waiting for pre op appt. how long is usual? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

waiting for pre op appt. how long is usual? waiting for pre op appt. how long is usual?

Unread 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
waiting for pre op appt. how long is usual?

hello...i am new here..and nervous..i was told i definitely needed a hysterectomy for fibroids and ovarian cysts on july 22..the doctor at the gyn clinic told me that in 2-3 weeks i would be getting a call from the surgeon he was refering me to and that would be my pre-op appointment..at 3 weeks and no phone call i called the clinic and they said they were'backed up' and that if i called today there might be some news on when my pre op appt is...so i called and they still dont know. i dont even know the surgeons name who will be operating on me...nor do i know my surgery date...i dont know if this is a normal process or if i am being jerked around here. i have no insurance but am covered under the hospitas uncompensated care package and am wondering if that is why too..altho they tell me it isnt..i am scared enough than to have to deal with all this red tape..any suggestions or help would be welcomed..sorry this is so long...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Re: waiting for pre op appt. how long is usual?

Hi calcapz11!

I am sorry for the stress you are feeling right now - I know that we all can relate, so you have come to the right place for some support! I am sure you will hear from more ladies here about their waiting experiences and hopefully some suggestions.

I can't answer your questions specifically because it seems there is huge variation in hospital wait lists etc. I waited several weeks for the pre op appointment and a few months for my surgery date but from what I have seen on here there are many ladies who get through much quicker. So all I can really offer is a hug and to let you know what you are experiencing is, unfortunately, normal! Waiting is SO hard!

In the meantime, is there any way to find another doctor for another opinion/referral? I know this can feel daunting (it was for me) but in the end having more than one consult can sure pay off. I can see that it might be tricky to do this and still have it covered by the care package you are under....but sometimes it is surprising what you find out when you keep digging.

I hope that you get all your questions answered and feel confidant about your choice of surgeon in the end. Be your own best advocate and don't feel bad pushing for answers to your questions. It's hard work but it's such an important thing to do for yourself.

Please keep us posted!
Unread 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM

I found out for sure that I was getting my hysterectomy on July 27th. The scary thing for me; they offered to do the surgery two days later! But, that's this area, and all hospitals are different. I'm sorry you have to go through that, and it's true. The waiting is the worst part of it all. My surgery is set for 8/27, and I almost wish I would have done it when they offered it to me! I agree to take this time to see if it's possible to get a second opinion just to make sure, and maybe they might be able to get you in sooner. Just a thought! Hang in there. Take a few deep breaths, lol. It's hard now, but it's worth it in the end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM

wow...thanks so much for replying so soon..fire and colorado1221..big hugs...well..they called me about 4 hours later yesterday with my pre-op and its set for sept 1st then they said they will discuss my options and set the surgery date. i have actually had 3 doctors look at my results and tell me the same thing,sadly..it seems i have lots of uterine fibroids and one large subserosal(?) behind my uterus pressing on my bladder and rectum..and dont i know it,ugh. i am just really scared that i will never be the same again. i cried when i got the call,and i feel so bad about that because i am supposed to be trusting god in all of this...but its scarey...thanks for listening and being there..hugs
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM

That is excellent news that you have your pre-op appointment scheduled and good for you for having already gotten three opinions!

When you feel scared that you will never be the same again, try to tell yourself that it's true in a GREAT way! You will not have the same pain or the same discomfort, and you will not have the same kinks put in your plans all the time! It's good to acknowledge that you're scared and it's great that you're here for support. Do everything you can to focus on your exciting healthy future! I got so focussed on my surgery date that one day I thought "oh ya!! This isn't about the surgery, it's about what comes AFTER the surgery!!"

Hang in there!
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM

I am so glad that you got your pre-op appointment! That is great news. You know, fire, that is something that I didn't even think of. I have kept my thoughts on the surgery day; I didn't think of the after other than the recovery time, and the "down" time from work. That makes me smile, though. No more pain in the butt biopsies, no more LEEP, and hopefully no more painful lovemaking with my husband! Thanks for the smile, fire!
Unread 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM

fire and colorado...you 2 are awesome..i feel better about this all knowing there are ladies who are so non judgemental and caring...i am sooo glad i found this site...thank you both so much and i will keep you posted...p.s..no i never thought to focus on feeling better afterwards...thats a new plan...thank you...blessings to you both..
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:24 PM

I will be thinking of you both and looking for your future posts!

Stay as strong and calm as possible! Keep feeling proud of the action you are taking for the sake of your future health and happiness!
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:32 PM

thank you fire...i will definitely keep you updated...and asking moooore questions...of course.Cheers!! deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register