Upcoming total hysterectomy 3/29 - daVinci one incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming total hysterectomy 3/29 - daVinci one incision Upcoming total hysterectomy 3/29 - daVinci one incision

Unread 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Upcoming total hysterectomy 3/29 - daVinci one incision

As a person who has retained all of her organs, I’m slightly terrified of my upcoming procedure. I had a cone biopsy and d&c last month that discovered a small tumor in my cervix. My gynecological oncologist has scheduled me for the da Vinci one incision procedure this month. I have read everything I can on this surgery and the thought of complications and what can happen after the procedure has me slightly stressed. I am looking for some positives that occur after hysterectomy. My menstrual cycle has always been regular and normal so I’m not really feeling the pain and desperation that most who have fibroids or endometriosis suffer from. There’s no doubt I’m having the procedure, just looking for the light at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Re: Upcoming total hysterectomy da Vinci one incision

Hi RoxMac to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

All of your feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties are completely normal. This is one tough surgery to face and digest.

I had a TAH BSO for a very large complex ovarian cyst and multiple uterine fibroids at age 46. I had no symptoms and no pain, and everything was functioning normally (or so I thought). I did not want this surgery, but it was the best solution, given my medical condition. (BTW, I also had a cancer concern and my surgeon was a gyn onc. He did a great job. They are highly skilled surgeons at handling more complex situations and larger masses. All was tested in the OR and all was benign.)

Other than surgical menopause, for which I take HRT, I have had no complications or serious side effects from this surgery. Keep in mind that people post when they have negative outcomes, but do not post when they have positive outcomes. It is just human nature. But, because of this, you can get a skewed view of things. Most women have this surgery, and recover without any issues.

Unread 03-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Re: Upcoming total hysterectomy 3/29 - daVinci one incision

I had the Davinci (4 incisions) on 2/20/18. Due to family h/o cancer. The recovery was not as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I feel great. I am on a hormone replacement patch which I highly recommend. As far as recovery, my dr said no sex for 6 weeks. No lifting over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. No strenuous activity for the first 2 weeks. The worst part of surgery for me, was the gas pain afterwards. I would try to lay down, and had a persistent gas bubble under my right rib. The first night Home, I slept in a chair surrounded by pillows. After a couple hours, I was able to sleep in bed with 5 pillows supporting every part of my body. I do have swelly belly, but I had my insides removed and others shifted around. Pajama pants and my husbands sweat pants work for me. Just remember to allow your body to heal. Take naps when you are tired and make sure someone else will clean, do laundry and cook.

Hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Both of you have given tremendous insight! I thank you. I try to not read the negative because I know that’s what most talk about it. I figured this was the best place to come for the truth and positivity!
Unread 03-05-2018, 06:29 PM

I had a davinci hysterectomy October 20th with 4 incisions. I had to stay overnight in the hospital but when I got out of surgery, I sat in recovery for an hour, got to my room and went for a walk. I had 2 c-sections so this was a walk in the park!! I took some ibuprofen for a couple of days and was good pain wise, just felt crampy. Surgery scared me, I had never been under anesthesia before, but it was awesome. You go to sleep, wake up and it’s done!! So almost 5 months later, I feel fabulous and would do it again. Don’t stress, you will do great!!
Unread 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM

That is fantastic! I’m so glad to hear it went that well for you. Hoping for the same outcome!
Unread 03-06-2018, 07:00 PM

My hysterectomy was for endometrial cancer. I wasn't in pain or anything. The only symptom I had was some light post-menopausal bleeding that was already a couple of months in the past when the cancer was diagnosed. So *physically* it didn't feel as if there was anything for the hysterectomy to cure, but intellectually I knew I needed the surgery and figured I should just get 'er done.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy so my recovery was a bit longer than yours is likely to be, but it was quite easy and even rather relaxing, as I put most of my normal life on hold for the duration. I had minimal pain and no complications. I spent most of time going for walks - short, slow and on flat ground at first - and sitting out in the sun reading and sewing. I prepared simple foods, washed a few dishes, kept the litter box scooped and let the rest go. The cats were hardly going to complain. They liked having Mumma at home to play with them so much of the time! :-)

Five years later, I still weigh the same, I'm still physically active (with the addition of yoga, which I took up a year or so after my surgery) and my pelvic floor shows no sign of collapsing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register