TAH/BSO With Vertical Incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO With Vertical Incision TAH/BSO With Vertical Incision

Unread 11-28-2003, 04:35 PM
TAH/BSO With Vertical Incision

As my surgery date of December 6th draws near, I am starting
to become very nervous. I am a "fluffy" woman and found out
that the doctor will be doing a vertical incision. Just curious if
there are any other fluffy or non-fluffy women who have had
this type of incision, and what I can expect as far as pain and
recovery. I am going to have staples. Is there any supplies that
I should get for cleaning that area? Can you take showers with no problems and is it okay to get that area wet? Thanks for all the great support and advice I have received. I'm sure its true
what everyone says that the waiting is the worse part. I will be
so happy when all of this is behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2003, 04:46 PM

hey beatlesfan! I see you're on your coutdown to surgery. fear not ... the vertical incision isn't much different from a horizontal incision except for the placement.

"Fluffy" ok, I like it ... anyway I am/was a size 16 when I had my TAH/LSO with a vertical incision. The incision was done not because of my size, but because of the widespread placement of the fibroids the doctor was setting out to remove.

I had had horizontal incisions during my previous myomectomies and found the healing to be very similar. The pain, well It was the same for me ... and the pain is more internal than the actual incision, in my opinion. The only thing I found truly differet was that it was a bit tougher to keep the incision from getting iritated at my waist. (mine started just above my belly button).

The main thing is to keep it clean and dry. For the iritation I was experiecing I used a maxipad folded over my panties to pad it a little bit and get any ooze that naturally seeped from the healing incision.

The doctor will provide instructions on cleaning and care of your wound. I was instructed to take showers only, and be sure I kept it dry. I used dabs of peroxide when the staples were looking a bit ify.

Your doctor will also tell you what they will close you up with. Some ladies have staples, some don't. Some have them removed after 3 days, some a week. With my vertical staples, I had 28 of them. 1/2 were removed after 7 days, the other half after 14. I was ready to yank the last 14 out way earlier, and on those is when I had to use the peroxide just cause I wanted to.

When my staples were removed, steri-strips were put on. These fall off in their own time, generally about 1-2 weeks. Peroxide and steri-strips is an icky combination, FYI.

Waiting is the wortst part! All the best to you,

BSQ
Unread 11-28-2003, 06:40 PM

Hello....it's another fluffy lady here. Had my TAH vertical on

11/07/03. Everybody's tolerance for pain is different. I had

pain, but only for about a day and 1/2. No staples...

just steri strips which fell off at about 2 weeks. My

did a fabulous job! There is one small area that is still open.

I do my best to keep it dry, using a blow dryer on low setting.

I also keep a sterile gauze pad over it to help keep it dry.

Ask your MD for pointers on how to deal with your incision.

He'll know the best way to get it healing the fastest.

Good Luck s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2003, 07:38 PM

When I had my surgery in July 2003, part of my vertical incision came open and it took a while to heal, it would seep and bleed. I put Preparation H on it and it shrunk down to nothing in a few days. LOL I did it with my doctors approval.

Take Care,
Heather
Unread 11-28-2003, 08:16 PM

I just wanted to comment. I had a horizontal incision but I needed to say the women on this site are pure geniouses. I mean BobbySue that is the best thing I have heard about folding the maxi pad in half over your panties. What an incredible idea.

I also wanted to comment to BeatlesFan, I am not to far away from Ellicott City. I work at Fort Meade. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

The waiting is the hardest part. Just think you are soon to be a princess, and princesses need to be pampered.

Good luck.
Unread 11-28-2003, 10:15 PM

Your doctor will instruct you on the care of your incision. I had staples on my vertical (TAH/BSO) incision which were removed 1 week post-op and replaced with steri-strips. My doctor did not want me to get the incision wet for 2 weeks; I'm now about 18 days post-op. He requested that I cover the incision during my showers and then dry it immediately after taking a shower if it got wet. I cut ziploc bags down to size and sealed the area around the incision with waterproof medical tape, which DH bought at the drug store.

Additionally, both the doctor and the hospital R.N. cautioned me not to let the shower stream hit the incision -- both suggested that I let the water hit my back. Oh, the first shower and shampoo at home after leaving the castle felt so good.

Best wishes.
Aloha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register