provera. I am so torn because I know my surgeon said they would want to.control my bleeding before surgery if that happened. (When I get bad, it's bad....crime scene bad...constant golf ball+ sized clots)

I am just worried if this is the route he would have taken or if now I'm risking a SECOND surgery delay (was originally scheduled 9/3 but they needed two surgeons for me if I have any hope of TLH) or that they are going to say they have to do a TAH.
So many unknowns....

Anyone else take Provera up until the day before surgery? Now I'm worried about extra DVT risk! Ugh!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register