Not hungry and LOSING weight before surgery...WORRIED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not hungry and LOSING weight before surgery...WORRIED Not hungry and LOSING weight before surgery...WORRIED

Unread 10-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Not hungry and LOSING weight before surgery...WORRIED

I am getting concerned. For about a month and a half (as SOON as my ob called me with my elevated ca125), I have lost all apetite and feel full after eating only a little. As a result, I am losing weight, and have started to feel weak, tired and shaky.
I know I am suffereing from anxiety...I take xanax everyday, which calms me down a little, but not enough to eat like I was prior to all this starting. I am happy for the weight loss (i was about 20 lb overwight). However, I dont feel physically fit right now, and am worried about how I am going to handle major surgery in this state

Has or is anyone else experiencing these wierd loss of hunger feelings? What has helped?
I just still have this bloated feeling (ct scan was normal so what is this bloating??)........I am a week away from my period, which btw, is going to coincide with my bowel prep and surgery )....so not looking forward to that.
Anyway, I keep reading posts about ladies who are eating more or at least their normal amount before surgery. I most certainly am going the opposite way.
PLEASE HELP!!!
And today is not the greatest day for me...i had a ct scan yesterday afternoon, and have had diarrhea since then due to the icky contrast. It tapered off late this am, but I am still not feeling up to par.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Re: Not hungry and LOSING weight before surgery...WORRIED

It sounds like your lack of appetite is mostly due to stress and anxiety. Perhaps speak to your doctor about this. Try to eat as nutritious foods as possible, you will need it to help heal after surgery. My appetite was a little decreased before my surgery but was non existent after surgery. I didn't care if I ate at all and DH had to keep putting food in front of me and asking me to eat. I've lost 15 lbs. My concern is if your appetite doesn't return after surgery you will be very weak and it will be harder for your body to heal.
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM

STRESS and ANXIETY...I know what you mean. I too have lost quite a bit of weight. I have been through so much these past few months and I don't have interest in food much. If you are eating and losing weight then I would be concerned, but if your appetite has decreased and you are stressed then that is why you are losing weight. I have to force myself to eat. Many have suggested vanilla milkshakes. I have been eating ice cream. Nothing really appeals to me. I just eat and try not to think about it because I really don't want it. If you have fibroids, I was told this can cause an elevated blood test. I would google it. I was told that this test was unreliable. Has anyone else heard this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2011, 06:48 PM

(((meezer1)))

Stress causes me the same symptoms--lack of appetite and a feeling of fullness and being bloating after just a couple bites. Stress can cause some gastric issues which can prevent your system from functioning well so it sends signals to tell your body not to add more food. Others have the opposite problem where their body wants more food during times of stress.

One thing my medical professionals have shared with me is that during times of appetite issues and weight loss I should try to consume liquid calories. It can be a lot easier to drink a shake as (((sistershell))) suggested or have a smoothie rather than eat something. One doctor prescribed High Protein Boost for me. A dietitian suggested adding powdered milk to anything I could, including shakes and drinks such as Carnation breakfast, as that upped my nutrition without be having to really take in more food or drink.

It is important that we get the nutrition we need, especially when dealing with a health issue, so anytime you are dealing with a lack of appetite that is leading to weight loss you need to talk to your doctor. Your doctor may have a specific plan for you to be sure you are as healthy as possible going into surgery.

in there!
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Thank you all of you guys!! Registering on this site has been the best thing I have done......No one can understand what this is truly like unless you have been through it as well.
The stress/anxiety appetite connection makes a lot of sense...I read somewhere that if you dont eat, the stomach still produces acid and this can cause indigestion and bloating because there is no food for stomach to work on.
((Weiser))......THANKYOU for those tips and suggestions. I will definitely try liquid calories to get needed nutrition....I am so stressed that I cannot think straight I plan to call my doctor on Monday and let her know about this issue.
I only have 1 tiny 2 cm fibroid...which has been very slowly increasing in size over the past 3 or so years..it is now approx 2.6 by 3.0 cm now. Not sure if this will cause elevations in ca125? I have also been told by my docs that it is a really a bad test in premenopausal women...many doctors refuse to use it for screening because of the false positives and the incredible anxiety it provokes. Still, I have started on this path, and I and my doctors have no choice but to follow it through to the end...the end being surgery. Plus with my family history, it is all the more worrisome for me.
HUGS and good health to all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register