1 day to go and thinking "irrationally" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 day to go and thinking "irrationally" 1 day to go and thinking "irrationally"

Unread 10-10-2000, 06:21 AM
1 day to go and thinking "irrationally"

This is probably going to be a lengthy post so bare with me.
I have been battling with horrendous periods for 9 years now. I get anemic every month because of the blood I lose (I can't believe someone could bleed so much and be conscious, lol). I get back cramps so bad, they pull my back out of place.
I have had the gamet of tests and procedures and drugs to try and stop it, with still no relief. There are 2 small fibroids they see on the ultrasound. At one time lining of the uterus was thick, but I had D&E and that was corrected. Hysteroscopy last year wound up removing loads of polyps in the uterus. No endo last year, or on the ultrasound in July. Went "the pill" route, 3 months on one off, with the month off being worse than if I would have had my period every month inbetween.
Second opinion DR. wanted me to take progesterone and water pills, said I was too young for hysterectomy. Went back to my DR. crying, and she agreed to do the surgery.
Second opinion Dr. also checked my thyroid, etc. to make sure bleeding wasn't coming from any other condition. All bloodwork turned up normal.
My life changes as well as my personality every time I get my period and now we are getting it every 3 wks., which 2nd opinion Dr. says is still considered normal.
Now here's the irrational part. I want this surgery, but I am starting to fear that Dr. will get in there and end up telling me she took out healthy uterus (I know how can that be, all this has to be coming from something). Don't get me wrong, I am not worried that I will be losing a healthy organ, I am worried that I will look like I have been lying, and I am not.
I have a good job that I worked hard to get (mans job). They don't understand that I take off every 3 wks. for a day or two cuz of my period. (there is no way I can work, I have to lift, and you know what happens then when you bleed heavy. Plus, I don't have the opportunity to go to the bathroom any time I need to because I work on a moving assembly line). I have already been written up for my attendance, even though I have had an excuse from the Dr. I realize legally they can't do anything, but these are still part of my personnel file and will affect promotions and such.
Okay, I guess I am just venting. I have to believe that there must be something they are going to find when they go in. NO ONE bleeds like this when there is nothing wrong inside.
Thanks for reading.

[Edited by kat2u on 10-10-2000]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2000, 07:21 AM

No- I know exactly what you are saying - they will open you up and say - I've seen worse WHAT was she whining about ?? Am I right ? I've decided that I don't have to explain myself and *I* know it was bad enough.

I've run through EVERY scenario - twice.

I'm going tomorrow too... I'm sorry - I'm just SO blinded by the princess crown that I can't see anything else ;-)

Are you all packed and ready to go ? Bowel prep where you can find it ? Huh ? C'mon today is the day before the first day of the rest of your life !
Unread 10-10-2000, 10:17 AM
Don't worry

Your fears aren't irrational. You would NOT be suffering as you've been unless something is wrong--even a hypochrondriac cannot create heavy bleeding without a cause. Your symptoms sound amazingly like my own for the past several years. I too underwent various D&Cs, cyrosurgery, etc., in an attempt to cure the condition without resorting to hysterectomy.

I had my vaginal hysterectomy less than 3 weeks ago (9/20) and it was the BEST thing I could have done for myself. It was truly a breeze compared to the pain of those terrible periods. I don't feel like I'm post-op at all. No pain, only had two pain shots in the hospital, not even a Tylenol since! This will give you back your life and your job without enduring those terrible periods. Take care of yourself and post here; the girls on this board are the best friends a hystersister could ask for. *Hugs* to you tomorrow!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2000, 10:29 AM

Your fears are not irrational, they are normal. LOL, I even felt that way when I was pregnant: What if I go to the DR saying I'm pregnant and then, I'm not? How silly will I look?

In fact, I even did it this summer: delayed going to the DR when I discovered I had prolapsed... something. What if there is nothing wrong? How stupid will I look? Even told the Dr that, other than that protrusion I felt dropping out of my vagina, I was fine. Once he examined me, to rule out fibroids, and I told him there WERE fibroids, he said: Fine, heh?

I think it's all part of being a woman: we're supposed to go through these monthly things, not complain and accept that it is part of our lot. When it gets complicated (like extra heavy bleeding, erratic periods, pain and protruding organs), we are afraid of being the laughing stock and of being accused of being wimpy females. Turns out WE'RE the only ones who think that way!!!
Unread 10-10-2000, 01:00 PM

HI. I HAD A VAGINAL HYSTERECTOMY ON SEPT. 19TH. I WAS SO SCARED I WAS READY TO BACK OUT AS THEY WERE WHEELING ME INTO THE OR!!! I HAVE HAD HORRENDOUS PERIODS SINCE I WAS 14 - I AM NOW 41. I HAVE BEEN BEGGING MY DOCTOR FOR 3 YEARS FOR A HYSTERECTOMY AND ALL I HAD ON THE ULTRASOUND WERE A FEW SMALL FIBROIDS. SAME AS YOU...NO OTHER PROBLEMS THAT THEY COULD SEE BUT I COULD NOT LEAVE MY HOUSE FOR 3 DAYS A MONTH. I BLED THRU SUPER TAMPONS AND OVERNIGHT PADS SOMETIMES 4 AN HOUR. OF COURSE, IT WOULD BE BAD FOR ABOUT AN HOUR OR TWO, THEN SUBSIDE, THEN COME BACK. I HAD CLOTS THE SIZE OF LEMONS FALLING OUT OF ME. I COULD NOT STAND IT. HE TRIED TALKING ME INTO GOING ON THE PILL FOR 3 YEARS - I WAS ON THE PILL IN MY 20'S - WAS NOT GOING ON IT IN MY 40'S - TO0 MANY HEALTH RISKS... A FEW MONTHS AGO, I WENT INTO HIS OFFICE AND TOLD HIM MY PERIOD WAS RUINING MY LIFE - I HAD RESEARCHED MY OPTIONS AND WANTED A HYSTERECTOMY - I WAS NOT LEAVING WITHOUT A YES...HE FINALLY CONSENTED. BETWEEN HAVING HORRIBLE PMS FOR 2 WEEKS A MONTH AND THEN HORRIBLE, PAINFUL, HEAVY PERIODS - I COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE AND HE KNEW IT... THE OPERATION WAS A BREEZE - THE FIRST 24 HOURS STUNK - I FELT HORRIBLE FROM THE MORPHINE AND THE ANESTHESIA - BUT I TOLD THEM THE NEXT MORNING TO DISCONNECT THE MORPHINE AND WITHIN AN HOUR I WAS WALKING THE HALLS AND I WENT HOME THAT NIGHT TAKING MOTRIN ONLY. I NEVER NEEDED PAIN MEDS - I HAD UNCOMFORTABLE BLADDER SPASMS FOR ABOUT 9 DAYS BUT NOTHING - NOT EVEN THE SURGERY PAIN CAME CLOSE TO MY PERIOD PROBLEMS. I AM 3 WEEKS POST OP TODAY AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED TO TALK MORE...SORRY I AM RATTLING ON BUT I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS...NO MORE PERIODS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK - MARYANN [email protected]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register