Got my hysterectomy date... now to get ready | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got my hysterectomy date... now to get ready Got my hysterectomy date... now to get ready

Unread 04-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Got my hysterectomy date... now to get ready

Hi everyone

I just got news today that my surgery is on the 14th May.

I am 31, I live in New Zealand and have 4 children. I am scheduled to have a TVH with anterior and posterior repairs and vaginal vault suspension.

I am in reasonably good shape, I'm 52kgs and fairly active with running around after all the kids etc but want to make sure I am at my best before the surgery in 3 weeks.

What things should I be focusing on doing over the next few weeks? Do you have any health/fitness/diet advice that you wish you had known before your surgery or you are currently doing?

Thanks in advance lovely ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2015, 06:15 AM
Re: Got my hysterectomy date... now to get ready

I am waiting on the phone call to find out my surgery date. I have 3 kids, 2 in school and 1 potty training, as well as a husband who works weird hours. So I have a lot more on my plate during recovery.

I plan on getting the whole house extra clean, sorting all the kids toys, freezing meals and getting well stocked up on groceries.

I will be putting together several simple play bins my kids can destroy so I can rest during recovery, as well as setting up one family member a day to come over and play with them for a couple hours and walk the dog.

Also I plan to eat lightly a few days before surgery and drink lots of water. And stocking up on recovery foods, basically whatever you eat and drink after having stomach bug, that's what you will want after surgery.

And we will be staying with my parents for the first few days so I will be packing everyone's bags along with my bag for the hospital.
Unread 04-23-2015, 09:13 AM

The weeks leading up to my surgery I ate very healthy to make sure my immune syst was optimal. I made sure to follow Drs orders: no alcohol, no herbal remedies. Important to avoid bleeding. Check with your Dr about what you can and can not take the weeks before surgery. I also did breathing excercises to prepare my lungs for anesthesia. I practiced getting in and out of bed without using my abdominals.
Of course I froze meals and cleaned up the house.
Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Hi choo choo dot -

You should get specific instructions from your doctor as to what you cannot take. Follow this to the letter. Please inform your doctor about any herbal OTC meds and teas you take, even if they seem benign. Some of these can thin your blood, so you really want to be sure.

Eating a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables and lean meats is always good. Drink plenty of water. This goes for after your surgery too. Here is an article on Alcohol Consumption before Hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register