Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo? Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

Unread 01-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcluvsme View Post
Brightteach--glad to have some company! Feel free to keep in touch as you recover! I am nervous as this is the first time I am going under. But looking forward to no more flooding! My MD told me I will still have cyclical pain but I am hoping that my cysts will not be as bad with my tubes gone. The past 2 years I have had some tubal spasms around ovulation time or just some growth of cysts about mid-cycle and so I am hoping with the tubes gone it will be less uncomfortable and painful as it can be painful. Only time will tell. I figure if the ovaries get really bad at least that is a lap procedure, but really hoping they just shut down! I know I am young for that but I have had some pretty decent hot flashes already over the past 2 years and so ready to let it go
Your surgery is Jan 7? Mine too! I'll be sure to keep in touch. Today I did grocery shopping for three weeks and make 36 breakfast tacos to freeze for my kids. I'm almost ready! Still very scared and nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you ladies! I am feeling much better now. I do not mean to downplay any conditions, my own or others but I keep reading these stories about endo and awful recoveries or at least more complex. Mine is more a lifestyle hyst I guess you would say vs. fibroid, cancer, endo, etc. The closer I get the more I realize that this is what is best for ME and that is what I have to focus on. It greatly helps to hear from others who have had a similar situation in surgery choice and recovery time. Now to relax this weekend as we continue to tidy the house which is needed in general and for my recovery. I am really hopeful to be back to work within a week of surgery, I am an instructor and my first week is just in the office. I will have a chair to sit in as needed when teaching, I can walk around, which I do normally while lecturing, and my hubby will drive me until I am cleared to drive. I truly do feel much more at peace now so I appreciate this!
I had a TAH almost 3 yrs ago for fibroids and heavy bleeding. My recovery was fairly easy and my pain was manageable. I'm not saying that I had no bad days but the good outweighed the bad by far. I was released for all activity but sex at 4 weeks, sex at 6. Each doctor's orders are different and each person is different and recovers differently and at a different rate.

My doctor didn't allow me to be a passenger in a car until week two and wasn't allowed to drive until week four. I was given a limit on the amount of steps I could climb for the first week. I made sure to walk often, drank a lot of water and ate nutritritiously. I was exhausted though. My biggest problem was an increase in libido, which drove me absolutely crazy.

Eventhough, my recovery went well, I believe planning to go back to work after one week after recovering from a TAH may be a little unrealistic and I too think that you probably should have a plan B.

You need to account for driving, will your doctor release you to drive after one week? How far do you have to walk from the parking lot to the classroom? Do you have to climb steps? Do you have to carry material and how heavy is it? Will you be able to sit the length of the class? I ask that one because, no matter how difficult or easy our recoveries are, sitting for a length of time is a problem and uncomfortable for many.

Normal recovery for a TAH is 6-8 weeks. Some are released earlier, some later. Whether you are a quick healer or not, the one thing to remember is that you only get one chance to heal right the first time. No matter how bad we want to we can't rush recovery, we shouldn't and can't because your body will heal at the right pace for you.

No one can say if you will heal at a quick rate or not, but I don't want you to go into this with unrealistic expectations. this is major surgery and it takes more out of you than you think. If your doctor releases you to work at one week, be careful and listen to your body. If s/he doesn't, respect it and be patient because it's in your own best interest.

Click on Hysterectomy Checkpoints. You'll find reasonably expectations of where you should be at each stage in your recovery.

I wish you a successful surgery and an even more successful recovery.

Unread 01-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Re: Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

Thank you ladies for all the feedback! As far as my work goes, my husband will be driving me to and from work the first few weeks. I have no desire to drive until my doctor clears me. He will also roll my bag in and out of work and the only thing I will need to handle is my laptop. If need be he will hook up for me also. I have all files I need on my computer and if needed he can help me get my power point slide printouts from my office. I teach as an instructor so at a college so a bit different then traditional 8-3 teaching at elementary or high school age. The first 8 weeks of my spring term I am teaching from 6-9:30 PM on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. I may see if my hubby can help me by recording my first few weeks of lecture and loading for my students to view on their own. I can then use class time for activities that they must be present for. If absolutely necessary I have a coworker who I know will teach in my place but I want to reserve that as much as possible. On Fridays I teach from 9-11:30. I have to be there for that one. But again I can record my lectures for them to listen to later and reserve class time for hands-on activities and cut time short these first few weeks while I recover. I am working on several angles. I just still need to talk to my boss to get the ok on some of these. Unfortunately all of this came up over our break. I will take my time, listen to my body, and be flexible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you ladies for all the feedback! As far as my work goes, my husband will be driving me to and from work the first few weeks. I have no desire to drive until my doctor clears me. He will also roll my bag in and out of work and the only thing I will need to handle is my laptop. If need be he will hook up for me also. I have all files I need on my computer and if needed he can help me get my power point slide printouts from my office. I teach as an instructor so at a college so a bit different then traditional 8-3 teaching at elementary or high school age. The first 8 weeks of my spring term I am teaching from 6-9:30 PM on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. I may see if my hubby can help me by recording my first few weeks of lecture and loading for my students to view on their own. I can then use class time for activities that they must be present for. If absolutely necessary I have a coworker who I know will teach in my place but I want to reserve that as much as possible. On Fridays I teach from 9-11:30. I have to be there for that one. But again I can record my lectures for them to listen to later and reserve class time for hands-on activities and cut time short these first few weeks while I recover. I am working on several angles. I just still need to talk to my boss to get the ok on some of these. Unfortunately all of this came up over our break. I will take my time, listen to my body, and be flexible.
I had a TAH on nov 10th and I am still not back to work for another week. I am healthy and fit, had no complications and have had an easy recovery. However, I could barely get out of bed after one week. Showering and getting dressed was a slow and exhausting process. My brain was foggy, I was sore, and it was uncomfortable to wear anything but PJs. I can't imagine that you will be able to go back to work after one week!! Not just physically, but mentally also. I am still tired and a little sore at 8 weeks out. Like you, I had did not have surgery for endo but for fibroids. I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself. You need to rest and heal slowly. I hope you will take all the time you need.
Unread 01-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Re: Has anyone had a TAH with no Endo?

I had mine for fibroid issues. I also had other repairs done. I was in the hospital for 3 days and consider my recovery uneventful. I can say there was no way I could have gone back to work that soon. I have a desk job for the most part. Went bhai back at 6 weeks and am still exhausted at the end of the day with a swollen stomach. Not saying you will be the same but please give yourself some cushion to heal. You only get one chance to heal correctly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register