Confused between hysterectomy and UAE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused between hysterectomy and UAE Confused between hysterectomy and UAE

Unread 10-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Confused between hysterectomy and UAE

Hi everyone. This is only the second time I have posted on here. I have been to my gynecologist and I have about 7 fibroids and an enlarged uterus, that of a 14-16 week pregnant woman. She told me that my options were either a hysterectomy or possibly a UAE. I have not been to the radiologist yet to discuss a UAE. I am 48 years old and I think I am menopausal now. I have not had a period since July and my test showed me menopausal. My question is if I am menopausal would a UAE work or would it be better to go ahead and have a hysterectomy done? I would greatly appreciate any comments on this. The other thing that I don't like is that my stomach looks like I am pregnant and that really bothers me. Thanks to all of you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2007, 05:45 PM

I would write a list of pros and cons to both that helps more than people think. talk to your dr but i did a lot of reading on a urerine artery emboilzation( sorry not a good speller) .. and never read anything saying age or menapuase would effect it. I hope some one can help. big hugs
hugs
Lisa
Unread 10-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Hi Izzey1,

I agree with Lisaanne2. I have never read either that age or being menopausel was a problem with a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization). I think the size of your uterus with fibroids will be the major consideration in whether or not you are a good candidate for the procedure. In my case, I was 46 and I discussed a UFE with two Drs and both felt that due to the size of my fibroids, I was not a good candiate for a UFE. At the time, that news was a *big* disappointment...and I am still glad I discussed it with my Drs. I think pursung a UFE is a good idea. Gathering all the information you can.

You might also check to see if you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a TVH, LAVH, LSH, or TLH. In the end... I opted to do (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive hyst. To this day, I am glad I had my LSH for my fibroids.

In the end...do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Sending best wishes~

Mary

P.S. I had the ~poofy~ stomach too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register