General Anasthesia plus Spinal??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General Anasthesia plus Spinal??? General Anasthesia plus Spinal???

Unread 04-15-2004, 02:39 AM
General Anasthesia plus Spinal???

My surgery is in one week (TAH/BSO). I am having general anasthesia and have been told to think about a spinal as well. Has anyone had both? I am a dancer and very fearful of any kind of injection into my spine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 05:08 AM

Hi Clernie1,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

While I'm sorry that you are facing surgery, I am glad that you found HS and posted to introduce yourself. I had only a general with my hyst, but I'm sure that others will be along soon to share their experiences with you.

Please be sure to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints. They are full of great advice that will help you to prepare for your surgery and recovery.

Also, don’t forget to go back into your control panel and add your surgery date to your profile so you'll be on the calendar and will receive a special greeting from Hyster Sisters.

I hope you'll continue to read and to post any questions that you may have - we'll do our best to help.

S
Unread 04-15-2004, 08:18 AM

I am just two weeks post TAH/BSO and I had both. I didn't have a choice, this is what my Dr. prefers.

I had never had a spinal before. I remember going into the OR and getting on the OR table and I was told to lean forward and I felt him cleaning my back and that was it.

I didn't feel anything. I had a bandaid on my back when I woke up and that is all. I remember touching the side of my left leg after surgery and it was numb.

I haven't had any problems at all. Actually I wanted to go back to work this week but my Dr. said I HAVE to take off at least 4 weeks.

I wish you all the best!

Take care!

Katie1938
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 09:18 AM

i had both.. the spinal was for initial pain relief after the surgery... i awoke with no pain.. so it worked for me... when they did my spinal it stung when they put it in but i could immediately feel the effect... seconds later i was layed down and the next thing i knew i was waking in recovery... nothing to worry about... i was petrified but it really was not that bad.... take care... mary. xxx
Unread 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM

How about an epidural? It's different than a spinal in that it doesn't actually go into the dura; it stays just outside. You don't have to worry about headaches as a result of spinal fluid possibly leaking out a bit when they take the needle out. I had a saddle block (like a spinal) when one of my kids was born and the headaches were awful!

I had an epidural w/general anethesia for my surgery and it worked beautifully. I was given Versed to relax me, so I never felt pain when the epidural was being put in.

I woke up to no pain and stayed that way for a few hours. The epidural goes from 2 - 10. They had it set at 7, but turned it down to 5 after about 3 hrs. They can adjust it so you can feel your legs and walk, but not feel pain. (I could move my feet at 7 and feel my legs at 5) If you do feel pain, just tell them and they can turn it up, but then your legs will become heavier. With me they wanted me above a 5 on the pain scale before they would turn it up. I was between 4 and 5, so we left it alone and by the middle of the 1st night, I was pain-free again. I was also given Toradol every 6 hrs. - great stuff and you don't feel groggy.

Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register