too early to be alone?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

too early to be alone?? too early to be alone??

Unread 10-31-2004, 07:22 PM
too early to be alone??

Hello to all! I have a question that I need answered, because I am worried sick about it.
I am having an abdominal Hyst. on the 8th of November. My Husband is leaving Town two weeks afterwards with his job about 250 miles away from me. I will be left alone, as I have no Family here to speak of that can help me out with things, like driving, housework, feeding our Livestock, ect.
Should I have someone here with me, this soon after Surgery, or will I be o.k. by myself? He will be gone for 15 days, so I will have to do everything for myself.
Any replies would be really appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
too early to be alone??

Hello and

We're happy you joined the Hyster Sisters community! Please be sure to take time to read our Pre-Op and Post-Op articles, which will be very helpful to you as you prepare for your Castle adventure!

You will not be able to feed your livestock and do farm chores at two weeks post-op. Don't entertain the thought for even a minute. Most doctors do not release their patients to work until 6 weeks after their operation. You will need to arrange help to come in and do the work until your husband returns.

Even when your husband returns, you will need to take it easy for a couple more weeks. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's the way it is with major abdominal surgery.

Many s and Best Wishes to You!
Unread 10-31-2004, 07:44 PM
too early to be alone??

I'm having my surgery on the 8th too! It seems so close now.

I would think you could do most things for yourself after two weeks, but I don't know about feeding the livestock. That would depend on how many you have and what you're feeding them. I only have a few animals left, and since they graze and only get a few pellets as a supplement it's no big deal for me. If you've got a lot of animals and you're feeding hay. . . this could be a problem. If I were you I'd start looking for someone to come in each day to feed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2004, 08:36 PM
too early to be alone??

Are you involved with any groups or organizations in your community? You might ask someone from there to just check in, or invite them over for dinner before your surgery (if you have that kind of time/relationship) and let them know what's going on.

Also, if (heaven forbid) you need more support than that, your community might have a visiting nurse or visiting angel organization that could come in and help a little bit..

good luck and keep posting. There's a wealth of info on these boards!!!
Unread 10-31-2004, 11:32 PM
too early to be alone??

Two weeks after my tah/bso I was able to do most things by myself such as shopping, cooking, and light housekeeping. Everyone one is different though, so I wouldn't base my decision on whether to get extra help based on anectdotal evidence.

It sounds like you live in a rural area. Is there a local high school 4-H club supervisor that you can talk to about having some students come over to help out with caring for your livestock?

I hope everything works out for you and you have a very successful surgery and recovery.

-nmil
Unread 10-31-2004, 11:49 PM
too early to be alone??

Like the other sisters I think you will be fine fending for yourself, but the livestock, probably not.
Could you contact the local Uni (do you call them college?) there is usually an employment service for students who are always desperate for work to pay for their studies.

Good luck!
Unread 10-31-2004, 11:51 PM
too early to be alone??

I can only speak from my past experience. I have had a major abdominal surgery before that required a 6 - 8 week recovery (long incision...lots of work done inside). I was 19 at the time and even with my young body, I needed the 6 - 8 weeks to recover. Everyone's recovery is different. But I agree with the first gal who posted. At two weeks you can probably expect to be doing the minimum...going to the bathroom, showering, going to the kitchen to grab a bite to eat and doing a bit of straightening (no bending or lifting). So, I would say that work around the house or with your livestock is not a good idea. You need to just take care of yourself. A abdominal surgery like the one that you will have requires a 6 - 8 week recovery. At two weeks, you will be only 1/4 through. For sure, I would have someone come to take care of the livestock while your husband is away...you will not be able to carry buckets of feed or anything like that without straining. God bless.
Unread 11-01-2004, 06:47 AM
too early to be alone??

Hello. I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and recovery! Just in my own experience, I would arrange for someone to be there with you. I had a FAH 3 1/2 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks, I very much enjoyed my husband's assistance. It was really rough getting up and down on my own. The 2nd night after surgery, I was home and feeling pretty well. I told my husband to sleep in our bedroom and I would be fine on the couch. Boy was that a mistake! I woke up around 1:00 a.m. and was in severe pain! I had to get up on my own, go to the bathroom, and take pain pills. That wore me out, and kept me up the rest of the night. I just kept thinking "boy, if my husband was up helping me" as I cried all night in misery! Needless to say, he woke up at 5 a.m. and yelled at me for not waking him up to help me out. Well, the next 4-5 nights, he slept by my side and we set the alarm for my pain medicine! : )
Again, good luck and take care of yourself!
Unread 11-01-2004, 06:53 AM
too early to be alone??

I think you will be just fine..im two weeks post op after TAH BSO with a partial bowel reduction due to severe endo....Im now alone all day with no problems...I suggest you have food ready to heat up and maybe a friend stop over occasionally but you should be much more comfortable after 2 weeks... GOOD LUCK>>
Unread 11-01-2004, 07:31 AM
too early to be alone??

Thanks to all who have posted a reply to me! I feel more comfortable now with the thought of being left alone.
I guess that I have probably blown this out of proportion with my Husband, but then again I have been on this hormonal roller-coaster for the past few months. Poor man, he has really been great and supportive to me, but it seems that the slightest thing that he says, that leaves any doubt about anything, sends me into this emotional whirl-wind that literally shuts me down.
Again, THANK YOU for all your kind words and support!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register