Gained over 20 lbs (2006) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Twenty Pound Club

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gained over 20 lbs (2006) Gained over 20 lbs (2006)

Unread 04-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Gained over 20 lbs (2006)

Hmmm, I was blaming (in my head anyway) the climara for my own personal weight gain. Seems that doesn't matter as I see some of you aren't on anything. I am a lifetime member of weight watchers, I already had an underactive thyroid, and am reasonably active...walking and such. But, yes, since my surgery a small ammount of very annoying weight has crept up. I also am retaining fluids which I must avoid as I take medication for high blood pressure. For the most part I continue to eat as I always did, but this is bringing me down a bit as I seem to not be able to lose as quickly as I always could in the past. One thing I know from weight watchers is keep track of everything you eat (something I don't practice like I should). Let's face it misery loves company and it helps to know I'm not the only one struggling with this issue right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2006, 10:42 AM

I have a couple of thoughts:

* if you are interested in trying a supplement such as
CLA you might want to check it out on pdrhealth.com
they have info on a lot of supplements. Some of it is
pretty technical but if you skip that you will find some
summary sentences that boil it down to what you
want to know.
* taking some supplements (multivitamans, omega 3,
milk thistle, etc) is beneficial to me because my
knees hurt less and it kind of reminds me that I am
trying to keep up a healthy lifestyle.
* I have to exercise! there is no getting around that.
* I agree with JudiBethAnn. The mediterranean diet
rocks! it tastes good and is good for you and, bonus
points, it is easy to prepare.
Good Luck Everybody!
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:25 PM

I have just read some of the threads.My problem is that it is four months and I have gained 32lbs...I cant beleive it.I have begun in the last month to have a real problem with fliud retention(I can feel my poor legs swell up like balloons when I come home from work and sit down)I had a terrible time in the hospital and with the surgeon..I am to embarassed to see any of the...any one can help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
can someone help me

I have just read some of the threads.My problem is that it is four months and I have gained 32lbs...I cant beleive it.I have begun in the last month to have a real problem with fliud retention(I can feel my poor legs swell up like balloons when I come home from work and sit down)I had a terrible time in the hospital and with the surgeon..I am to embarassed to see any of them..any one can help me
Unread 06-12-2006, 04:37 PM

It's been 4 months and I've gained 10 pounds. I'm going to try sit-ups and jogging to lose the weight.
Unread 06-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Sunshine 11 & others -- I gained a little over 25lbs since my TAH in June '05. After my surgery I lost about 15lbs in about one month and a half. (Too much, too quickly) But since then the weight has crept back up. I eat the same as I used to but I know my activity level is not as intense or as regular as it used to be. I feel like I gain weight (fat) more easily then I used to. I also still swell up around my pelvic area. "swelly belly?" It usually happens after I exercise or during a particularly physical day at work. I also retain a little water, puffy feet and hands in the am. I still think my body is not back in balance (hormonally and digestively). I've slowly been getting my weight back down, have lost about 9 lbs. I try to eat a little protein, vege, and fruit or carb. at every meal. Nothing too crazy or restrictive. My biggest and most helpful change is to eat a smaller dinner and don't eat at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. I've found that setting small goals and making one postive change a week works best for me. I also have to do some form of EXERCISE to lose weight and to feel better. I also started taking a multi-vitamin, calcium, and 1tbsp of flaxseed/evening primrose oil just about everyday. I don't know if it's helped with weight loss, but I do feel better physically.
Our bodies have been through a big change, I think it just takes time, alot of trial and error and persistance to restore balance and health. (I have yet to find a really good solution for the puffy belly or water retention but I' m still looking. Right now I ice my belly after working out. I'm drinking more water (8 glasses a day) and I think it is helping with the water retention but I have absolutely no proof of that. Good luck to everyone.

TEAPOT -If you're retaining alot of water, I'd see a dr and get things checked out. (If you are not happy with your dr/surgeon, trust your feelings and my find another one if you can.) I hate going to dr, I always feel very uncomfortable and embarassed about talking about all my problems., but I try to remind myself that Doctors are there to help and to give you answers and options. Do you have a good family dr that can see if you don't want to go to your gyn? Hang in there!
Unread 06-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Thank you ladies for replying...I fell like I made the wrong decision by having the surgery..I know deep in my heart I didn't have a chioce..the blood lose was beginning to effect my heart...I see the cardiologist Tuesday and know that he is going to have a fit..I see my gyn. on Monday ..I guess that I wasn't expecting this to last so long...the doctors are playing God should have the consideration to tell you all of this..Thanks for listening....Teapot
Unread 06-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Tea- I'm glad you are seeing the Docs - It's important and I hope they give you the best care possible, you deserve it!! - I also think it's good for them (esp. the gyn's) to see and hear about all the aftereffects of a hysterectomy- I too had some doubt after my surgery as to whether I really needed it? (It sounds to me like you really had no other option,and that you made the right decision!!) I had a pretty scary looking ovarian cyst (which absolutely had to come out) but the fibroids on my uterus were completely benign and I still feel like I could have left it in. My doctor also didn't tell me anything about recovery and I did NOT expect the healing process to be so up and down or to take so long.... Healing from a Hysterectomy is not exactly a linear process but things do get better. I'm happy to listen -anytime. Good luck with dr appts.
Unread 06-30-2006, 09:31 PM

My surgery was in May 2004, and I'd gained 30 lbs at the end of May 2006!! Water weight, yes; 'swelly belly'-I still got it! ; I work out with weights 2-3 times a week, walk for aerobic exercise (though not as regularly as I should). I am not taking hormones, have been taking Thyroid and recently had it checked (normal); and my dr. put me on blood pressure for the water retention!! So I am having a rough time with the weight too. The Mediterranean diet, huh, girls?? I'll look into that! I've lost about 9 lbs this month, and I think it's water. But at least I'm not swollen in the AM-whew! A dear friend gave me some advice: Only you can do it! So I've taken that to heart, and am working hard on losing this stuff. I'm 36, btw...yes, I heard the same thing from my doc about the metabolism slowing down after 30. Sigh...
Unread 07-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I can't gain anymore weight

This last year I gained 25 pounds. I craved sweets so bad.

Since my surgery I have been thinking so much about eatting right, exercise, getting fit, but I still have some healing to do.

After my 40th Birthday, even with a good diet and exercise, losing weight has been almost impossible.

I'm now almost 44 YO and 50 pounds overweight. Since the surgery on Monday, I'm feeling really good in my head and I'm determined to change my lifestyle.

Good luck to you Ladies. We have gone through a lot and deserve to feel good about ourselves.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register