roller coaster emotions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

roller coaster emotions roller coaster emotions

Unread 11-18-2004, 02:43 PM
roller coaster emotions

Hi Ladies, Well two weeks today it will be done. I am going through some roller coaster emotions here, I was diagnosed with simple hyper/plasia with atypia cells, and advised to have a TAH/BSO, I do trust my doctor completely and I am satisfied with my decision, but okay here goes the question of all questions. First explanation I am 50, do not have children, always wanted them but never had the opportunity to do so for reasons to long to explain, but just did not do it. Well anyway I am very sad now that this is sort of like the final decision, I mean I know that I am 50 and they probably dont work anyway, lol. I know that I am probably being foolish and this is the hormones and stress from the surgery, but I find my self crying at the drop of a hat, example the other day this lady found out in the office that she was having a girl and I was so happy but at the same time so sad. Gosh am I loosing it. Thanks ladies for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2004, 03:20 PM
roller coaster emotions

I think it is normal and natural to mourn and grieve a bit. The surgery will be kind a closure to things for you. Its only natural you will feel some emotions. I think you ought to go ahead and cry if you feel like it. Do you have a significant other you can share your feelings with, and whose shoulder you can cry on? Griefs are easier when shared.

Unread 11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
roller coaster emotions

Hi Toni B.,
I think what you are going through is completely normal. I am 42 and never wanted children, so I didn't have much difficulty deciding on a hysterectomy after my Dr. advised me to have one. I scheduled the surgery and was very happy with my decision. Then after my pre-op appointment, I met a co-worker and his very pregnant wife. I wished them well, got into my car, and burst into tears. I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed because I could never have children, even though I didn't plan on having children. I thought I was going crazy, but then when I talked it out with my BF, I realized that even though I didn't plan on having children, I could still change my mind. The decision was still up to me. Once my uterus was gone, that was it. No going back. I think I was greiving for that ultimate loss of control. Once I talked it out, I felt much better.
I hope your surgery and recovery goes well.
Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2004, 07:10 AM
roller coaster emotions

I had to have my hyesterectomy fairly quickly because of possible ovarian cancer so I was agonizing over that before surgery. After I found out I was ok, the part about losing my uterus and no more children hit me hard. I'm 48, have 2 young adult sons, left an abusive marriage 3 years before my surgery, remarried a great guy, and had kind of hoped that maybe I'd get lucky again in the baby dept...

I was amazed at the intensity of my grief. Fortunately I see a great therapist who told me that my feelings were very normal and that she had worked with other women post-hysterectomy who had similar feelings.

No matter how old we are, if we had children or didn't want them, I think that it is a significant loss for many of us. I'm now at 12 weeks post-op and feel much better emotionally (and physically).

Debbi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register