Scheduled TVH for June 13th Kinda nervous!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

for June 13th Kinda nervous!!! for June 13th Kinda nervous!!!

Unread 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
for June 13th Kinda nervous!!!

I still have a few weeks to my planned hysterectomy. I'm more than ready to get on the road to recovery. Is there certain things that others experienced that might help me along the path? I have a 4yr old daughter and I know that it will be hard for her to understand why mommy can't play. I'm a pretty active person; but have been dragged down by multiply cysts, and endless bleeding for about 6months straight. In the past I've had gallbladder surgery so i'm not super worried about going under. (lol at least not right now). Will I be able to sleep in my bed or will I need to sleep in the chair for a couple of days? what about food? I've pretty much lost all appetite now but do have to eat. I'm pretty clueless as to what I should prepare and set up before surgery. Any help at all will be great!!! God bless~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Re: for June 13th Kinda nervous!!!

My surgery's in 2 weeks and 6 days. :-) I've been reading lots about other people's experiences, and no one mentions having to sleep in a chair. In fact, most people seem to spend the first week or so either on the couch or in bed. There also don't seem to be any restrictions on food *after* surgery. The main problems that may arise are: (1) lack of energy to prepare food; (2) lack of appetite; (3) constipation.

Reading the post-op info on this site helped me get a better idea of what to expect.

As for preparations, a lot depends on your living situation. I live alone, so one of the things I'm doing to prepare is stocking up on dried, canned and frozen groceries. I've made arrangements with a neighbour for her to pick up perishable groceries, prescriptions, etc. I want to get my garden planted before my surgery date, also give the apartment a scrub, do as much laundry as I can and give my hair a trim.

The standard recovery period is six weeks, with mobility being particularly limited for the first 2-3 weeks, so whatever you would normally be doing during that time, try to get it done in advance, postpone it, cancel it or get someone else to do it.

I haven't got children myself, so hopefully someone else will have ideas re: your daughter. But hasn't she ever been sick before herself? Cold? Flu? Chicken pox? If she remembers a time when she was sick and didn't feel like playing, maybe that's a place to start with explaining how you feel.
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM

I am nervous also I dont have an actual date but he said asap and my consultation is on the 20th and i have so many questions i dont know where to start ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Hi jmfmmmem

I was able to sleep in my bed when I got home from the hospital 3 1/2 days after surgery. Some women do sleep in chairs, though. Everyone is different.

Exhaustion with this surgery is a real issue. For the first two weeks, taking a shower and getting to the couch will be an accomplishment. You will need help at home with dishes, laundry, driving, cooking, cleaning, etc. You will also need help with your little one. For recovery, think weeks and not days. Take enough time off work to recover. How long depends on your surgery, your recovery, and your work.

I had a real appetite loss after surgery... it took several months before I had any appetite. I ate when it was time to eat, and that is about it. This is pretty normal.

To set up for surgery and your down time...
- Get meals in the freezer that you can just pop in the microwave.
- Get comfy, loose fitting clothes - I spent 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts.
- Get DVDs, light reading, etc. for your recovery.
- Get blankets and pillows to relax and snuggle in your recovery corner.
- Get a small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes, also helps with pet and kid visits.
- Super clean your house... you won't be doing that for a while.

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:18 AM

thanks ladies for all of the input. My hubby is a good supporter but doesn't clean house well. (his ideas' aren't like mine). I think i'll start with that and clean top to bottom.
I pray everyone else's surgery goes smoothly.
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Im on the schedule for June 12th pending insurance approval. I am excited and nervous also!!!

Not sure what type I am having yet but I know what you mean about husbands and cleaning house. I do the litter boxes in the house and have a routine and Im not sure the husband will do them the way I do. Going to do a through clean the week before and then try to have things set up in a way I can direct it to be done from bed or the couch.

Dinners are another thing, trying to do some research now on dinners I can prepare ahead of time so they just have to be heated up. I dont want to have to send the hubby out every night after working all day to pick up dinner.

Will be thinking of you on the 13th and hoping everything goes well!
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM

thanks everyone for the support. I hope your surgery goes well on the 12th.
I'll be thinking of you as well.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Surgery on June 11, so I'm right there with you. Just wanted to say good luck and I be thinking about all my June sisters (and everyone else as well).
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:46 AM

I too want to wish all of us scheduled for June good luck and seedy successful recoveries.

Hubby and I are going to plan out meals and get it all taking care of the week of the 20th because I have no dr's visits that week ... going get a haircut & buy some comfy nightgowns or dresses to throw on in the house.

Im not overly nervous just more overwhelmed .. trying to make sure everything I want done will be done. I gues safter I see the dr Friday I will know more what to expect.

I will probably have tons more to ask lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register