3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds 3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds

Unread 11-07-2007, 12:03 AM
3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrytoomuch
No toughing it out for me anymore. I have nothing to prove. I've done that too many times--especially with natural child birth, which was really stupid and most likely contributed to my prolapse condition in the first place
Prolapse is what started this whole thing for me, too. I'm 55 and had one big child with a long, difficult labor 38 years ago. About 3 years ago I noticed I was having difficulty with the way my BMs acted... it wasn't until 2 months ago, I was showering and noticed my cervix was at my opening!! That's when I hopped on the internet and learned about the BM problem, where you have to put a finger in your opening to press against the vault so the material moves over into it's proper position. I guess everyone is embarrassed to ever talk about it as I never heard of it in my life. But it's very common, and what is interesting is how we figure out how to do it by instinct! It's all a big secret, this prolapse thing. I hope it becomes more talked about so other women don't have to freak out when it happens.

My gyno surgeon is outstanding and did a complete repair of my entire pelvic area... and I'm now able to go to the bathroom like I did when I was young, and my stomach is getting flatter every week!! I love that! All this time I just thought I had a big ol' gut, and here it was this enlarged uterus and big tumor. Sheesh. I honestly never knew. I am beginning to feel good, too. One day we're skipping rope, next day we've got a prolapse. hahahaa. It cracks me up to look in the mirror and see my grandma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM

I had a TAH/BSO on the 11th of Oct, with very extensive adhesions and a very nasty surgery. I am still taking 600 mg ibuprofen about twice a day (if I start hurting, and always before I go out), and usually a Percocet in the evening, sometime between dinner and bedtime. I get achy, sore, and swelly as the day wears on. I will probably ask for another Percocet prescription when I have my checkup, so that I have it on hand when I return to work. If I am sore in the evening now, I can imagine it won't be substantially better when I return to a full routine.
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM

I survived the night and so far don't have any pain. I don't feel as groggy and am trying to just sit here ))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Tonikat...

Congratulations on surviving your first night without "round the clock meds"!!

The mornings are the most "pain free" time I have.... guess because I've been lying down for about 8 hours and my body is rested... However, by noon or so, if I'm up and about at all, I start to feel the twinges of "pain"... that's when I take something "over the counter".
If I don't, then late afternoon is very uncomfortable and evening would be even worse. And I always take something after supper / before bed.... and it seems to work out just right for now.

Hang in there and just do what you feel you need to.... see how you do.... and certainly take something at the first sign of pain.

My best to you as you continue to recover.

Take care...

Dinkum
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkum

The mornings are the most "pain free" time I have.... guess because I've been lying down for about 8 hours and my body is rested... However, by noon or so, if I'm up and about at all, I start to feel the twinges of "pain"... that's when I take something "over the counter".
If I don't, then late afternoon is very uncomfortable and evening would be even worse. And I always take something after supper / before bed.... and it seems to work out just right for now.
Thanks for the congrats and also some signs to be aware of. I think we are all naturally so used to "working through the pain" that we forget that we need to make sure we are comfortable too.
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the response bobbygigi! I have found it absolutely amazing how MANY crazy conditions we (as women) really have to deal with. I didn't even know what a prolapse was until I was told my uterus was falling out--hah! That was a shocker!! Then I read all of the reasons why and it made sense to me (natural, LONG child births, chronic constipation when young, lots of heavy lifting, etc....). Of course, I did all of these things--including heavy weight lifting in my twenties/thirties--who knew?

When I was young, nobody ever told me what we would/could be dealing with as we got older. It's almost like the big dark secret amongst women!! That needs to change.

I suppose it would be scary to some young women, but I could have avoided years of pain if only I knew better...my daughter sure knows better--she's 16 and I've really tried to educate her about all of the things she will face with her body. I think it's really the one most inportant thing a mother can give to a daughter or sister. My mother was never educated about any of this and never really talked about it.

The femal body is soooooo complex. Most men really have no idea how complicated all of this really is--they think it's all in our heads! Can you imagine if they had to go through any of this???
Unread 11-07-2007, 04:44 PM

I understand your concern about Motrin and stomach issues. After about 3 days of taking an 800mg Motrin 1X morning and 1X night I switched to Alleve. After a week, I found that the stomach pain (even with my prescription Aciphex) was worse than the surgery pain. In the past, Tylenol has not worked on any pain that I've experienced so I totally dismissed it as being worth a try. My husband persuaded me that I had nothing to lose, so I tried the OTC 8hr Tylenol and found that it actually controlled my pain BETTER than the 800mg Motrin. I now take 2 caplets in the morning and 2 before bed. I'm 4 weeks out from a LAVH.
Rose
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose.addie
I understand your concern about Motrin and stomach issues. After about 3 days of taking an 800mg Motrin 1X morning and 1X night I switched to Alleve. After a week, I found that the stomach pain (even with my prescription Aciphex) was worse than the surgery pain. In the past, Tylenol has not worked on any pain that I've experienced so I totally dismissed it as being worth a try. My husband persuaded me that I had nothing to lose, so I tried the OTC 8hr Tylenol and found that it actually controlled my pain BETTER than the 800mg Motrin. I now take 2 caplets in the morning and 2 before bed. I'm 4 weeks out from a LAVH.
Rose
Thanks! I appreciate hearing about that. I haven't so far needed anything. Even the soreness that I was afraid of isn't really bad. I almost don't feel it. I think that we are a special breed in that we have had to endure so much pain during our pre-hysterectomy days that we have a tolerance to pain that is higher than other people experience. I will keep some Tylenol handy. Thanks again!
Unread 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Follow-up...I'm on my 3rd day with no meds and doing fine. I have the same soreness that I had with the meds. I'm not dummy though. I have them all close at hand and I got some Tylenol to help out just in case. The Motrin is just making me leery...

Thanks for your help and support
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:25 PM

the last time i took medication stronger than advil was in the recovery room. i guess i'm lucky. i am 41 and was in good shape before the surgery. i have twinges of pain if i try to do too much or move a certain way, but not enough pain to take the percoset my dr prescribed. i mostly take the motrin for the swelly belly. i am 16 days post -op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register