2 weeks away for surgery...scared and excited! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks away for surgery...scared and excited! 2 weeks away for surgery...scared and excited!

Unread 04-29-2005, 04:14 AM
2 weeks away for surgery...scared and excited!

HI! I am new here...scheduled for a TAH/BSO w/append. on May 12th. I am 32 yrs. old and suffer from severe endo. Had a laproscopic surgery in January after trying everything else (meds) and it didn't work. Have been living with chronic pain for a long time now and am actually looking forward to my surgery - pain free at last, I hope! But also quite nervous. Never had to stay at a hospital before and not real sure what to expect afterwards. Have heard so many stories, both good and bad. I came across this website while surfing and thought it sounded like something I would like to be a part of. Don't have a lot of people to talk to about my surgery and the few that I do I don't know how credible their info is!!! So here I am, just wanted to introduce myself and I'll welcome any advice, support, or words of wisdom any one has to offer! Take care, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 05:13 AM

Hi there and WELCOME!!!
I had a TVH done and am SOOOOOOOOOO glad that I did.I am able to leave the house without change of clothes and a TON of pads.I had DUB,Ovarian and Cervical Cysts,Uterine Polyps,Severe clotting,Stage 2 Uterine Prolapse,and my Uterus was the size of a 3 month pg (14 cm)
For the Castle, I would HIGHLY reccomend a Cd player and some of your favorite CDs.I had a roomate from you know where and my CD player was all that helped me get some much needed rest.Get some slippers, and a robe to cover your backside.I took a book, but never opened it.
I'm not gonna lie to you..........recovery is just that.You will be in pain, but once you heal..................you'll be HAPPY you had it done.
Feel free to PM me or ask any questions that you have.I'm sure more LIW or Sisters will help in any way we can.
Best of luck to you on your surgury.I'll be praying for you.
Unread 04-29-2005, 06:38 AM

hi Taznluck,

I am going to have surgery 3 days before you, I am scheduled on May 9th. I also am having a TAH-SBO.

I can understand being excited and scared too as I feel the same way.

What can you expect during your hospital stay? Well I have been in the hospital a few time, and what I know that you can expect is nurses checking on you every couple of hours day and night. You can expect to sleep alot after the surgery. You can expect needing a little help getting in and out of bed.

After the surgery is over, take it easy and let your body and your doctor dictate what you can and can't do. They say that if you do to much to soon, you will end up needing extra time to recover and heal from what you over did it on.

Please feel free to email or PM me any time since we are going to be doing this in the same week, maybe we can offer a little support to each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 10:13 AM

Tammarree and Kelly...thanks so much for your responses and your words of wisdom. Thanks Tammarree on your suggestions of what to bring to the hospital. I was actually going to ask everyone what they took. My husband (who is wonderful) is planning on taking me shopping next week and has been telling me to make a list of all the stuff I want for my surgery and my recovery. I will definitely add some new CDs and a new robe to the list.
I will definitely be thinking of you Kelly on the 9th and praying that all goes well for you. Since we will both be down and out during the same time maybe we could spend some time chatting on here. From what I understand, getting on the computer will be about the most strenuous activity we will be able to handle for awhile!
Take care, all!
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM

Here's a list that the sisters here reccomend
What do I pack for the hospital?

- slippers
- your own night shirt/sleepwear
- oversize cotton panties
- pads
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- shampoo and conditioner
- comb/brush
- facial cleanser
- deodorant/antiperspirant
- lightweight cotton robe
- lotion
- backscratcher
- lip balm
- Phone Calling Card or your cell phone (check hospital policy)
- Tummy Pillow!!
Unread 04-29-2005, 01:48 PM

Hey Taz,
Since I am a complete computer freak, I will be more than happy to chat away for hours! I am sending you a PM with my chat names and email addresses.

Just in case you have trouble finding your PMS (like I did) if you look just below the hystersisters menu on the left side where it say Welcome back (your screen name) there is another line under that that says Private Messages with a link to access them.
Unread 04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Right there with ya

Hi Taznluck,
I'm scheduled for surgery 5-16. I've been in the hospital before, but still dreading it. I am looking forward to feeling better, but still not too excited about recooperating. I too have found this site to be very helpful and nice to have a place to go and talk to people that understand what you're going through physically and emotionally. I'm hoping that my hubby wants to go shopping too for a few comforts for me
Best of luck and looking forward to hearing how your surgery went!
Unread 04-30-2005, 10:10 PM

Hi Taz

I'm a 32yr mum of 2, DS 12, DS 13. My surgery date is the 11th may. I have been bleeding for over 12mnths non stop. So I am looking forward to having this done. I am scared though about coming home to my DS's as I am a single mum.
Maybe we could support each other along the way. I love this site its good to be able to talk to others that know what you are going though.
My gyn isn't sure if I will have a TAH or TVH, eith way I just want it out.
I just need to work things through with the boys. They know a little as their stepmum had her TVH last year. I have had alot of support from her as well. Some people think its a bit strange me being close friends with the kids step mum. I couldn't ask for a better friend and she is a hyster sister too.

Good luck keep us posted
Ros
Unread 05-01-2005, 12:34 PM

I am set to go to the castle the same day as you. Your story sounds a lot like mine. Sever Endo and I also have ando. I have been marking off day by day on my calendar.

I'm 30 and have been begging for this since I was 20 years old. It seems so surreal to me that I am finally getting this all taken care of, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop for someone to say nope just kidding... it's canceled.

I am also excited and nervous. If you want to chat just pm me.
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:20 PM
not the only one

Hi!

I am scheduled for a TAH BSO Appy on May 12th too. I have also never spent the night in a hospital. They were very nice, and when I went for my pre-op I talked to Patient Services, and they gave me a tour of where I will be staying and I met some of the nurses. I am 29, and my parents are the ones who will be staying with me, so I made sure that would be ok.

This website has really helped me keep my sanity about all of this. I wish you the best!
B

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register