Surgery Warrior but this... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Warrior but this... Surgery Warrior but this...

Unread 10-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Surgery Warrior but this...

Hi sisters!

First, please forgive me, because I've been lurking in the fringes since I heard the "H" word back in February 2003. But I'm here now!

I've had two surgeries on each foot, carpal tunnel, sinus surgery, 2 laparoscopies, yada, yada, yada and have always been put completely out. At most, I lost partial use of a foot/arm or had to walk around with bandages. Never 6 weeks out of work.

I'm having TAH/BSO 11/12...and with only two-weeks to go, I'm starting to get scared. Add to that I saw a website that showed actual surgery pictures (thank goodness I'm not a nurse) and my heebee-geebee's have gotten worse.

I never worried about the pain, but this time...so, I told them, "Load me up - I don't want to feel a thing!".

I think what worries me most is being 'down' and not being able to do for myself, and not being good about asking for help either. I've got a wonderful boyfriend, but don't want to run him away because I'm too needy (his 'ex' went through this, but TVH, and was just fine in 2 weeks).

Any thoughts on what I can really do to prepare for all this? Any advice?

Looking forward to chatting with you all alot in the next 13 days!
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi,

Welcome, and glad you decided to post. It sounds like you have had your share of surgeries and tests and hopefully this will be it, and no more for you.

I guess the one of the best things to do is discuss your upcoming surgery with your dr, read, and research as much as you can and ask lots of questions.

Here are some pre-op articles to look at:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...hp?forumid=170

I hope these might help.

s
Unread 10-28-2003, 07:06 PM

Hi Susan,

Welcome to Hystersisters. I found this great site a month before my hyst last year. Like you, I was really scared about having this surgery. I had a tah/bso and the recovery time had me worried too. I'm also not real good at asking for help from people. I found that I could ask for and did receive all the help that I needed. I won't lie to you, I did get bored from time to time during my recovery period. I found it hard to concentrate at first so I couldn't read much. I did enjoy watching movies ( esp the classics) and that helped. I even found game shows entertaining LOL.

Truthfully, I needed a lot of help for the first few days and after that I pretty much cared for myself. Except for the heavy stuff - that had to wait for my dr's release - at 6 weeks.

We have a great list of pre op articles and hints. here's a link to them:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=170

Also, would you please go to your profile and add your surgery date so that you'll be included in that day's best wishes list?

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2003, 07:27 PM

Well, I had two ankle surgeries. I was not allowed to put any weight on my foot for two weeks with the first one and a six weeks with the second. I figure I have to be ahead of the game with this because at least they aren't going to send my clumsy butt home on crutches!

I also had hernia surgery four years ago and a cyst removed from an ovary nine years ago. I guess in a way that makes me more nervous, because I have some idea of how abdominal surgery can hurt, but won't know how much more this will hurt until it's over and done with.

I would recommend informing yourself, but avoiding the things you know will freak you out. Don't watch "ER" with them jump starting folks and sticking stuff into people. Don't watch those real life doctor shows on Lifetime. Remember, the "boring" cases where everything goes right aren't worth showing to them. Don't go to web sites with graphic photos. You can get the information you need without going into that kind of detail. At least that's what I plan on doing. But then I'm the kind of person who looks the other way when they give me a shot or draw blood and I do not sneak a peak of my scar before the bandage is ready to come off.

This is a license to be good to yourself, take it for all it's worth.
Unread 10-29-2003, 02:04 AM

HI and Welcome.... no need to apologize for "lurking" ... we all do that for a bit!

You have received some good advice --- you may also want to check out the POST-OP articles:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...hp?forumid=171

Please keep in mind that while you will be sore and tired, and you shouldn't be lifting things, you should not really be "bedridden"....
You will most likely be able to make yourself lunch after the first week, get up and get yourself drinks --- you can even set up a cooler beside your bed!

I've read posts from women who are up and out of bed cooking and taking care of their kids almost as soon as they get home from the hospital - and while I FIRMLY believe this is *not* good for anyone..... it seems clear that for the most part we can manage to do quite a bit for ourselves.
the trick is to find the right balance for you.
I spent 4 days in hospital, then my dh was home with me for six days, then I was on my own while he was at work.

I know that is *my* experience, but I can confess that I'm a bit of a weenie and I actually didn't feel too bad. The third week after surgery was the worst - which often seems to be the case - seems to be a point where internal stitches are starting to dissolve and all the meds are working their way out of your system... It might not happen that way for you.. but then again, maybe it will.

hope that helps
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your advice!

As far as the surgery goes, I'm nervous, but I've read so much, I'm thinking I know in my head what to expect. I'm almost more nervous about not getting everything done I need to get done before the surgery. So I've taken the day off work before I go in, to do the grocery shopping, finish Christmas shopping, do my laundry and pack my stuff for the hospital stay.

I did the drug store run for the "night before" stuff, but am so worried about the stuff I'm going to forget.

Oh well, thanks again for all your advice, and I promise to keep reading on! I must be a glutten for sick stuff, I keep seeing all the real-life pictures and can't believe what the docs can do for us!

Blessings to you all!
Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register