returning to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

returning to work returning to work

Unread 10-25-2004, 10:26 AM
returning to work

I'm scheduled for a total hysterectomy on Nov. 16. Has anyone heard of returning to work after 2 weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2004, 10:36 AM
returning to work

memphisone -

There ARE ladies who have done it and it sounds like a lot of it depends on your type of job. I am a computer programmer which means I sit on my duff all day long. I originally told my boss I'd be back after 2 weeks. My HR rep flipped and said no way because she was out 9 weeks and really needed 2 more. Since she came to my defense, everyone is now expecting me to come back after 3 weeks. Well.... if I had stuck to my original plan, I'd be back at work this Wednesday and you know what? I could do it. But I would have to make sure I got up and did a lap around the parking lot every hour or so. At this point, I'm going to enjoy the next week (I really feel great and have a very full social calendar!!) and allow myself the three weeks.

Best of luck -
Lisa
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:43 AM
returning to work

It depends on when your DR gives you the ok to return to work, and what kind of work you do. A lot of companies won't let an employee return without a signed release from their DR so the company can't be held liable in case of complications that may arise from the employee returning too soon and doing something they aren't supposed to do.

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2004, 10:49 AM
returning to work

Depends on if its vag or abdmonial.
Also depends on what type of work you do.
I went back to work at 2.5 weeks after a TAH but only went back part time, and didn't do any lifting or sitting.
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:59 AM
returning to work

This is just my experience:

At two weeks post-op (which just would have happened to have been a Monday), I was nowhere near well enough to go back to work. Not just pain-wise, but I just felt wiped out!

I also think that oftentimes women want to downplay the gravity of this surgery. Sure, sisters have gone back to work after two weeks, but why??

Unless you really cannot take off any more time than that, take more time -- that's my advice. None of us is irreplaceable, and unless you're a brain surgeon, there are lots of people out there who can fill in for you for a few weeks. Heck, I'm the boss at my place (35 employees) and I've hardly set foot inside there since 9/17, which was my last day of work before surgery. Any employer worth his or her salt will allow you sufficient time off for recovery.

<Soapbox mode off>

Hope everything goes well for you!
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:03 AM
returning to work

Memphisone,
It depends on so many things...you can't make that decision until you are at that point in time. I had a TAH/BSO on 9/17/04 and went back to work after only two weeks, but only because I had no choice. I needed the money. It worked out really well for me and I honestly believe that it helped me heal. Getting back to a normal lifestyle was good for me, BUT...that is because I just sit at a desk all day, with a chair that reclines and a p.c. that I use for a foot stool. I never had to get up unless I wanted to. If you have any other type of job, Please wait a little longer.

At 5 1/2 weeks post op I feel really good and can't complain too much. Just listen to your body and think about what sort of work you do and talk to your doctor.
I wish you the best of health!
Pattigo
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:21 AM
returning to work

gez no way I could have went back to work at 2-3 weeks, I didn't even start driving until then and still needed daily naps to get me through the day, still sore and could not even bend over the slightest - I am sure they would have sent me home if I showed up looking and feeling like I did at 2 weeks, my place of employment is very supportive thus far and wants me to be able to function not just show up (still had brain fog at 2-3 weeks). Just went for 6 weeks check today and Dr advised to take the entire 8 weeks if possible - you won't know what you can do until you get to that point of your recovery - my advise be good to yourself and dont push it, this is major surgery not a race.
Unread 10-25-2004, 11:52 AM
returning to work

My doctor advised that I take six weeks since I'm having everything taken out. THe nurse in my doctor's office said that for the first two weeks I should do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I have a friend who had the surgery and said eight weeks off wasn't even enough for her.

I've had people in the office say that I'll probably feel like coming back after a couple of weeks, but i've decided to go ahead and take the whole time, even though I can't afford it.
Thanks for the input.
Unread 10-25-2004, 02:37 PM
returning to work

I have been told that I wont be allowed to drive for 4-6 weeks by the insurance company and my boss has told me not to think of going back for 2 -3 months. I think we have an easier option in the UK. They seem to be very hard on you in the US. I think as women we always feel obliged to go back far too early after any ailment! Bear in mind we also have a home to run, hard work juggling both even when your in excellent health.
Unread 10-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Are you mad ?

I returned three weeks ago and that was 12 weeks after my TAH.and I was still worn out by the end of the day. There is no way I could have done my job 2 weeks after surgery, at that point it was still uncomfortable to move and I still required regular pain relief.
I understand pay systems for sick time are very different in different countries I was lucky to be on full pay for my whole period of sickness, I was under no pressure to return and so was able to recover both physically and mentally from the whole ordeal.
If you can afford to take the time to recover fully please do - you really owe it to yourself.
Here on hyster sisters it is always stressed how important it is to rest and look after yourself. Read all the advice it is fab and so honest. You never feel alone with the support from the site, even in the middle of the night when insomnia is making it impossible to sleep.
I have posted very few messages but have read hundreds and have sat at the computer for hours getting all the help, support and reassurance I needed .
Good luck, don't push yourself too soon. Take all the offers of help you are given and ignore the dust settling on the furniture - it only comes back once you sweep it away !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register