Scheduled TAH Period Late! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Period Late!

I'm 47. Period is very late. Definitely not pregnant. Could it be from stress, perimenopause? I'm scheduled July 7th. Definitely scared. I have fibroids and very excessive bleeding. To be frank, I hate wearing a pad every day because I don't know when she's coming. I have to admit, I just wish she would come now and I can say...last time. Then the 2nd guessing comes into play. What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Re: Period Late!

In fact it could be either stress or perimenopause or a combination of both. I know it's hard but try to relax. If it's coming, it'll come. And one way or another, you're sure not ever having to worry about periods again after July 7!
Unread 06-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Hi stomsick -

(((SurprisedInNB)) is correct - stress can definitely make your period late. Perimenopause can as well, if you are in perimenopause.

I know just wearing a pad is miserable.....

Keep your self very busy to take your mind off the surgery. That should help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2015, 09:24 AM

Thank you ladies! Trying not to think about it. My last period was in April and was horrible. Absolutely horrible. But no it knowing when she's coming is also bad. I just want it done. How was your recovery? Did you have TAH? Open? Any suggestions?
Unread 06-07-2015, 09:36 AM

My periods started becoming irregular when I was 49 1/2. After I turned 51, I had four: one in December, one in January, one in June and one in August! I never knew when the next one would strike, but I *did* know that the end of the tunnel was in sight.

I had a TAH with a vertical incision. My main suggestion is: don't panic. I had a pleasant, three-day hospital stay and an easy recovery, with minimal pain and no complications. I got loads of cleaning, laundry and shopping done before surgery. Afterwards, I just kicked back and relazed. I went for lots of short walks and also sat outside reading, sewing and playing with my cats. I realized that I don't take time like that for myself often enough, so since surgery I've been trying to remember to do so more often!

Oh, another suggestion: walking is key. When the nurse shows up at your bedside the morning after surgery and "suggests" that you "might like to" go for a walk, get your butt out of bed and go for a walk. The first day after surgery I was really loopy from the anesthetic and narcotics. I did my lap around the ward with the nurse, sat upright in an armchair for maybe 15 minutes and then went back to bed. Repeat that afternoon.

But by the second day, I could walk multiple laps around the ward on my own! When I wasn't walking, I was sitting in the armchair reading. That really set the course for the rest of my recovery.
Unread 06-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Hi stomsick -

I too had a open abdominal surgery with a six inch vertical incision.

I would not call my recovery easy and a breeze. I would say that my recovery was more typical. I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 days. And yes, walked the day after surgery as well as many more frequent times while I was at the hospital.

I got home on a Friday, and DH was with me for the weekend, and then went back to work. I was by myself during the day, and he came home at night to cook, do dishes, and do other necessities. He took care of laundry, and other more major household chores. He also drove and helped shop. I could handle minor items, but did items very slowly, and in batch mode. I could make myself breakfast and lunch. I did lots of brief and frequent walks, and increased distance.

I went back to work after 3 weeks to a moderate stress desk job, but could only handle part time for another 4 weeks. I was VERY TIRED for quite a while and it took time to get my stamina back. I am a power walker, and it took about 9 months before I was at my pre-op speed and distance. It took about 15 months to where I did not think about my surgery.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. Be sure to click on the related articles.
I found the most helpful:
-Meals in the freezer that you can just pop in the microwave.
-Get loose fitting clothes
-Get a recovery corner prepared

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register