Want to know if I've made the right decision..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Want to know if I've made the right decision..... Want to know if I've made the right decision.....

Unread 04-15-2004, 06:06 AM
Want to know if I've made the right decision.....

Hi, everyone. I'm new on the board and in reading through all the posts of everyone's experiences, I was wondering if y'all could offer some opinions.

I've decided (with my dr, of course) to have a TAH. I have very heavy bleeding with clots during my periods, a couple of small fibroids and ovarian cysts. I had surgery three years ago to remove a softball-sized ovarian cyst (along with several of her smaller friends) and excessive endometriosis. Then last February, I had a c-section during which my dr discovered still more endo and cysts, so he cleaned everything out again. This past December, I went back because of the excessive mentrual bleeding and discovered the fibroids and that I was anemic. At a surgical consult in January, he put me on BCP for three months to see if they would help, which they didn't. Instead of a few very heavy days, I bled lightly off and on for three months!

So yesterday at my appt, the dr asked me what I wanted to do and I told him I want the TAH. I'm so very tired of the screwy cycles, the cysts, the endo, the fibroids. I'm afraid that if I do nothing I'll be having to have surgery for fibroids and cysts every couple of years. My DH is very supportive and he thinks I should definitely do the hyst and be done with it (we've got 3 kids and my tubes are tied so procreation is no longer an issue ). But all the posts about complications and long recovery times are making me nervous. Thoughts, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 06:37 AM

I think you have made the right decision. This will decrease you chances of having to have more surgeries.

If I am not mistaken, recovery time depends on you. If you take it easy in the begining and then start working yourself up to doing a little at a time, you will be fine. But if you try to do to much at once, thats where the problems come in.

My mom had a TAH with bladder suspension, by the time she was 4 weeks post-op, she was walking the 1/2 mile to town.

I am having a TVH, and was told to increase my activity level a little at a time. To use fatigue as my guide, and rest when I feel tired.

Rest is the key word here, you need to get plenty of it while recovering.

Kedi
Unread 04-15-2004, 07:25 AM

Have you considered a second or third opinion? A hysterectomy can be a life altering event for women (for the good or bad). There is no way to predict who may have complications and who may not. You need to be as sure as possible that this is the way you want/need to go. Have the surgery because you are sure in your own heart and mind, not to please someone else.

You may want to check out the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives Board (click here) at the top there is a great list with links to all kinds of alternatives.

Be sure to check out the PreOp Hints and Articles (click here) PostOp Articles (click here) and Princess Stories (click here) for information and answers to help you get ready for surgery and what to expect after surgery. There is also an awesome resource link directory you can get to by clicking here or click Resources at the top of each page.

Read and research as much as possible to help you, in conjunction with your DR, make the best decisions for you.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register