Scheduled TLH Scheduled for outpatient surgery prefer 1 overnight. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for outpatient surgery prefer 1 overnight. Scheduled for outpatient surgery prefer 1 overnight.

Unread 07-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Scheduled for outpatient surgery prefer 1 overnight.

Hi Sisters,

Hope all is well with everyone. I have a question my surgery for total laparoscopic hysterectomy is schedule as outpaient and would prefer to stay one overnight. My hospital seems not to offer overnight for this type of surgery. Anyone have suggestions how I can possibly change their mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Re: Scheduled for outpatient surgery prefer 1 overnight.

I came home about 6 hours after surgery and I can say 100% I was far more comfortable here than at the hosptal. But if you throw up when you're in recovery, they can't let you leave. Just a little FYI.
Good luck!!!!
=)
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM

I stayed in the hospital 23hrs (overnight) when I had my DvH operation and it was considered an out patient procedure. You should call your Dr. with your concerns; you may be able to stay overnight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Ditto. My davinci was "outpatient" which technically means 23 hours or less. I stayed 23 hours.
Honestly, I loved their medications, but that is all I liked about being in the castle.
My Dr ordered for them to run me on an IV bag of antibiotics and monitor for infection etc over night..... SO, they put my butt in a room that was seriously 8 foot away from the nurses station. I had a fabulopus rotation of nurses watching over me, BUT they worried the total (bad word) outa me! LOL I had one nurse that was taking my temp, BP, and O2 saturation every 15-30 minutes. I had another nurse that was coming in every hour or two checking incission. Then I had the head nurse that was coming in every hour or two seeing how I felt, where my pain level was, if I needed any meds (and injecting me if I did). Then if they heard me cough, or heard me moving around, going into bathroom...they were rushing in to assist me AHHH
They had me so exhausted that I finally passed out good for a while. They came in calling my name trying to wake me to see if I needed more pain meds..... my husband told them to go away, apparently I was feeling fine, sleeping like a rock LOL Ive rested MUCH better at home
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM

I would LOVE for that to be the case for me, but I have to stay over night since my surgery isn't until 1pm. I really wanted to be in at 7:30am and be out by the evening. I hate hospitals and don't want to have to stay in one, at all. I don't have a say in it, but if you are worried, talk to your Dr about it. Or if you come out of the drugs and just aren't feeling well they will probably let you stay over night. Ask the nurses what they suggest, after all, they are the ones checking on you constantly not your Dr. Maybe they can sway him/her to let you stay.
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM

My TLH was outpatient but knew I'd sleep better at home anyway. I threw up about a half hour before being discharged (when I stood up to get dressed) but they still sent me home, so there must be different guidelines at different hospitals. Good luck!!
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Hi

I believe it also has something to do with your insurance company. My daughter-in-law works at a local hospital here, and that is what she is telling me. You could always act like you fainted, maybe THEN they would keep you overnight! Ha!
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM

If you are not happy with what is planned for you, you need to get a second opinion and check out another medical facility. You also need to check with your insurance company as yes, they could be the reason you are being scheduled as you are.

I am sure (((bluecarnation))) was only joking, but as one who did have fainting issues with recovery, I do not advocate faking this in anyway. For one, you could end up with a rather large bill because of the extra testing and monitoring required to determine why you fainted. Additionally, HysterSisters.com recommends always being very honest with your medical team so you will receive the best care.

Unread 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Yes, of course I was joking. Before my father passed away, he told me that I would run into alot of unhappy and serious situations in my life, but if I could keep my sense of humor it would get me through just about everything I had to face. Now that I'm going through just about the worse thing I've ever done, but not quite the worse, I find him to be so right. Thanks Dad.
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarnation View Post
Yes, of course I was joking. Before my father passed away, he told me that I would run into alot of unhappy and serious situations in my life, but if I could keep my sense of humor it would get me through just about everything I had to face.
Your dad is most definitely right! Great advice for all of us and that is what helped me through my long complications!

Thanks for sharing his jewels of wisdom!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register