Im getting way too nervous now, dont know how to deal with it, my surgery is monday! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Im getting way too nervous now, dont know how to deal with it, my surgery is monday! Im getting way too nervous now, dont know how to deal with it, my surgery is monday!

Unread 11-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Im getting way too nervous now, dont know how to deal with it, my surgery is monday!

I am so nervous now, I went to preop yesterday and told the doctor not to tell me anything about the surgery except what to know what will happen before they put me to sleep and what I will wake up with, he said an iv for sure, and i hate the ideal of an iv, but i may be able to deal with that, and I will wake up with the iv and a catheter and it will stay overnight. The catheter is the worst part!
But what scares me is being put to sleep more than anything, Ive never had an operation. I keep thinking what if i wake up during the surgery, or what if i have a nightmare and feel paralyzed to not wake up from it, or what if the surgery goes wrong and I never wake up. I was scared before but after talking to my doctor its worse because he said that there was alot of scary gruesome stuff he had to "skip over" since I requested him not to talk about it. I cried myself to sleep last night. I have been waiting over 3 months for surgery. Oh and Im having a labrascopically assisted abdominal hysterectomy taking only the uterus and possibly my left ovary. I think thats how he said it. I dont really want to cancel it and its much needed, I just need some support, some positive light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Re: Im getting way too nervous now, dont know how to deal with it, my surgery is mond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablyme View Post
I am so nervous now, I went to preop yesterday and told the doctor not to tell me anything about the surgery except what to know what will happen before they put me to sleep and what I will wake up with, he said an iv for sure, and i hate the ideal of an iv, but i may be able to deal with that, and I will wake up with the iv and a catheter and it will stay overnight. The catheter is the worst part!
But what scares me is being put to sleep more than anything, Ive never had an operation. I keep thinking what if i wake up during the surgery, or what if i have a nightmare and feel paralyzed to not wake up from it, or what if the surgery goes wrong and I never wake up. I was scared before but after talking to my doctor its worse because he said that there was alot of scary gruesome stuff he had to "skip over" since I requested him not to talk about it. I cried myself to sleep last night. I have been waiting over 3 months for surgery. Oh and Im having a labrascopically assisted abdominal hysterectomy taking only the uterus and possibly my left ovary. I think thats how he said it. I dont really want to cancel it and its much needed, I just need some support, some positive light.
It is ok to be scared but all in all the waiting is the worest. I had my TVH on Oct. 5, 2011. It was not bad and the catheter is put in after you are a sleep at least it was on me on all my surgery that I have had. You will feel a lot better once it is done with. I had heavy periods and cramps that would keep me in so much pain that I had to use a heating pad to help control them. You will come though with flying colors. The only thing that I do remember right before surgery was going into the OR that it was clod in there and they said something about having a party. I don't remember anything after that. I will say prayers for you. Tell your self in the long run it will help you. The waiting is the worest don't give up nowwhen you are so close to the end.
Unread 11-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Re: Im getting way too nervous now, dont know how to deal with it, my surgery is mond

I haven't had my hyst yet (it's on Thursday!), but I understand your concern about the anesthesia. Several years ago, I had a quick procedure done to remove a kidney stone and I was TOTALLY freaked out about that part. A good friend of mine explained to me that I would fall asleep quickly and easily and that when I woke up, I would fall in love a little bit with my recovery nurse, who would give me juice and warm blankets. "It's like kindergarten, but with drugs!"

And, you know, she was right! It was fine, I was fine, and I'm not worried about that part at all this time!

Hang in there--and keep talking here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks I really appreciate the replies. This site has been so helpful. Still nervous nonetheless. Well frightened really. One more question, my doctor didnt order me to do a bowel cleanse, would they want to do an enema? I know thats something I wont let them do. And they would just have to cancel or reschedule because my doctor did not tell me anything about that. But I was thinking is that a possibility if no bowel prep is ordered?
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:39 AM

I understand your nervousness COMPLETELY!! My surgery is scheduled for Monday as well (11/14)...I've been freaking for weeks now and this last couple of weeks has been the worst, with me imagining all kinds of horrible and morbid things. I just have to try really hard to drive those thoughts out of my head with positive ones. Hearing all the POSITIVE stories here on this site has helped tremendously, along with talking with a friend who went through the same procedure by the same dr. at the same hospital as what I'll be experiencing!

I understand your concern about the anesthesia. I've been "put under" twice via general anesthesia and once via intravenous method (for wisdom tooth removal.) I know there's always a risk, BUT, my experiences have always been positive. My last surgery was a tubal ligation back in 1999 performed by the same dr. who is going to be doing my partial hysterectomy (sorry, don't know all the abbreviations here that folks use...I'm having an abdominal surgical hysterectomy due to a large fibroid...the plan is to remove the uterus and fibroid, leaving ovaries and cervix intact unless something suspicious is seen.) When I had my tubal, I received a pre-op shot to relax me...that nearly put me out 100%! lol! I know I was catheterized, but that was done after I was out. I remember (vaguely) being placed on a gurney and having a very nice warm blankie put over me (gosh, it felt soooo good!) and then being wheeled to the OR...slid onto the operating table and then having the anesthesiologist place the gas mask over my face and telling me to count backwards from 100. I think I made it to 98 or 97! lol! The next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery.

I know there are all kinds of horror stories out there and if we focus on them, we will definitely drive ourselves crazy. As it is, we're planning on having this and I honestly think that thinking positively will help us through everything, including our healing process. Try to breathe and every time you have a negative thought or worry, try very hard to think something positive to counter that negative thought. At least that's what I'm trying to do...as well as to practice some relaxation, through peaceful music, meditation, and yoga...and I'm still working out while I can. Good luck to you fashionablyme...it will ALL be okay! Keep us posted on your progress and see you in the "post-op" forum afterward!
Unread 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM

I'm going to have a davinchi with bso on monday the 14 also! Please try to relax! I've had 4 other surgeries and it is really easy. The drs and nurses are soo kind. They will walk you through everything step by step. They will give you something to relax you before you go to sleep that helps A LOT! when you wake up it's all over and you will be on pain meds . I'm only staying overnight. I actually wish it was longer because they really take good care of you. Just focus on the positives and take deep breaths . Sometimes I think the worst part is the waiting, not the surgery! hugs
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM

I had no bowel prep or diet restrictions prior to surgery. Just nothing to eat or drink past midnight. And I didn't have an enema either. Some doctors don't require a bowel prep and it also depends on the type of surgery you have. I was petrified and cried a lot. I cried when they put the IV in, I cried while the anesthetist spoke with me and I cried when they wheeled me into OR. It's very scary but try not to worry. They will take good care of you and you'll be asleep before you even realize you're about to be put under. They will put the catheter in after you're asleep and you'll be glad it's in for that first night. You will be too drugged and weak to get up to go to the bathroom. When they take it out the next morning it pulls out so quick it doesn't hurt. Try to keep busy and put your mind on productive things. Best wishes to you.
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablyme View Post
Thanks I really appreciate the replies. This site has been so helpful. Still nervous nonetheless. Well frightened really. One more question, my doctor didnt order me to do a bowel cleanse, would they want to do an enema? I know thats something I wont let them do. And they would just have to cancel or reschedule because my doctor did not tell me anything about that. But I was thinking is that a possibility if no bowel prep is ordered?
I didn't have a bowel prep, either. When I got to the hospital, they took me to my pre-op "holding room", which didn't have extra room in it at all. Just a bed, a stand for IVs, a chair, and a TV mounted on the wall! On the bed, there was a large gown, a pair of non-skid slipper socks (they didn't let me wear my own slippers for liability reasons), a betadyne douche, and two enemas. I was supposed to do the douche and then give myself the enemas.

My guess is that if you do have an enema, you'll be doing it yourself. But you know, if they decide they want to do it -- it really won't be bad. You just lose all shame in the hospital. They've seen it all before, and they really do handle you with dignity.

When they took me from this room to the pre-op holding area, they gave me warm blankets -- which felt wonderful. Then a woman came and said she was going to shave me. I was not prepared for this! However, the procedure was done with great modesty and the warm water and fragrant shaving lotion she used was very relaxing. I just sort of "let it happen" and it was all fine.

Of course, no one here can tell you that you won't have any problems. Difficulties can and do crop up. You may have issues before and after your surgery. This is how I dealt with it:

I "futurized" the event. Instead of worrying about how I'd feel when I woke up from surgery (which I couldn't control, anyway) I told myself, "Wow -- three days from now, I'll be done with my surgery." Instead of worrying about how long it would be before I had a bowel movement (again, not much you can do about this one other than take care of yourself and drink lots of water!) I said, "In three weeks, I'll probably be able to drive again!"

I have never liked being put to sleep, and I don't think it's top of anyone's list of things to do. This is what happened to me: I was sort of hoping that, like other (((sisters))), the nurses would give me a little pre-op "cocktail" of some valium.... No such luck. All I got was regular fluid and electrolytes. I hadn't been very nervous, but when they started wheeling me to the operating room, the nerves really kicked into high gear!

When we got into the operating room, the anesthesiologist (geez, that's a long word! Did I spell it right? ) was very wonderful and very funny. I remember telling him, "I am going to be VERY disappointed if I don't wake up from this!" Without skipping a beat, he replied, "Now, what kind of job security would I have if that happened?" After just a few minutes, he said he was going to administer the "I don't care" drug into my IV. He did tell me when it was happening. And he was right -- I did not care! Then they just told me to breathe deeply. They did not put a mask over my face (which I was expecting from when I was a kid and had a couple of operations). The next thing I remember, I was waking up in recovery.

They put the catheter into me after I was asleep, and honestly I could not feel it.

Until your surgery, maybe try some distraction techniques. This weekend is a great time to watch the funniest movies/TV shows you have access to. After all, belly laughs may be uncomfortable for a while! Go to the mall and do some last-minute shopping for your pampering at home after surgery... Maybe get yourself a comfy pair of slippers or some of your favorite coffee or tea to enjoy while you're recovering. Do something just for you!

to you as you prepare.
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the support, really. It means so much. I have a new dilemna though, I drank a whole bottle of magnesium citrate today and the doctor didnt order for me to do that. My surgery is in 3 days. Will it be ok? I just know that everyone says you will be constipated for a long time after surgery and I dont want to go in constipated already only to be that way even longer. Its 3 days away though and other people drink it? It also says on the bottle it is for people facing surgery, so surely it has to be safe. But now Ive been reading awful things about people who do that without doctor orders, and then I read about people who did the same thing I did with no problems...
Unread 11-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Id just mention it to your dr when you do see him/ her. It really shouldn't be a problem - some drs require it. Don't do anything else without drs orders though! Just relax, everything's going to be fine. It will be over before you know it! And think happy thoughts hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register