Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 28-Oct 04,2020 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 28-Oct 04,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 28-Oct 04,2020

Unread 10-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 28-Oct 04,2020

Hi fellow beautiful warriors!
I’m about 17 hours post op and it’s been something!

I arrived at the hospital yesterday and received a call telling me that they expected my surgery to begin at 10:45, not 12:30p as I was told. After a small heart attack (metaphorical of course) I checked in and the nurse told me there must have been a mixup.

I get checked in for laparoscopic DaVinci procedure and wait, and wait, and wait. Turns out the patient ahead of me had a far worse case of endo than they thought. At 7pm they finally took me back for surgery. I was asking the doc if he neeed a nap, a run, a meal - anything before he touched me. He was in great spirits and went to each his sandwich while they turned over the OR.

I woke up about 3.5 hours later. I was told the surgery went beautifully, only my tubes and uterus were removed. I was so afraid that they’d end up taking my ovaries but they did not. When I got home, my abdominal binder was on the doorstep- praise puppies! The binder made sleep much more pleasant.

Last night I was “hungry like wolf” but only ate lentil soup with a chocolate square and 10 Cheez it’s. This morning I had half a bagel if a little soup. The gas in my intestines is making itself known so I’ll be having gas ex and ginger tea.

I was discharged so late last night I didn’t get prescriptions filled until today. :-( But they are kicking in nicely. I’ve managed my pain with ibuprofen and a heating pad for my shoulder- yes the right shoulder!

With less than a day under my belt, I’ve felt the shoulder pain, discomfort in the abdomen (sometimes it’s soreness and other times bloating I think), and I’m still a little unsteady on my feet.

And finally about the bowels: I did bowel prep prior to the surgery so I’m not seeing anything substantial. But in terms of urinating- it’s been glorious! My fibroids prevented me from sitting and fully emptying my bladder. Now I can sit normally and watch my body do it’s thing. There is a slight burning but I think that will pass. (No pun intended!)

The binder, heating pad and wedge have been Goddess-sent! I’m sure the gas-ex will prove valuable.

I appreciate all the advice and experiences that each warrior has shared!

More to come!
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersel View Post
Hi fellow beautiful warriors!
I’m about 17 hours post op and it’s been something!

I arrived at the hospital yesterday and received a call telling me that they expected my surgery to begin at 10:45, not 12:30p as I was told. After a small heart attack (metaphorical of course) I checked in and the nurse told me there must have been a mixup.

I get checked in for laparoscopic DaVinci procedure and wait, and wait, and wait. Turns out the patient ahead of me had a far worse case of endo than they thought. At 7pm they finally took me back for surgery. I was asking the doc if he neeed a nap, a run, a meal - anything before he touched me. He was in great spirits and went to each his sandwich while they turned over the OR.

I woke up about 3.5 hours later. I was told the surgery went beautifully, only my tubes and uterus were removed. I was so afraid that they’d end up taking my ovaries but they did not. When I got home, my abdominal binder was on the doorstep- praise puppies! The binder made sleep much more pleasant.

Last night I was “hungry like wolf” but only ate lentil soup with a chocolate square and 10 Cheez it’s. This morning I had half a bagel if a little soup. The gas in my intestines is making itself known so I’ll be having gas ex and ginger tea.

I was discharged so late last night I didn’t get prescriptions filled until today. :-( But they are kicking in nicely. I’ve managed my pain with ibuprofen and a heating pad for my shoulder- yes the right shoulder!

With less than a day under my belt, I’ve felt the shoulder pain, discomfort in the abdomen (sometimes it’s soreness and other times bloating I think), and I’m still a little unsteady on my feet.

And finally about the bowels: I did bowel prep prior to the surgery so I’m not seeing anything substantial. But in terms of urinating- it’s been glorious! My fibroids prevented me from sitting and fully emptying my bladder. Now I can sit normally and watch my body do it’s thing. There is a slight burning but I think that will pass. (No pun intended!)

The binder, heating pad and wedge have been Goddess-sent! I’m sure the gas-ex will prove valuable.

I appreciate all the advice and experiences that each warrior has shared!

More to come!
S
Being prepared with what you need and having appropriate expectations seem to make such a difference in how we cope even when things don't go as expected. You had an eventful day and seem to have handled it remarkably well! I keep forgetting about Gas-x! Thanks for the reminder!!
Unread 10-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 28-Oct 04,2020

Hi guys. Today is day three and the only problems I’m experiencing is the CO2 and passing gas without pooping. I’ve drank peppermint and smooth move tea and herbal stool softener. I need help because it hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2020, 04:09 PM

Hi all. 5 days post op and not feeling any better, but not feeling hospital worthy either. Best time was right after when I had the pain med and anesthesia still working. It is a tough ride out. Heating pad, soup, gasx, walking, laying, showering. Extent of it all. Face is really warm all the time, but not really a temp. Peaks at 99.8. Happy to see so many posts and women who are going through the same experience. Comforting. Hugs for all.
Unread 10-03-2020, 04:13 PM

Sharing a couple things that have helped me...
Miralax - my doc recommended this plus the stool softener. I wasn't sure about this, but it definitely worked.

Healing Guided Meditations - found on YouTube and my meditation app. Some were a little silly, but surprisingly helpful in helping deal with the pain and reframing my attitude.

I also did a Qi Gong seated routine on YouTube which felt so good - encouraged some nice deep breathing and range of motion for arms and shoulders.

Medication app - this helped me from sleeping through meds and getting behind on my schedule.

And because I probably have a bit more bleeding from vaginal prolapse repairs, I have been using disposal underwear like Always or Depends. Provides extra cushion and room to stuff in ice packs or heating pad in back.

What else has been surprisingly helpful for you?
Unread 10-03-2020, 04:24 PM

Checking in on my recovery sisters. I hope everyone is feeling well. Hang in there ladies! We got this!

Anyone else feel like they have to constantly pee?
When I go to the bathroom I find I have to lean forward a little bit to get the final drops out.
Then I feel like I have to pee again not long after.
Unread 10-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNOLA View Post
Checking in on my recovery sisters. I hope everyone is feeling well. Hang in there ladies! We got this!

When I go to the bathroom I find I have to lean forward a little bit to get the final drops out.
I’ve been going like every 3 hours. I find myself on the toilet each time at 10mins until I feel like I’m completely empty.
Unread 10-03-2020, 05:26 PM

I feel like I have to constantly pee, but it’s because of the catheter, lol. I’m so tired of it already! I’m so sleepy that I am really dozy right now and probably going to sleep soon. I also have a medication app to help keep me staying on top of pain meds. My sweet cat has been on my chest and keeps licking me. I think she k ones I am unwell.
Unread 10-03-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNOLA View Post

I feel like it’s a constant cycle—drink hot tea for my sore throat, pee. Drink cool water to stay hydrated, pee. I haven’t pooped yet but have been taking the stool softener and eating soft foods like scrambled eggs and chicken noodle soup along with some mixed greens for gentle roughage. Glad to read I’m not the only one lol
Unread 10-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufflepuff View Post
I feel like I have to constantly pee, but it’s because of the catheter, lol. I’m so tired of it already! I’m so sleepy that I am really dozy right now and probably going to sleep soon. I also have a medication app to help keep me staying on top of pain meds. My sweet cat has been on my chest and keeps licking me. I think she k ones I am unwell.
My cats have also been overly attentive since I got home—I keep a pillow on my lap in my recliner so they’re nowhere near my abdominal incisions from the RALH. I love it though—felines are the best medicine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register