Getting conflicting advise from doctors, about perimenopause, and fibroids. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting conflicting advise from doctors, about perimenopause, and fibroids. Getting conflicting advise from doctors, about perimenopause, and fibroids.

Unread 03-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Getting conflicting advise from doctors, about perimenopause, and fibroids.

I am new to all this, and could really use the advice of other women who may have gone through what I am now.
Until 2 1/2 years ago, I had fairly normal periods, nothing strange to speak of. Then I had a heavy period that lasted a week.,and 10 days later another one. It was so heavy I sought out a OBGYN . After running several tests( throids, pap smears, ect. ) to eliminate other possibilites. I was told I am showing signs of perimenopause, ( I was 41 at the time ) and that I have a large fibroid ( fist size ) which is above my bladder. He suggest BCP, and to try and tough it out, since menopause would cause the fibroids to shrink, making surgery un-neccessary. He started a 10 day a month regiment of progestrone. This increased the number of days I had a period from 6 to 10, but most of those days were spotting or light. I did this for a year, but after that my period lenth increased, and the pills did not seem to effect it anymore. For awhile I just stopped taking them, and I was able to manage without it. though the length of perionds were sometimes 15 days, and might occur 15 days apart, almost all of it was spotting. Then after 32 days of spotting, the heavy bleeding started again. I was having pelvic pain, and cramps. I had to go to another doctor, because my normal one couldn't see me for several days, I didn't want to wait too long. The flows stopped after 3 days, then nospotting or any flow after that.
I kept my appointment with the new doctor, and now here's where all the confusion comes in. He isn't sure I am in perimenopause, but that all the problems could be coming from the fibroid. That I don't need to tough it out, and having periods for more than 10 days is not normal and I should do something to stop them. I am only 43, and I have no past family experience to rely on for menopause time tables. I was 41 when I went to the first doctor. I have no children ( nor do I want any ) and I did start my period at 13. When the first doctor spoke of it, I just assumed he knew what he was talking about. I didn't think to ask more questions. Now the second one has me wondering, so I did the research, and asked around about menopause. I found that I was having symptons, I didn't even know were related to menopause. I told the newest doctor about the symptons ( things like body, and breath odor changing, roof of mouth feeling like it was burning, insomnia... ) When he examined me and found the fibroid ( which I had told him about ) He started thinking it was all fibroid related, and that to stop the irregular ( and sometimes heavy bleeding ) I needed a hysterectmy. I did look at fibroid symptons and was having them, but I was having more than just that. This doctor did a biopsy, and a pap, and said we would discuss all of it further when I went back for the results. I read where many women have had similar problems when it came to fibroids, and to menopause, some did opt for surgery, but instead tried the gambit of other proceedures from hormone treatment to radical surgeries.
My questions are many, and the answers are few. Is surgery the right choice for me, Are there other choices for me? What of Menopause, is it all in my head? What should I ask when I return in a few days? I am scared and feel alone in this, I have looked at so many sites, and read so many things. It's all so very confusing. Are there woman out there who have had what I am going through, what did you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 03:03 PM

First, I would ask your doctor to run tests to check the levels of your hormones - they can do this to help determine if you are in or near menopause.

At age 38 I had the endometrial ablation done because I had some large fibroids. The fibroids were causing long and heavy bleeding. The ablation removed the lining of the uterus and most of the fibroids but the fibroids had already grown deep into the wall of my uterus so I knew there was a good chance I may have to have a hysterectomy someday. After the ablation I had no bleeding for over a year but gradually the bleeding did come back and was heavy and painful again. I had my hysterectomy (LAVH) 2 years ago at age 41 - my uterus and cervix were removed, I kept both ovaries. Sometimes the ablation alone takes care of things and sometimes a hysterectomy is still done later because problems reoccur. I tried the ablation firts because it was a less invasive procedure- howeer, because the bleeding came back it was necessary for me to have the hysterectomy

HysterSisters is a great site to do research to see what your options may be. Here is the link to
Hysterectomy Options & Alternatives Resources.

I would get several opinions from different doctors before you decide how to proceed. If you do decide to have surgery you will also have to decide if you want to keep your ovaries or not. Take your time - having a major surgery is a huge decision. It is best if you can do as much research as possible and make an informed decision.

Here are some additional links for you to check out:

Fibroid FAQs

A FOCUS ON FIBROIDS: WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?

Hope this helps some.

s
Unread 03-18-2004, 03:25 PM

Hi!
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of us who can relate to your problem! The first thing I can suggest is keep researching!

And Hystersisters is a wonderful place to do that (not to mention a great place to get some much needed support too!)

There is also a website that specifically adresses the problem of fibroids that I found to be very helpful:
http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/..._treatment.htm

Also , there is a book which I highly recommend from Dr. William Parker called "A Gynecologist's Second Opinion" and I'm pretty certain you can buy it on the above website.
The book explains in great detail all the alternatives to hysterectomy and explores a wealth of other topics related to uterine health.

I am about your age and have been to 2 doctors who recommended that I either have a hysterectomy for my fibroids or continue with BCP until menopause. ( I have't had any perimenopausal symptoms...probably because I'm on the Pill))
So far, after 7 years, the pills have been keeping me regular. I do have occasional spotting and about one day during my period where I am living in the bathroom because the flow gets so heavy. I want to go off BCP because I 'm experiencing some unpleasant side effects (Hairloss and varicose veins)

I am going for opinion #3 in 2 weeks because I feel that there are more than just 2 options available to me.

As some of the other Hystersisters have said to me, the decision to have surgery or not is ultimately up to you.

Best of luck with everything!

And please keep us posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register