Recovery Time for Laparoscopy, D&C, biopsy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Time for Laparoscopy, D&C, biopsy? Recovery Time for Laparoscopy, D&C, biopsy?

Unread 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Recovery Time for Laparoscopy, D&C, biopsy?

I've been having serious pre-menopausal bleeding issues, cramping, spotting, pelvic pain, etc. for almost three months. Got a second opinion and this gyne recommends doing a laproscopy, uterine biopsy, and D&C all at once. Has anyone been through these procedures all at once? What kind of recovery time am I looking at? Any sort of advice or been there done that that might be helpful? I am feeling very nervous - I had a laparscopy 17 years ago and the recovery was rough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Re: Recovery Time for Lapro, D&C, biopsy?

I am sorry to hear you are having these issues! I've had 2 laps over the past few years, one with an ablation and another where a cyst and both of my Fallopian tubes were removed. I'm not sure if a biopsy was done along with either, I had one prior with a D&C and polypectomy though. Most people I know had a pretty routine recovery with not a lot of downtime. I did not, for any of my 3 operations. I'm not trying to scare you, I just know that I would have liked to know it was a possibility going into it. Every time I went in for surgery, my doctor told me a day or 2 and I should be fine. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me when this is not how it played out.

I truly hope that this is not the case for you, and you have a quick recovery with as little pain as possible. If you do not, however, take care of yourself! Take your pain meds on schedule, at least for the first day. I am not a fan of the narcotic pain meds make me feel and tried the first time to wait until the pain was bad, and by that time they were not as effective. Perhaps a bit of TMI, but if you do need narco pain meds for a few days, know that they can cause terrible constipation. I also found this out the hard way. Lots of fluids and a stool softener are helpful. And most of all, take it easy if you need to. Even if everyone thinks you should be all better by a certain point, rest if you need to. Listen to your body. I was up and about a bit a few days after my cyst removal, but my husband took a week off from work (after seeing how I felt after the first 2 procedures) and I took advantage of it. My house was a little messy by the time I was back to normal, but I had the energy to take care of it all after my "hiatus". Again, not trying to be a "Debbie Downer", just being honest. I hope that all goes well for you, best wishes

Danielle
Unread 01-31-2015, 02:38 AM

I had the same procedure done recently and had about two days of discomfort from the gas, and maybe an extra day or two of general tiredness but was good as gold after that good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2015, 12:59 PM

Thanks ladies!

I had my procedure on Tuesday, and everything went well. Still waiting on biopsy results (I hate the waiting!), but overall I think this was much easier than I anticipated.

Four days out, and my incisions aren't bothering me much, but now I am having painful cramping - from the D&C I'm assuming. I have a prescription for Percocet, and I've taken a few each day, but I wonder if I should still be needing pain meds this far out? Right now I'm trying to et through with Motrin instead, but I'm still uncomfortable.

Is it normal to be taking pain meds this far out from lap, D&C, hysterscopy?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register