6 weeks into Lupron, mixed results? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks into Lupron, mixed results? 6 weeks into Lupron, mixed results?

Unread 02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
6 weeks into Lupron, mixed results?

I'm 6 weeks into Lupron treatment for extreme PMDD (I was only able to stay awake 8 hours of the day, severly hypoglycemic and depressed 2 weeks out of every month), and I've felt better than I ever have in my entire life the whole time, except I'm starting to feel a little empty, lack of emotions, desires, sex drive, etc.

I'm afraid of getting depressed or it having an impact on my romantic life (my significant other says i seem distant). Does anyone know if add back therapy helps? I'm fairly young, 22, and also slightly afraid of hormonal add back therapy because before, when I was treated with every type of oral contraceptive under the sun, it made me EXTREMELY depressed.

Should I call my doctor to let him know I'm starting to get depressed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Hi!

I'm sorry that you're having so many symptoms while using Lupron. I don't have any personal experience to share with Lupron but hopefully someone who has will be along soon to share.

You asked if you should call your doctor because you're starting to get depressed. The answer to that question is "yes". It's always best to keep your doctor informed of anything that concerns you about your health and well-being.

I'm sending best wishes!

s
Unread 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm updating this thread with additional information, as it was suggested by April Dawn:

I'm going through Lupron Depot (monthly) therapy currently with no add back therapy yet, and I'm about 6 weeks into it. No one quite knows what's wrong with me, other than to say an extraordinarily severe form of PMDD. For the past 10 years (I'm 22 now) I've been exhausted, depressed, and almost insane from my hormones for atleast 2 weeks out of every month before my period. I was extremely hypoglycemic and unable to stay awake for more than 8-10 hours every day. This is all made much worse by taking oral contraceptive pills, regardless of the variety. Finally, just this year I found a Reproductive Endocrinologist who actually took me seriously and decided to treat me. He tested me for a variety of commonplace things first, thyroid tests, diabetes, etc, to rule out any other options, and then suggested lupron.

In the past 6 weeks I've lost almost 8 lbs from being able to be awake for a normal time period and felt normal for the first time I can remember, although now I'm starting to feel kind of empty, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not used to having normal levels of emotion instead of crazy ones or if I'm actually getting depressed. I'm no longer hypoglycemic, which is a huge burden to have lifted from my shoulders.

I'm worried and concerned, however, about what this means for me: how long can I safely take lupron for? I know if I continue past 3 months I need addback therapy, but will that make me sick again like birth control pills did before? Neither my doctor or I can really even begin to guess if this is the sort of thing that may resolve as I get older (which happened in my Mother's case, who had similar symptoms when she was younger, but less severe and resolved for her earlier on) or if I will need a hysterectomy if I'm unable to tolerate any sort of hormonal therapy.

In the mean time, I feel awfully silly buying Estroven at the pharmacy, but it does seem to make me feel a bit better.

- Kristy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2008, 03:23 PM

I don't know what to tell you hun, but I wanted to give you some support... I'm starting Lupron therapy for PMDD and migraines next week.
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:03 PM

ieatbugs and kimmellee,
I've had experience with PMDD and Lupron. After a couple of years of no success with several different drug cocktails, I went on Lupron for my severe PMDD symptoms. The doctor I went to has many patients who have successfully been on Lupron longterm (10 years or more). What he does for add back therapy is daily estrogen and progesterone 2days on and 2 days off. He's done a longterm study that showed no compromise to bone health. So that was my hope for me. Unfortunately my symptoms returned after being symptom free for 5 months or so. There are different possibilities why-either specifically because of the progesterone or just because of the severity of my PMDD. So I did have a hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy and am feeling great!
As for your feelings of depression, Kristy, do see your doctor as soon as possible.
Good luck--there are better times ahead!
Deanna
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost over
ieatbugs and kimmellee,
The doctor I went to has many patients who have successfully been on Lupron longterm (10 years or more). What he does for add back therapy is daily estrogen and progesterone 2days on and 2 days off. He's done a longterm study that showed no compromise to bone health.

Thanks for the information!
It's a relief to hear about the bone density information.

I started taking Estroven a few days go and it has definitely helped with the depression, now I just seem to be slightly grumpy, I'm not sure what that's about.

So your doctor recommends.. estrogen for two days, and then progesterone for two days? or estrogen & progesterone daily, for two days, and then nothing, for two days?

At what age did you have your hysterectomy if you don't mind me asking? and what other combinations of drug cocktails have you tried (I'm assuming probably SSRIs and maybe something like danazol?)
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM

After re-reading my entry I realize it sounds confusing! I would take estrogen every day, then the progesterone is taken 2 days on and 2 days off. Feel free to contact me privately if you want specific information on doses and study information.
I was on SSRI's for 4 years successfully, then when that stopped working we tried about 5 different kinds of SSRI's along with anti-anxieties, anti-psychotics, birth contol pills, all in different combinations and doses! After 2 years of being unsuccessful with that is when I started Lupron.
I started getting symptoms about 8 months after my son was born when I was 36. I'm now 44.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register