Ovaries...good reasons to remove at 35? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries...good reasons to remove at 35? Ovaries...good reasons to remove at 35?

Unread 01-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Ovaries...good reasons to remove at 35?

Hi there
I'm scheduled for March 3rd, primarily for fibroids. I've had 2 myomectomies, and they keep coming back. I've also had endometriosis removed once, in 1996. The fibroids primarily caused bleeding and discomfort, but over the last month or so starting experiencing a lot of debilitating symptoms -- lower back pain, excrutiating bladder pain, and diarrhea. My doc says I do have a fibroid under my bladder, but also suspects endometriosis. For that reason, he has determined that my ovaries should go. I'm only 35, and extremely concerned about dealing with the hormonal issues of losing my ovaries at this age.
What are the 'good' reasons to have ovaries removed at 35? He says I'll still have pain if I don't. What are your experiences/recommendations?
Thanks so much for your input!
Tinkerbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2004, 10:22 PM

Tinkerbell,

I am in much the same situation. I am 35 years old, have had one previous myomectomy(six years ago) and another surgery (three years ago) to clean up the endometriosis, adhesions, cysts, etc. Now, I have a fast growing fibroid that is causing bleeding as well as pain that is probably means the endo has returned. I, too, have been weighing the option of removing or keeping one or both ovaries when they do the hyst.
I have talked with two different ob/gyn's and they each said that they would leave the ovaries if I wanted to as long as I realized that the endo may return and they may have to go back and remove the ovary later. From what I understand, the only way to ensure that the endo won't come back is to remove the ovaries and then not take hormone replacement therapy. At this age, I think I would really have problems without having hormone replacement. I am leaning toward trying to keep one of the ovaries and take the chance that they have to remove it later. I guess I figure that, even if I only get five more years out of the ovaries, that's five less years that I have to be dependent upon hormone replacement medication.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Kellyn
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:42 AM

Thanks Kellyn...that was very useful information. The one thing that the Dr. didn't mention was not being able to take HRT. I won't do well without HRT, so it seems like the better option would be to at least TRY to leave those ovaries for the time being.
I'm going to see the surgeon (my Dr.'s partner since he'll be off for a couple of months) on Thursday next week, and hopefully there I'll get better information since I now know what to ask!
Also...how can they determine that the ovaries have to go until they get in there since it's the only way to see if there actually is endo or other ovarian pathology?! ARGH!
Thank goodness for this site...and folks like yourself with similar expriences!
Cheers
Tink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2004, 06:40 AM

Hi Tinkerbell,

I will be having my surgery 2-10 for endo. My understanding from my Dr. concerning HRT and the ovaries is this: he can leave at least one ovary and then I would have 1 - 2 Lupron shots to keep me shut down a little while longer for rest of the adhesions to dry up. But by leaving even 1 ovary there is the chance of the endo coming back. Or, I can have both ovaries removed and wait a month or two before startin g HRT. This route the adhesions can dry up and have a better chance of not coming back. At the age of 28, I do not wnat to have to go through another surgery if my ovaries decide to shut down or the endo comes back. So, I have decided -- there will already be an incision so go ahead and take them.

HTH,
Unread 01-16-2004, 06:51 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm 33 years old and I had a LAVH/BSO on 12/5. I also had 2 previous laps because of endo.

My doctor recommended that I have both ovaries removed because of the endo. I will be going without HRT for 6 months so the endo will "dry up/die off". After that 6 months my doctor plans to introduce small amounts of hormones, do blood work and see when I've reached my best level.

Although I have some hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia I feel better now than I have in 5 years. I've also noticed that over the past several weeks the menapause symptoms have either gotton better - or I've just gotten use to them. But I am sleeping 6 hours a night vs. 3 and 4 last month.

After suffering for about 10 years with endo and various other problems the having both ovaries removed sounded like a great idea to me. I didn't want any chance of having the endo come back.

Keep in mind, if you decide to go with the BSO talk to your doctor about extra calcium. If he recommends extra calcium, remember that your body needs magnesium (sp?) and Vit D to process calcium. Without Magnesium the body will store the extra calcium in the kidneys, which could lead to kidney stones.
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:12 AM

Hi all
Arnoldbk and BAW - you both make a very important point. I also said to my gyny that I did not want to take the risk of more surgeries (I mean, gee, at this point they might as well install a zipper anyway!!!), and I guess that is why he's recommending BSO. I've lost way too much time in the past 9-10 years to worsening fibroids & endo, and waiting months for surgery (gotta love the Canadian health care system....free, but sometimes you have to wait up to 6 months while your condition gets worse).

After endless searches on the net, I keep finding contradictory research information on whether or not HRT is advisable for women with endo, or whether it just brings back symptoms. On the other hand, I can always stop HRT rather than going for more surgery to take out the ovaries. The initial hormone shock sounds like a real treat...and of course, the hormone jungle. Should make for an interesting honeymoon in May Poor guy.
Cheers
Tink

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register