Waiting in pain and getting crabby | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting in pain and getting crabby Waiting in pain and getting crabby

Unread 02-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Waiting in pain and getting crabby

So, this all starts with a trip to the ER in an ambulance. Don't remember the trip because my abdomen hurt so bad. They did nothing for me and told me it was just my intestines wrapping around each other and quickly unwrapping. They did discover from the CT Scan, however, that I have a teratoma on my right ovary. This is the second time, the first time was on my left ovary and they removed it. Mind you I have been peri-menopausal for about 8-9 months.

So, a week later I'm in my Family Physician's office because I am having sharp, pulling pains. She thinks the pain on the left is from the adhesions from all my previous surgeries and the pain on my right is from the ovary twisting. Great.

I go for my ultrasound to follow up on the teratoma about 4-6 weeks after my doctor visit (it's all a blur by now). During the ultrasound I know something isn't right. I have this huge flee feeling and know something doesn't feel right either, physically. She is acting funny and then tells me my intestines are spasming so much that if we can't get them to stop I will have to come back. I push down and in and she's able to finish, thank god!

They find the teratoma has grown slightly and I now have a cyst, which should not be there due to the fact that I'm on the pill in order to keep my body in a monthly cycle, and keep me out of menopause, because I'm only 42!

I end up back in the doctor's office the next week, as I am in severe pain again and can barely walk across my living room. I am able to read the ultrasound diagnosis along with my doctor at this time and find that they also say in the diagnosis that my ovary doesn't look quite right and that I have a form of endomitriosis where the muscle grows into the wall of the uterus (can't remember the name of it to save my life).

That was almost two weeks ago now. I am in pain almost every other day to the point where I cannot walk to work. The OB-GYN is booked out so far that I couldn't get in to see them for a month from the a few days after the ultrasound was done. Yesterday I get stuck halfway on my way to work and it takes me a half-hour to walk the two blocks back home because I'm in so much pain. They get me into the OB-GYN after I explain my symptoms and they finally feel it's bad enough they should see me earlier than my appoint scheduled for next week.

The doctor tells me she doesn't want to make any decisions about what to do with me and wants me to wait to see the doctor that did my last surgery to remove my ovary. I'm now two weeks out before my next visit to the OB-GYN. She did, however, tell me they definitely have to take the ovary (which I already knew) and she said my doctor just needs to decide whether to do all of it at the same time. Well, I was expecting that anyway, so no big shock. Then she says their big decision is whether to do it vaginally or vaginally with an abdominal assist in my previous incisions.

So, last night I was absolutely miserable until all of a sudden around 8:30 the pain was miraculously gone. I felt fine the rest of the night. Today I got up and felt fine until I got out of the shower and now it's back. When I have this pain my abdomen bloats a bit and my bladder and urethra hurt as well. Just the past couple of days my belly button started hurting, which isn't surprising.

Yes, it's probably a couple of things combined to make everything that's going on be how it is. Maybe a bladder or intestinal issue on top of the ovary issue with the teratoma and my existing adhesions.

I'm crabby because I'm stuck on the couch and they say there is nothing they can do. I keep missing work because I'm in too much pain to walk there or when I get there, to actually stay. I'm tired of taking anti-spasm meds and Lortab. And I'm tired of feeling tired and crappy. And when I do finally see my doctor in two weeks I'm thinking it will be another long wait before surgery.

I need to vent today and I appreciate that I have a place to do it. I don't want to have surgery, but I also don't want to continue to feel like this. I need to make it two more weeks, and have no idea how I'm going to do that. The episodes of severe pain are getting worse and much closer (almost every day now).

My DH is incredible! He is any woman's dream. He takes care of me, cooks, does laundry, grocery shops, everything! I do not have to worry when I am down for the count. Not one iota. He went to my doctor's visit with me yesterday and asked lots of questions and answered the doctor when I couldn't think straight (due to the exhaustion). He does plan to take a week off when I come home from my surgery, which is awesome! He, however, is also looking at possible gall bladder surgery and will find out today for sure what direction they are going with him.

So, I'm crabby, to say the least. If he has surgery, then I have no help because my mother had a spinal fusion a few weeks ago and is leaving for a big trip to Italy on March 13th. Oh, yay. The biggest issue for us is that we wanted to relocate to Colorado Springs and will now have to put that off until everything else settles down. Did I mention I'm crabby?

Yeah, things could be worse, but it would be really nice to be on the road to recovery instead of waiting and waiting and waiting...

Any input, positive uplifts, words of wisdom, jokes, chat, would be greatly appreciated.

Stuck at home...
DeziningDiva
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Bless your heart! I think you have the right to be crabby. You've got a whole lot of crazy going on. Aren't the doctor's concerned about the amount of pain you are in? I'm surprised that they aren't taking a more proactive approach. Don't they keep a few open appointments for emergency situations? I would call their office and do my best to find a sympathetic ear. If you get the right person, you may be able to get in to see your doctor sooner.

When I was first diagnosed with fibroid tumors, my OBGYN appointment was 2 weeks out. On the way to work one day I was in so much pain that I actually went straight to the doctor's office and asked if I could be seen earlier. The nurses were able to move up my appointment to within 3 days.

I will keep you in my prayers, sweetie. If I were you, I would keep pushing to see the doctor earlier. The amount of pain you are in is truly impacting your every day life. They have to be able to do something sooner...
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Hey Crabby,

Its "Crabitha" I too am cranky!! My word of advice is persistence. I bugged everyone in my path. I finally got in to see my GYN on Jan 28(what a long wait I had for that), and once I was told I was having a Hysterectomy, I pushed. I have been bed ridden. I am now on morphine. And even that is barely working, and it has only been 8 days. I clogged the ER a bit, and I persistantly phoned and criedat the surgery booking staff, and I kept bugging my surgeon until he put me on a priority list. I got the call 2 days ago now. March 6, I am in!! I am freaked, but I am at the point where I can no longer not know what is wrong inside me. I have 2 boys at home getting the brunt of this on. It is like boot camp around here. I need this over and done with b4 they hate me.
So, just when you think you are the CRABBIEST, just think, chances are you may be beat. My hubby probably won't be around for my surgery either.

Tough times, and big decisions. I am going to do my best to put my big girl panties on, step out of my pitty party and move on.....easier said than done. Good luck to you and your challenges.

Shirley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM

BIG HUG!! I FEEL YOUR PAIN See you around the site
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:41 AM

So sorry for all you have gone through hang in there
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM

I agree with the others. Nag, Nag, Nag. I was to have an ablation last Spring but cancelled becasue My oldest daughter got married & I changed jobs/Insurance. So, in January when my Hemoglobin was 4 my FP suggested another Albation. to make a lons troy short I now have to have a LAVH and it is scheduleld for 3-25 but my first appoinmtnet to see the GYn wasn't supposed to even be until 3-26 & I called and explained the pain, clotting, the fact that my husband & I went out of town & we checked out of the Hotel and came home because of pain & Bleeding. The Assisitant was sympathetic & I was seen two weeks ago and am a little more thatn thre weeks from surgery.
One piece of advise I was given by one of my sisters is"No one knows our bod y like us. Only you know the amount of pain you are in and you must be persistant." She was right. Who cares if you offend a recptionist or a nurse if it gets your foot in the door that much earlier.
Hang in there!
I feel your pain literally but no where as severe as yours.

God Bless!

LAVH with bladder lift 3-25
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:56 AM

Why not get a second opinion? See another DR? With that much pain maybe it is a combination of issues.
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Finally!!!

So, I was able to get an urgent appointment with one of the doctors at the OB-GYN office and she agreed that I needed to be seen sooner than they originally had me scheduled. Then she informed me the reason she had me come in that day was because she was thinking she would have to do the surgery that day. Doh! She, however, wanted me to see my regular doctor at her office and I was finally able to get in to see her the first day back from her vacation (today). She agreed that the surgery needs to be done the sooner the better. She has to coordinate with my Internal Surgeon, as I have so many adhesions they will have to a "clean up" when they go in. She's looking at a full hysterectomy done laproscopic withy a vaginal assist. She doesn't want to do the abdominal because of all the adhesion issues I already have. She is calling back today with the date of surgery. Cross your fingers and thanks for all the wonderful support! I am looking forward to being able to chat with you wonderful gals while I am recovering!!

Thanks!
Unread 03-10-2008, 11:13 AM

Yeah! Keep us posted.
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Hello. I am really new, just joined today.. I have a hys scheduled for 4/16 and I am scared out of my mind. I too am in alot of pain ALL THE TIME... I think we ALL have a right to be crabby!! I really hope you feel better soon. And hoping all goes well for you. Take care.

trufrend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register