what to wear post surgery in the hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to wear post surgery in the hospital what to wear post surgery in the hospital

Unread 10-14-2011, 07:24 PM
what to wear post surgery in the hospital

In an attempt to try and be ready for my surgery ,the minute the doctor said we are setting a date for the surgery I immediately started looking for comfortable clothes to wear post op. It's great that there are so many cute pj outfits that look like loungewear . I'm sure I'll wear some of those my first few weeks at home.

For all those gals that have already had their surgery what do you recommend we take to wear directly after surgery while still in the hospital? something like a set of lose pj's (full pant leg or capri style) or a gown? Since I don't normal wear a nightgown the first thing I thought was something loose fitting but more like lounge wear. My worry was not knowing if wearing pants even loose fitting might be irritating immediately after surgery.

I want to order my belly binder now because my surgery is about 2 weeks away. Any recommendations on what to wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Re: what to wear post surgery in the hospital

You probably won't be in the hospital 24 hours. I wasn't. I stayed in my hospital gown. Some hospital's don't want you to change. It can be difficult for them to run IV's, you may still have a catheter in, and may have compression stockings on.
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:30 PM

I just wore the hospital gowns that were provided. Take your own panties (granny style - at least one size bigger than you normally wear). I also took my own robe. The hospital slippers were just fine for me. Also, I highly recommend taking your own panty liners. The hospital pads are large - and you won't need such a large pad anymore. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM

I wore the hospital gown they provided, and once they had me up & around, I wore a lightweight knit robe over my hospital gown. I was there 2 nights, and really only felt like getting dressed just in time to head home. I wore a soft knit outfit with an elastic waist to the hospital, and wore the same outfit home. Everything I took fit in my book bag and a very small tote bag, except for my pillow, which I used in the hospital, and on my lap for the ride home so that the seat belt wouldn't push too hard on my tummy.
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:23 PM

aprilfawn,

The soft cotton hospital gowns were my choice also. I used two together. One open in the back, one open in the front, while walking the halls.
I didn't take any pj's with me just a light robe that I didn't use. I didn't want to ruin any more nice jammies...did enough of that before my hyster. A 24 hour stay doesn't leave much need for changing clothes nor does a sore tummy.

Unread 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM

I knew I was spending 4 days in the hospital so I brought a gown, pajamas and a housecoat (as well as a blow dryer, makeup, shampoo, etc). I opted for the gown on the second day after surgery and my own pads and undies. I felt more comfortable in my own clothes than with the hospital gowns. Since I am rather large chested, I also brought a sports bra. Everyone has their own preferences and you need to think about what will make you the most comfortable.
Unread 10-15-2011, 05:36 PM

I wore the hospital gowns while I was there. It was comfortable, I was too tired to change, and it's a lot easier for the nurses to do their shift assessments when you're wearing a gown. Post-op they had me in the mesh panties, but when I went home I had no problems with my normal sized bikini panties. In fact, I'm glad I had bikini cut instead of granny panties because the higher-cut ones would have rubbed on my incisions (something to consider!!!). I wore jean capris and a t-shirt to and from the hospital. Once I got home on POD2, I changed into yoga pants and lived in either those, sweat pants, or scrub pants and oversized t-shirts for the next 2 weeks. I brought a sports bra to the hospital to wear, but I didn't feel like wearing it until the day I went home, either.

Most hospitals provide grippy socks for you to wear in the hospital, over your compression stockings (if you have them), otherwise you could bring your own slippers as long as they have rubber bottoms. It's a safety thing.

Hope this helps!!
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM

I wore the hospital gowns for the 3 nights that I was in...one as a gown and the other as a robe. I brought my own pj's but never put them on. Having the hospital gown on made for easy access when the doctors and nurses had to do my examinations, and that was one less thing I had to wash when I got home.
Unread 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM

I was in the hospital for 3 nights and I wore the hospital gowns. I wore one open in the back and then one open in the front as a robe when I walked the halls. I didn't bring slippers because I knew they would provide socks with traction and I didn't really want to have my own slippers all over the hospital floors.

I was really glad I hadn't brought my own gowns when I got so nauseous and ended up throwing up on my hospital gown. The hospital gowns got dirty throughout the day and I know that I changed gowns a couple of times per day some days. They are easy to change in and out of when you are hurting. Also, the last thing I needed was to have to bring home my own dirty gowns to launder when I left the hospital.
Unread 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM

I stayed over night in hospital. For me less i took the better incase i lost stuff. Or got blood or who knows.There are women on here that take pjs but for me i stayed in hospital gown. I litterally only took tooth brush and toothpaste. I did end up showering there, so if ya want take travels size shampoos and stuff if you don't want to use their stuff. I didn't take phone or anything cuz the hospital for me was the most time i was gonna get better rest ...i have two kids at home and when home i don't tend to sleep as much.
I did wear sweats to hospital so i got right in them afterwards.
And yes loose fitting stuff is better. I am two weeks post tommarow and still in loose stuff. NICE. Good luck sweetie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register