Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020

Unread 08-22-2020, 04:08 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaC View Post
awake at 4.30am, sipping hot ginger. Realising what a long, slow path to recovery is necessary and that I will be balancing a desire to do more and the need to let my body heal.
Awake because I'm not tired - the anesthetic fog has gone and the aches are not so bad that they keep me awake. But I am doing so much less physical activity than in the weeks before surgery. Since April I have been building my fitness and by June I was doing 3 miles brisk walking, 6 days a week. Yesterday I had a slow walk for 15 minutes and felt OK but I am wary of pushing too fast.
In the middle of the night as I contemplate the coming weeks, it's so good to have a place to share my thoughts and to remember how different we all are
I totally understand!!
I was also walking 4-6miles a day or riding my bike. To do nothing as active as that now for 3 days straight is causing me to feel an overwhelming sense of desperation and anxiety. Like how much longer before I can pick and go for a long walk?!?!
I hope that any pre-fitness we had helps to speed up our recoveries.
I am also nervous about pushing too much or laying around too much. I wish there was a timeframe we could follow, kinda like when I used to train for marathons and there was an amount of miles we had to run every few days...
I remember my doctor saying that walking is highly encouraged but that I would also tire easily, however I also need little goals to keep me going mentally. I like that you did 15 minutes, maybe the next day you walk 16 minutes or none at all but keep build up slowly... I think I'll do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 17-Aug 23,2020

DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS/INCISION CARE:

I thought I'd post some of the helpful hints that I've seen along the way on HysterSisters. This is from a post from one of our Hostesses that I thought was really good information to know:

Your Discharge Instructions
When you are discharged from the hospital, your doctor will give you written instructions for pain medications and symptoms that should prompt a call to your doctor or a trip to the emergency room.

In most cases you should call your doctor or head to the Emergency Room at your local hospital if you experience any of the following:

- Severe nausea/vomiting
- Increased pain
- Fever greater than 101 degrees for 24 hours
- Difficulty breathing
- Unusual bleeding
- Leg pain

Always call your doctor's office with any concerns you have about your health. When To Call Your Doctor

Caring For Your Incisions
Some types of hysterectomies have external incisions that require tending. Discharge instructions from the hospital should contain specific instructions for caring for yours. If they do not, ask your surgeon or call his/her office.

Vaginal Hysterectomy
While a vaginal hysterectomy does not have external incisions, if you had anterior or posterior repairs, you may have an episiotomy-like incision; if so, the first thing to remember is to avoid sitting. For immediate relief, use a peri-bottle filled with water as hot as you can stand it to spray over the area every time you visit the washroom. If you were not given one when you left the hospital, a sterilized plastic condiment bottle will work just as well. Another option is to use a clean wash-cloth that has been thoroughly soaked in hot water. Having a TVH could mean you will have extra vaginal swelling and soreness, as everything has been done through the vagina. An ice pack or bag of frozen veggies wrapped in a towel can provide comfort and relieve swelling.

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy - Includes daVinci® Hysterectomy
Usually the 4-5 small incisions of a laparoscopic hysterectomy can be covered with band aids. Although your incisions are small, internal healing must still take place. Be sure to rest enough so your body can heal properly.

SILS or LESS Hysterectomy
Known as the "single incision" in the belly button folds, keep your incision dry and clean and covered with a bandaid until cleared by your surgeon for bathing.

Abdominal Hysterectomy
You may come home from the hospital with stitches (or staples) or your stitches may be removed before you leave the hospital and replaced with steri-strips. Generally, your incision should remain dry (or be dried carefully after a short shower) and covered loosely. A call to your doctor's office can calm your fears if your incision comes open. Be sure to rest and do not do any lifting. Overdoing things can stress your incision.

Unread 08-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Good evening my dear sweet ladies. I am excited to see more of you posting. Please keep joining us and letting us know how you are. This is the place to come with your questions, fears, concerns. We will laugh with you, cry with you, pray for you, and rejoice with you. When you feel like no one else understands, remember that we are here for you. Where else can you talk about your BM’s without having someone give you a weird look? It is so normal for the conversation today to be about Bathroom difficulties and gas after surgery. Here are some helpful hints that I have learned long the way. Please feel free to share what has helped you. Remember, we are on this journey together. Please, pretty please only use laxatives, suppositories, or enemas with the permission of your doctor. Doctors vary in their post op restrictions and right now your healing and recovery is your number one priority.

Bathroom Difficulties
Urinating: If you're having difficulty urinating, you may want to try blowing through a straw while trying to pee. For some reason it works and that way you won't "push" trying to get a stream initiated. The last thing you want to do is push! Running a quiet trickle of water in the sink also can be helpful.

BM: It's not too soon to start preparing for a BM. Constipation is a big concern after major surgery. Eat high fibre foods (pears, almonds, peas, bran, prune juice) and take stool softeners or a mild laxative (if approved by your doctor). I had my first BM at day 5... it was cause for a great celebration.

Gas pain: can be horrible. Mine settled in my shoulders and for a few days it was my chief complaint. Some sisters find relief by wetting a hand towel and microwaving it so it's warm (but not hot) and then placing it where you are feeling the most discomfort from gas. The moist heat will help to draw the gas out. Another idea is using a moist heating pad (which can be bought at most drugstores).
Keep taking it EASY ladies, drink plenty of water, take short frequent walks, and keep up with your pain meds. It is best to stay ahead of the pain, instead of playing catch up when the pain is on top of you.

5 Ways to Speed up Sluggish Bowels

10 Foods to Get Your Bowels Moving After Hysterectomy

Avoiding Constipation

Post op Prunes & Moving Dishes

Do This – Not That: Gas & Constipation

10 Tips for Managing Constipation

My love to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop View Post
Hi, I had robotic assisted surgery on 8/19.

My doc did not tell me to wear compression panties or a binder and the nurses all said I would not want wear anything tight - my panties should be 2-3 sizes bigger than I wear for comfort.

I’m ok with not trying squeeze into anything at the moment

I hope it helps to hear other drs are recommending same as instructions your dr gave you (didn’t note to wear compression/binder)- reading the posts, I was glad to see your post care didn’t note ... sometimes it’s soothing to know you aren’t the only one. :
dtop … it is good to see you on this side dear. I hope your recovery is going well for you.

Remember you are not alone … we will be with you each step of the way.

Unread 08-22-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaTheGood View Post
Azifikare,
I have a couple of LulaRue dresses... thats been my living wear since returning home, along with the oh so sexy mesh panties! Lol.
My dogs really don't care what I look like. I even rigged up a 3" pvc pipe so I can feed the dogs without leaning over to pick up the bowls.
I am planning to wear yoga pants next week. Maybe even with the belly band. Its just one moment at a time yet. My main concern is my bm and my itchy skin.
Health and healing to you! Hugs!
Keep me posted!!
Unread 08-22-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaTheGood View Post
Hi Sisters, Just completed day 2 of recovery. The abdominal swelling has gone down a lot! My gas pains have also diminished to near non existence. That is a huge relief. I'm on regular foods and am worried it may cause a back up in the bm department. Trying to stick to high fiber foods and lots of liquids. I experienced the random spray issues as most everyone here has upon urinating, but that is seeming to gradually return to normalcy.
I am still on percocet but am using it only for rest times. During the day I am able to control the pain with 800mg Ibuprofen.
I have been drinking green tea and water like a sieve. I can almost pick up the dog dish to feed the dogs. Still not gonna push it, but the belly binder is helping and so is the grabber tool.
I walk around the house and yard frequently. It seems to help with the gas.
I do want to ask if there is anyone else still feeling sluggish by day 3? Several times today I would sit and just start nodding off. Usually it wasn't related to my meds. Maybe my body is just still tired from the ordeal? I have multiple bruises and 4 incision sites. My back aches more than expected as though I was doing cartwheels for hours. Lol.
Oh, also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use near or around my incisions to help keep the itchiness down? After I showered today, I considered A&D ointment or Jergens with aloe.
Thank you to all my new Hyster Sisters! I am so grateful for you. Best wishes and hugs all around
GlendaTheGood … so glad you are doing well dear. on taking your pain meds at night … it is important to keep your pain controlled and get the rest you need.

Being tired is a normal part of this recovery. I always pop right back from surgery (even double knee replacement) and I was sure I would with my hysterectomy. My doctor warned me about how tired I would be and she was right. This recovery takes lots of rest ... it isn’t one you can push through. Keep drinking and walking … it is so helpful for your recovery.

best wishes on yours continued recovery.
Unread 08-22-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaC View Post
awake at 4.30am, sipping hot ginger. Realising what a long, slow path to recovery is necessary and that I will be balancing a desire to do more and the need to let my body heal.
Awake because I'm not tired - the anesthetic fog has gone and the aches are not so bad that they keep me awake. But I am doing so much less physical activity than in the weeks before surgery. Since April I have been building my fitness and by June I was doing 3 miles brisk walking, 6 days a week. Yesterday I had a slow walk for 15 minutes and felt OK but I am wary of pushing too fast.
In the middle of the night as I contemplate the coming weeks, it's so good to have a place to share my thoughts and to remember how different we all are
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Azifikare View Post
I totally understand!!
I was also walking 4-6miles a day or riding my bike. To do nothing as active as that now for 3 days straight is causing me to feel an overwhelming sense of desperation and anxiety. Like how much longer before I can pick and go for a long walk?!?!
I am also nervous about pushing too much or laying around too much. I wish there was a timeframe we could follow, kinda like when I used to train for marathons and there was an amount of miles we had to run every few days...
I remember my doctor saying that walking is highly encouraged but that I would also tire easily, however I also need little goals to keep me going mentally. I like that you did 15 minutes, maybe the next day you walk 16 minutes or none at all but keep build up slowly... I think I'll do the same.
HelenaC and Azifikare … it’s good to see you encouraging each other. I totally understand how hard it is to be physically active and then not be able to do very much … I broke multiple ribs 4 weeks ago and I am just being able to start back with my trainer. I want to encourage you to hang in there and keep encouraging each other. I love the idea of little goals … I know that will encourage your heart.

Keep listening to your body … it will let you know when you need to stop and rest. We want you to heal well the the first time and not have a set back.

love to you both.
Unread 08-23-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azifikare View Post
I totally understand!!
Azifikare, a clear timeframe is exactly what I would love, but I recognise it doesn't exist. Small, increasing goals seems the best approach. Yesterday I walked 15 minutes, sat on a bench and watched the world go by for 30 minutes, then walked the 15 minutes home. I did have a friend with me who could get the car if the walk back was too much.

I think I will repeat this for a few days before I try more. Trusting that if it doesn't hurt it is OK.
take care
Helena
Unread 08-23-2020, 03:30 AM

Hello everyone,
BM was helped along by stool softeners and the much more enjoyable ‘liquorice allsorts’ - not sure if you have those stateside but any liquorice will do! Not sleeping for more than three hours at a time due to night sweats which is irritating but an aleady-menopausal friend is bringing me vitamin E tablets and thinks they will help. Any other thought gratefully received. Have had a little walk but could not envisage anything like 15 minutes at the moment. Going to try little and often. Hospital advice was quite laidback, pretty much just ‘don’t lift anything’ and ‘hold your abdomen’ !! Thank goodness for HysterSisters!
Unread 08-23-2020, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A100 View Post
Hello everyone,
BM was helped along by stool softeners and the much more enjoyable ‘liquorice allsorts’ - not sure if you have those stateside but any liquorice will do! Not sleeping for more than three hours at a time due to night sweats which is irritating but an aleady-menopausal friend is bringing me vitamin E tablets and thinks they will help. Any other thought gratefully received. Have had a little walk but could not envisage anything like 15 minutes at the moment. Going to try little and often. Hospital advice was quite laidback, pretty much just ‘don’t lift anything’ and ‘hold your abdomen’ !! Thank goodness for HysterSisters!
I had forgotten liquorice did that job, I will start alternating with the prunes I have been eating regularly and which have been working well for easy BM.

My hospital advice was frustraitingly laidback too

Take care, Helena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register