loosing fitness after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

loosing fitness after LAVH loosing fitness after LAVH

Unread 02-03-2014, 05:54 AM
loosing fitness after LAVH

I am having this done on 6th Feb and have exercised hard doing les mills pump, combat and attack for years and have got to a physical shape and definition i am happy with and am very worried about loosing all that with not being able to exercise or with side affects of the LAVH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Re: loosing fitness after LAVH

I was in the same boat as you - not as hard-core... I didn't find y worry to come true. Yes I did lose a little tone - from inactivity... and stamina was slow to return but you can and will do this. The hardest part for me was remembering that laying off was actually good for me... by that I mean not starting back to soon... any set back will delay your return to fitness longer. I walked and walked a lot. Was up the day of surgery walking the halls and walked the neighbor until my first postop appt. I was released to drive - so I started doing the treadmill at the gym (July surgery). Since then, I have started running (never ran before but always wanted to) I am about to do my first 5k. I hope this sets your worries to ease, at least a little. You will do great.
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:22 AM

how was weight gain or loss for you and how long til you started running?
thank you for answering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2014, 07:28 AM

I'm worried about that too, but remember you can't lose the progress you've already made! I keep telling myself muscles have memory, and I can still use them, just not full force for a little while.
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:17 AM

I was supposed to run my first half marathon in January. But because of insurance and doc availability had to schedule surgery 16 days before the event I was so disappointed, after 10 months of training. I was able to move my registration for next year but wonder how soon I can build back to where I was. Also I love doing cross fit type workouts and wonder if or how soon I can get into it. I walk a little but not ready yet. At 5.5 weeks still have pain and swelly belly after to much movement. I'll be monitoring this thread, really want to hear from others.
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Oh I feel you!
I LOVE exercise... Total body weights, running, interval training, spin-you name it, I'm game.
Just had my hyst Jan 29, and I have gone out walking everyday, including the day of my surgery.
I love being active and I can't wait until I can resume all the classes that I love.
Dr said, just walking for now, he figured by 4 weeks I could bump up the cardio and by 6 weeks some interval training without weights.
I just finished icing my abdomen, I sit with my feet up quite a bit during the day and I have a pretty good case of swelly belly.
Just two weeks ago I could swing a decent kettle bell overhead and now I struggle to lift a coffee mug...
We will get there again, muscles do have a memory, right now we just have to heal well so we can get crazy with the fitness when our bodies allow it.
Heal up!
D.
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:53 AM

I went back to the gym after the 6th week. Did elliptical for 30 minutes and felt fine. The next day I hit the treadmill for 13 minute mile. At first it felt strange to run but as I started to breathe right the body started to remember and I felt real good. Due to the weather I have not done any running outside only treadmill. Before the surgery I was in the gym 5 days a week, ran 30-40 miles a week and ran the NYC marathon. I thought for sure I would lose it all. I did not gain any weight. Just working on getting my endurance back. Havent gone back bootcamp or body combat yet. Dr. Said to ease into everything. Abs are still frozen so not doing any hardcore ab work until feeling comes back.
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Sorry for the delay in answering... I gained abt 7 lbs - prior to surgery... nervous eating. But I lost all of that - plus a couple more by my 9 day postop appt. Small meals and bland (nothing spicy or gas producing and as little salt as possible) to help with swelling and lose of appetite and tastebuds for the first few weeks. I didn't start unning (training) for abt 6 weeks - but I also had a throat surgery at week 5. Hope that helps...
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:19 PM

I am same. Fitness fanatic - 3rd degree martial artist, crossfit, spin etc. You will all be good ladies.

Being in shape prior to surgery is the best way to a good recovery. My surgeon was very happy with my recovery and gave me full release at 7 weeks. She has known me along time and her biggest fear was that I would overdo.

I did tons of walking right away after surgery and then some light weight work - no more than 5 lb weights just to help keep my arms toned and I always did it sitting down. If I felt tired I would skip a day now and then, or if I was out shopping, errands I would not treadmill walk those days.

When I got cleared I started with spin classes, and have been starting slowly with the weights, but can now get thru a full ripped weight class now.

Hardest I found was abdominal work and was really good about stopping when I felt a pull etc. but I am now feeling them engaged again and they are getting stronger and feeling like they are getting back to normal.

You will find it takes a bit of time to get your stamina back, but it gets better every week. I am working out again 5 days a week again and feel great since the surgery. Not being so anemic and having periods is the best !!!!

Stay positive, it will all be good, just listen to your body !
Unread 02-03-2014, 11:24 PM

I am a Chalean Extreme..Brazil Butt Lift..Insanity plus Zumba instructor. Let me tell you - the fitness will help..like strong quads when the abs are not working to get you off the toilet! However..you and I must heal after and it can be frustrating. We will get through it though and our bodies..once healed...will be even stronger. Hugs sister in fitness!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register