finally got surgery date-questions about cervix? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

finally got surgery date-questions about cervix? finally got surgery date-questions about cervix?

Unread 04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Re: finally got surgery date-questions about cervix?

I just wanted to say hi and welcome! It looks like you and I are having our surgeries very close together..

As for the cervix, I am leaning towards keeping mine because the majority of my problems are internal and I would like to have it for sexual reasons. However, if my doctor finds a medical reason to remove it during surgery then he has my permission to make that call. I have only had one abnormal Pap followed by a coloposcopy so I am hoping to keep as many "healthy" parts as possible like pp's.

I am happy to hear you are having "normal" days! I am still struggling with my decision and the thought of surgery. I know I will make peace with the decision, it is just going to take me a little longer. Having my period this week (the worst since having kids) really hasn't helped emotionally, either.

Welcome again, these ladies are a wonderful support!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2010, 11:38 PM

I made another appt to specifically talk to my dr about my decision to keep or not to keep.
I asked him what he thought and he said since I have no reason to get rid of it he prefers to leave it because of prolapse. He said it could be okay for a while but when I get older (or anytime really) my bladder could fall and cause prolapse.
I also taked to him about mini-periods. So he said that he will cut the top of the cervix like a V (I'm having abdominal) and get all the unterine tissue (which is what will cause mini-p's). He did say that he is still going to try to save my ovary but if he can't I will be on HRT.
Anyways, I was under the impression if I didn't have any ovaries (which I only have 1 now and having the same issue as with the last one) that I wouldn't have any mini-p's. But he said that being on HRT there is still a chance. But I think that I can deal with wearing a liner for a day or so if need be if it means more support for my bladder and bowels.

Now to add to this, I called one of my best friends mom's after I got home (been meaning to, but kept forgetting) because she has had a hyster. I asked if she kept anything and she said no, they took it all, they had to. I told her what my dr said about the prolapse and yep, she has that. She said she can feel her bladder when she wipes! She had her hyster 20yrs ago (shes 67 now) and said its been a problem for quite a few years now.
I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but my dr has been an ob/gyn for over 30yrs and he said he really would prefer for me to keep it based on what he's seen and learned.
I didn't ask about recovery time either way, but I have heard that keeping it is a little easier. Don't see why though.
I also have heard it helps with vaginal moisture and lubrication, but forgot to ask him about that.

But all I really needed to hear was what my dr said to convince me to keep it. I really didn't want to but I read tons of posts here, read articles online, wrote down questions for my dr, talked to him, talked to someone I personally know without theres, and now I'm keeping it. I was on the fence the whole time though up until now.
I feel good about my choice. I know I have heard a lot of people say that once its gone its gone. If it doesn't work out it can always be removed. I realize thats another surgery, but at least I would have tried it first. I think it will work out though. I have normal paps so I really don't have a medical reason to take it.

My day is this tues the 6th. I think I'm all ready to go. Still a little nervous and anxious, but ready. Good luck on your decision!

Jess
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:51 AM

jessberr31 - sounds like you got all the facts as they relate to you and your situation and you have made the right choice for you and that is wonderful!

hang in there, the emotional thing may get a little out of control as you get closer to your big day, but know that we are here for you if you need us!

best wishes to all the in waiting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Just a couple quick comments. The cervix is not a separate organ, but rather the neck of the uterus. Thus, some of the conditions leading to a hysterectomy can affect the entire uterus. For instance, fibroids can grow on the cervix, even post partial hysterectomy.

As far as prolapse issues, surgeons generally "tack" everything in place to prevent any future prolapse issues and genetics can actually play a big role in who will deal with prolapse and who will not.

As far as intercourse, some women will have issues even if they keep their cervix. Some of the problems with intercourse post hysterectomy relate to hormonal issues rather than physical ones.

When I had my hysterectomy, my entire uterus was removed as the endometriosis was affecting all of it. I haven't missed it in the slightest and at almost 10 years post op, I have absolutely no sign of prolapse of anything. (My mother is over 20 years post op from a TVH and she has no sign of prolapse either.) Sex has been just fine.

The topic of removing the cervix can be a very controversial one and a very personal one. Not all of us have a choice but for those who do, it can be an agonizing decision! If you have not had a second opinion, having one could help you make the best decision for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register