Anesthesia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Anesthesia

Hi :
I am going under General anesthesia ,and glad of it I don't want to know any thing or hear anything till it's all over.
Best of luck to you and my prays go out to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Anesthesia

wisrapidsgal-
The only choice I had was general anesthesia. I have been reading discussions on this site for several months, and there seem to be two basic choices: general and epidural. My gyno said that epidural was not an option for me because my procedure was laparascopic, and the gas used may make it difficult for me to breath. So they wanted me under so they could help me breath during the surgery. So I was given a general anesthesia which does make me nauseous. They gave me some medication for that which really helped.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
Julie
Unread 03-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Anesthesia

I'm having general anethesia and they always give me something in my IV for nausea before surgery and after. I had an epidural once when I had surgery for kidney stones and it freaked me out. I didn't even know they were doing it and I could still feel when they gave me the shot. Ouch! But that was a whole nuther surgery. I like that I go to sleep and wake up when it's all over. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Anesthesia

Well, I'm the odd one out, lol. I have asthma, therefore I am having spinal, with light sedation and epidural pain relief. I've had problems with general anethesia (mainly breathing problems..I have a lot of allergies) and staying extra days in the hospital because of the problems. This will be the first time for spinal/epi for me and I'm kind of looking forward to not having all the anesthetic in my system for days. Isn't it great that there's a type of anesthetic for all of us?

Pam
Unread 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Anesthesia

I have no idea what the options will be. I only get to speak with the anesth. the morning of surgery. IF I get a chance to have the epidural with versed, I will go for it. BUT I think it will probably be general and I get so sick. ugh! Make sure to ask for Zofram, it helps with the nausea afterwards. Hugs Raymo
Unread 03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Spinal with Morphine

I had the cadillac of anesthesia, at least for me. After having generals, epidurals, etc...this time I spoke with the doc prior. She did a Spinal with morphine. This was all done AFTER I was knocked out via the IV. ( I was asleep the entire time. The morphine is a onetime application into the spine while you are out. I had no tubes attached after except for my IV. Pain relief lasted for several days. Did not need anything else. This is a much more efficient delivery of the morphine. I liked this way better than a morphine pump, and it doesn't make you as nutty since the morphine does not get delivered throughout your entire bloodstream. Plus, I hate actually having the epidural done. With this, I was already out cold when they did it.

I have had issues before with nausea and with reactions to the anti nausea meds too. This was a fantastic alternative for me. My Anesthesiologist was also a prior patient of my OB, so I think she really knew what she was doing.

Lots of great choices either way, don't be scared. They can also give you an Ativan for the morning of surgery if you are a true scaredy cat like me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register