Anyone Had A Endometrial Biopsy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone Had A Endometrial Biopsy? Anyone Had A Endometrial Biopsy?

Unread 01-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Anyone Had A Endometrial Biopsy?

I'm up for my hyst in 30 days and 3 days before I'm schuduled for a endometrial biopsy. I haven't been told to much about it, but I have looked it up on the net. Has anyone had one and willing to tell me about it? I've heard to take something a little stronger than a Tylonol, the cramping and biopsy itself is painful. Any help would be great.
Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 07:55 AM

Hi Melissa,

I have had too many endo biobsies to count. I have had them with and without anything for pain. Here is what worked the best for me.

I took 2 motrin 2 hours before my appointment. Motrin takes a while to get the full affect from it. It lasts, for me for about 5 hours.

Without the motrin, I experienced some heavy painful cramping. With the motrin it just felt like a pinch. I drove myself home after each time, although without the motrin the Dr made me wait until the cramping stopped.

S,
Kay
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:00 AM

I had this done too. I was told to take ibuprophen 1 hour before.

It wasn't very painful for me. When he collected the specimens I had what I would call a uterine contraction. That was about it. I didn't experience any pain afterward, just a little bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 08:26 AM

I had one done but wasn't scheduled for it until I was in my gynecologist's office and was told that I was getting one immediately. Since I didn't know anything about it and didn't have a chance to take any pain killer, I thought that it hurt quite a bit and I had pain for a couple of hours after. To be on the safe side, I would take something stronger than Tylenol. Good luck....Frenchie
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:37 AM

I have had them done before, and I found the pain was no worse than the monthly cramps I went through. I just took my usual pain meds. I had a little spotting the day of, and like Frenchie, I had no warning, the gyn decided during the appt. You will be fine.
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:11 AM

Same with me - I took Advil before the appointmet and I even took a Xanax because I was so freaked out. I was surprised when she said it was over - I hardly felt anything - and I'm a big, big baby!

Good luck!
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:38 AM

I had one 2 wks ago. The doctor called in valium for me prior to the procedure, so I was completely at ease which I think helped alot. I was also given pain meds about an hour before the procedure, so I didn't experience any pain at all during the procedure, felt like a pap. I felt crampy for the following day and had light bleeding. Please know that you can request your doctor for pain meds to be given prior to the procedure and even a nerve relaxer as I did, and I strongly recommend it. But, be sure to arrange that in advance.

The bad expereriences I've heard about have all been from women who were given nothing for the procedure, or were surprised with it at a normal appointment. My doctor tried that, but I had already heard bad experiences from friends that had gone through so I didn't accept the "oh by the way, we're going to perform an EB today". I simply replied that I would rather schedule the procedure for another appt. so that I could be given pain meds prior.

It's my own personal opinion and I love my dr, but I think it's mean of doctors to spring that on patients as if it's no big deal when they did not have the opportunity to take something prior to the procedure. Hope all goes well for you.

Best to you,
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:51 AM

Hello Mel888,

My doctor got me a prescription of Ibupro 800 mg, this really helped me with the pain. Just to describe the pain I had w/taking prescription was small ,very small cramping that lasted for about two days and the prescription really helped.
deedee42
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:55 AM

I took 3 advil, 2 tylenol, and 1 ultram(50mg). I was very worked up before hand and was relieved when it only took less than a minute to perform!I was already bleeding and cramping before I went in and the pain wasn't much worse than the cramps I were already having. I did notice quite a bit of tenderness that evening and the next day.
This is your body, not the dr's, please ask for something before the procedure if you are sensitive to pain(I am a wimp!!). I felt a bit dizzy afterwards because I was so worked up before I even got to the appt. Everybody id different, good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 01-31-2006, 12:14 PM

I had one done in the dr's office on short notice. If you can get something in advance for pain, it might help alot. Depending on how difficult it is to get the biopsy (cause of your body), the pain can be pretty bad when it is being done. Doesn't last too long, but bad. I had discomfort for a couple of days following it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register