managing pain question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

managing pain question managing pain question

Unread 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
managing pain question

I have been lurking here for over 2 months and figured I would finally post

I just had my pre-op with my doctor and everything is on track for my surgery date of September 29th. I have researched my procedure LAVH with possible right ovary removal (depends on if the cyst can be removed). As we had already discussed the procedure in full at my previous visit, I though I knew what to expect, however I was advised of my options for pain management after the procedure, upon waking up. I can either have a spinal (no pain upon waking) or use a morphine pump (pain first, then relief).

My question is which should I choose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Re: managing pain question

For one surgery I had, they gave me a spinal and also added a long-acting morphine right in the spinal. Then I got additional morphine shots in my IV (not a pump, but actual injections) every 4 hours for one day.

It was, hands down, the best post-op relief I've ever had!

The problem for me with the pump device is that I tend to push the button, feel great for a few minutes, then doze off.... and wake up in lots of discomfort.

That was just my experience, but if I have the chance again, I'll pick a spinal with additional pain medicine in the spinal.
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM

I would go with the spinal. I did not have that option for my hyst, but it is much better pain control I found (previous c-sections)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM

I had the spinal block as well as the morphine pain control pump. This was a great combination for the first 24 hours.

After that I moved to percocet and will remain on that for the foreseeable future due to my complications.

Best of luck to you with your procedure.
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughts/experiences....It has made me more comfortable with the idea of getting a spinal block for pain control. I have never had one before and wasn't sure it would be effective...again thanks
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:40 PM

My choices were spinal OR morphine pump. I took spinal and it was awesome. It lasts about 15 hours and by then I was on oral meds. I hated how groggy morphine pumps made me in the past for my C's. I had TAH last week.
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:17 PM

I would go with the spinal and a PCA pump as well. When I had my knee replaced last year they did nerve blocks in my leg and also had me hooked up to a pump with dilaudid because I can't tolerate morphine. Having both was a really good combination so if they give you that option, take it.

If you have to choose one or the other though, I'd definitely go with the spinal. I also had a spinal for my c-section years ago and it made a huge difference afterward.
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Having had previous back surgery, a spinal is out of the question for me. Morphine is very potent... it'll get rid of the pain. I had a morphine pump when I had bowel resection surgery. 38 staples vertically, and hundreds of stitches inside. Yep, Morphine is GOOD.
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:57 AM

When I got in the OR, they gave me some light sedation and then a spinal. I was pretty scared because I really hadn't looked into what that was all about but it ended up being absolutely no big deal and I wouldn't hesitate having another.
When I woke up I couldn't feel my body below the waist and it was wonderful...lol Before that wore off they had me hooked up to the pain pump and I was pretty comfortable. Good combo and I recommend it.
Unread 09-25-2010, 03:38 PM

I had a LAVH. The dr. didn't even discuss pain med. I didn't have either of those. Not sure what pain med (pill) I took in the hospital. But when I got home, I took Lortab for about 3-4 days, then ibuprofen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register