Upcoming hysterectomy: Am I fooling myself??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Am I fooling myself??? Upcoming hysterectomy: Am I fooling myself???

Unread 04-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Am I fooling myself???

My DvH is next week--uterus, cervix, Fallopian tubes, ovaries all to be removed through the vagina.

I go from panicky-fear to calm with a positive attitude.

I know surgery is no walk in the park.

I know everyone is different.

I know there will be pain after the surgery and I hope that it's manageable with meds (already filled my Rx for Norco and ibuprofen) and that the meds will keep things at a level of 5 or 6 for me.

I don't think I can "do" a *7* for pain. Doing a "6" for any length of time is iffy.

Am I just fooling myself? I've never had children, and I've never had major surgery in my whole entire life, and I think I might be a wuss.

Please please give me some positives about your experience with DvH and post op pain and such. I've read a couple of posts that kinda scared me!!!

If you had a bad experience, please please consider that I (and others) take things to heart and hearing about negative experiences can be a big bummer for me and others! Yes, I appreciate the honesty of answers because knowing stuff is helpful and I can be proactive about after-care meds and such, but I guess I'm super sensitive right now.

Thanks in advance for understanding!
Jo
P.S. Does chocolate help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Am I fooling myself???

Oddly enough I did not have any real pain. Just sore, achy, exhausted. I had a very long surgery. 6 hours. I kept on my pain med schedule. That is Important and I think one of the reasons for a good recovery along with following Docs. orders to a "T".

My best to you!!!
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM

Oh, I completely lost my taste for chocolate. Even 18 months later. I now prefer white chocolate, which really isn't chocolate at all!! Go figure! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM

For me, chocolate ALWAYS helps!
I had no real pain, just a tightness and sore. I only took 3 pain pills in total. One for the ride home from the hospital "just in case", one the first night I was home to help me sleep, and the 3rd about 2 weeks later when I was dumb enough to go to Walmart for way too long lol.
The rest of the time, the 800 mg ibuprofen was enough along with some Tylenol,
I wasn't one of the lucky ones to be up and back to normal in a week or two so I was disappointed at first, but after the 3rd or 4th week, I made giant leaps back into normalcy. Now I'm 6 weeks and going back to work next week and almost back to my old self, minus the pain and heavy bleeding
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:35 AM

I tell you I use to be a trooper with pain lol. This will be my 7th surgery on the 21st. But over the past 5 yrs I've gotten severe shingles, acute idiopathic pancreatitis, sepsis that collapsed lungs bilat and now my pain tolerance is zilch. Not including all this bleeding cramping and pain leading up to my hysterectomy. I simply hate to be in pain now I've become a big ol baby 😔 some can tolerate it (like I use to) and some just can't. I suggest to just take the meds prescribed if you're hurting why suffer😊 you're body will tell you if or when you've overdid something believe me, stop and rest. Just keep focused that this is only temporary and each day you're getting and will feel better. Overall we will feel much better. Norco will be effective and I'm sure your Dr prescribed Norco 5/325mg the directions usually say take one tab for mild to moderate pain but to take two for moderate to severe pain •6 & •7 you are worried about. I'm a nurse and I see those directions given all the time. You'll be ok! Your worst pain will be the gas pains from what I gathered from my previous lap, GasX works well and stay away from carbonated beverages

Good luck you'll do fine! 💗
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:38 AM

I was able to manage my pain with extra strength Tylenol and Advil combo. I get so sick to my stomach with anything stronger. I had a TVH (kept ovaries) and A&P repairs. The pain wasn't as bad as I imagined. I was more irritated by my stitches (especially when they were dissolving). I just felt "scratchy" when I moved. Be sure to use ice and heat as well. I was pretty much couch bound for about four wks. I just didn't have energy and felt wobbly and lightheaded for those first four wks. From four and on were huge leaps in recovery and being able to stand for more than five mins. Everyone is different. Just be sure to have lots of help, listen to your doc, listen to your body!!, keep up with whatever pain meds works for you, and rest! And the more chocolate the better 😄
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Sherbear, did you find more relief from ice or heat?
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM

I have one of those gel ice packs I usually used between my legs lol. (I still had clothes on....I didn't want to freeze anything lol) and on my lower belly. Especially for days when my pee seemed to spray everywhere (swollen days). Heat I used for my lower back and I had a pain in my one bum cheek that bothered me for about two days and heat was awesome.
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Lol@didnt want to freeze anything ! Oh so both huh? I have my heating pad but not ice packs, I will buy some so I can try both.
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:54 AM

So, my hysterectomy hasn't happened yet, but I did have a lap 6 months ago with the novasure and all kinds of other fun stuff.

The pain was not unbearable at all. The Norco took care of it and made me sleep. I found a heating pad did help (I cramped from the novasure). After just a few days I switched from Norco to ibuprofen and it helped quite a bit.

My throat was the worst of it honestly. I didn't have any throat drops, I suggest getting some for sure. I drank tea with honey and lemon and lots of water. Pudding cups were heavenly

My pain never got over a 5. And that was only because I slept through my phone alarm for my night time pain meds on day 2. I know this wasn't a hysterectomy, but they did a lot to me in there. I just remember the throat soreness was the worst of the pain, and even it wasn't too bad.

I go from ready to get it over with, to wanting to cancel too. I think it's normal. This surgery will alter us forever. DH told me last night he can't want for the surgery so I can start living life again. I basically go to work, take kids where they need to go, and come home to park myself on the couch with a heating pad. It's no life really.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register