Pre-op Indignations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op Indignations Pre-op Indignations

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Pre-op Indignations

I had my pre-op appointment today (met with my doctor's nurse, not with him -- is that weird?) & she told me they will be giving me an enema, a douche (she commented since they are taking it out she's not sure either why they want to clean it), I'll have a catheter in, they'll shave me (again--it's just past the itchy stage from the D&C). I'm a pretty modest person & I'm afraid this will just set me into bawling again (I don't even take x-lax, let alone any of that other stuff). Are these things common? I don't remember reading about them. What other indignations will I be facing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Pre-op Indignations

Hi Jeandre,

As I'm sure you've seen here, everyone's experience varies somewhat. In my case, for example, I didn't have an actual pre-op appointment. I went for crossmatching a few days before admission, and then my doctor and the anesthesiologist both visited me in my hospital room for a little chat just prior to the surgery. At that point, it had been a month since I'd seen my doctor. Another difference is that I didn't have any kind of bowel prep. (I know, lucky me!!)

I can, however, address the catheter and the shaving...

The little bit of shaving that was done for my TAH was done in the operating room, after I was asleep. And, of course, the catheter was put in while I was asleep, as well. The catheter removal, in my case, at least, was really no big deal. The nurse talked me through what she was doing in the brief time it took for her to do it. The only thing she told me to expect to feel was a little pull when she actually pulled it out. It felt, to me, a lot like removing a tampon, with no pain at all. While having the catheter in place didn't really cause me any discomfort, either, I was happy to have it out!

As far as other indignation, just try to keep in mind that nurses do all that sort of stuff all the time. I think I'm a pretty modest person, as well, but I found I was more grateful to them for tending to my needs than I was embarrassed.

I see your surgery is on Friday. Keep in mind that all of your concerns and emotions are NORMAL, okay?

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Pre-op Indignations

That all sounds pretty normal to me. They catheterized me, shaved me, & probably did an antiseptic douche after I was asleep. I did the enema myself the night before. It was no big deal.

You could always request that they do those things after you're put out, or ask if that's their standard thing. I got shaved for a laparoscopy once while awake and it wasn't much fun. But I survived!

Good luck! You're almost there!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 05:43 AM
Pre-op Indignations

Jeandre;

I was lucky too - no douches, no enemas, and they put the catheter in while I was asleep. Same as Kokopelli, it was no big deal getting it out - no pain or discomfort.

The little bit of shaving they did was just a little bit right along the top which would be near the incision - and they did that in the pre-op room right before surgery, and after I'd had a little something in my IV prior to surgery. I'm somewhat embarassed to say that I had a giggling spell, because it tickled more than anything, and I think my brain was already a little "loose" from whatever they'd given me. The nurse was laughing at me giggling because of the tickling - I guess I can say I wasn't stressed about it at all.

Debbie
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:10 AM
Pre-op Indignations

I went yesterday for pre-op with my doctor.Hosp. will call 1 week ahead for blood work pre-op.
We went over what is to be done , how long it will take, and all those things. And of course the risks.
All I know ladies---------NO ENEMA!!!!!!
He tried to call the hosp. for surgery time --but the lady had left already? :cry:
I just told him to PLEASE try for early, if I have to go till the afternoon I would die in worry and waiting. Plus nothing to eat or drink.
If surgery is late, do they allow you do chew ice chips????
And yes I was told my friend the cath. will go home with me.
Doc said 2-3 days in the castle-----basically no passing -----no going home--is that true also????
Sorry if I seem to be babbling ladies---just very curious.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register